• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RWBY (Web Series).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote
Ahh, okay. I appreciate that. Smile
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Volume 3 Chapter 9

aka The serious and despair episode.

spoiler[The Penny and Pyrrha match goes normal until Emerald uses her powers on Pyrrha to make her think Penny is launching a thousand swords at her which cause her to use magnetic power which rips Penny into pieces.
The crowd is horrified and Cinder takes over the airwaves to give this speech:
This is not a tragedy. This was not an accident.
This is what happens when you hand over your trust, your safety, your children to men who claim to be our guardians.
But are, in reality, nothing more than men. Our academies' headmasters wield more power than most armies, and one was audacious enough to control both.
They cling to this power in the name of peace, and yet what do we have here?
One nation's attempt at a synthetic army, mercilessly torn apart by another's star pupil.
What need does Atlas have for a soldier disguised as a little girl? I don't think the Grimm can tell the difference.
And what, I ask you, is Ozpin teaching his students? First a dismemberment and now this?
Hunters and Huntresses should carry themselves with honor and mercy, yet I have witnessed neither.
Perhaps Ozpin thought that defeating Atlas in the tournament would help people forget his colossal failure to protect Vale when Grimm invaded its streets.
Or perhaps this was his message to the tyrannical dictator that has occupied an unsuspecting kingdom with armed forces.
Honestly I haven't the slightest clue who is right and who is wrong, but I know the existence of peace is fragile, and the leaders of our kingdoms conduct their business with iron gloves.
As someone who hails from Mistral I can assure you the situation there is equally undesirable.
Our kingdoms are at the brink of war, yet we the citizens are kept in the dark.
So I ask you, when the first shots are fired, who do you think you can trust?

Thanks to Cinder's speech, the Griim attack, the White Fang invades and Neo frees Torchwick and steals one of Atlas' battleships, causing lots of panic.
I wonder if things are about to get worse?]
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, they actually did it: spoiler[They destroyed Penny.]

Of course, spoiler[machines can be repaired, so I'm reluctant to see this as her final end. Nevertheless, the effect is there, since I can't be sure. She really does look quite lifeless. How sad. Sad]

I'm afraid of what this will do to spoiler[Pyrrha. I feel like this could serve as her breaking point, and lead to her making the final choice to accept Amber Fall's powers after concluding that her self isn't worth preserving after tearing Penny to pieces. Jaune looked dumbfounded, and it's anyone's guess as to how he'll ultimately react. It's probably going to fall to him to rescue her from her emotional self-destruction.]

I liked spoiler[Cinder's speech, but I'm sceptical at its use. If anything, it only made the correct implication to everyone listening that something had been rigged the whole time.] Then again, I suppose I'm only thinking that because I, the viewer, have all of the information, whereas the people in the crowd do not.

...Volume 3, raising the bar high above its predecessors. Very Happy
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Cinder's little speech was totally coercive propaganda. I don't know if a speech has to be by government representatives to be propaganda, but this one had all the earmarks...

And I'm guessing that, for now anyway, it was a highly successful speech. First show, then tell. She is cementing into the minds of the people that *this* is what they saw, and doing so in such a way to paint it in the worst light possible.

For example: Penny. One interpretation is that Penny was made by a man that is trying to advance technology wanted to create someone he could care about as a person, and that Atlas is supporting him to create robots that could better fight against the Grimm (because they have auras) -- it was all for the betterment of humanity on Remnant.

Another interpretation is that Atlas was creating creatures meant to battle against other nations, not the Grimm, and that they were poised to take control of Vale, not defend it.

One is about hope and betterment, the other is about fear, resentment, and uncertainty. Just add a few scenes that show (or appear to show) people in power doing bad things, and human nature will take over. Then throw in an attack once they no longer trust their protectors, and the people go into a panic, thinking there's no one to protect them. Playing to people's negativity and fear is rarely a losing proposition, and that's what Cinder's speech was all about... that and disinformation.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Mmm, very eloquent explanation--and very well-put. I agree. Very Happy
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, there is a likelihood that penny will be rebuilt but there may be just as much of a chance that if she does end up rebuilt, she'll be unallowed to set foot on Beacon ever again. I mean, her supposed father saw her get butchered by the most prized student at Beacon with millions of viewers watching. Her father may even wipe away clean all her memories of Ruby and everyone else.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
That's another possibility I'd considered, actually. In some ways, that'd be a tad more tragic.

Also, spoiler tags FTW.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Also, spoiler tags FTW.

Sorry, it's just getting confusing figuring out whether spoiler tags are that necessary when it comes to speculating what could happen in later events in the show. Not only that, but not a lot people come to this thread anyway for reasons not worth getting into, so I assumed that it wasn't a big deal.

But if you have a good idea what context for this show I should apply spoiler tags (even if we're just speculating things), then let me know and I'll follow the criteria.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
Well, as an example, I'd spoiler tag the major events of the episode, to include spoiler[the destruction of Penny by Pyrrha]. You could say that we saw it coming, given spoiler[what we've seen of Emerald's semblance and what she did to Yang], but it still could have gone any number of ways because spoiler[Ruby caught wind of foul play moments before it occurred]. I, for one, wasn't sure that spoiler[Rooster Teeth would have been bold enough to actually have it happen, hence my surprise during my first response to episode 9].
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
@ Gatherum:

Hey, sorry. I was preoccupied lately so I haven't had much of a chance to reply back.

Anyway, I think I get it now. I'll keep a mental note from now on.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Volume 3 Chapter 10.

Battle of Beacon

A lot of fighting in this episode.
The students, teachers and the Atlas army fighting against the Grimm and White Fang.
We also see how badass Ironwood is.
spoiler[Then things turn worse when Torchwick takes control of the Atlas robots and a giant Grimm dragon that spawns more Grimm appears.
Now Ruby tries to stop Torchwick, Blake faces off against Adam and Pyrrha follows Ozpin with Jaune with Cinder spying on them.]
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Volume 3 Chapter 11

OMG! What an episode!
Ruby VS Neo and Torchwick.
Velvet's weapon is revealed.
spoiler[Adam injures Blake and cuts Yang's right arm!
And Cinder finally obtaining the full powers of the Fall Maiden.
The finale for season 3 is gonna be great.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
Why does it have to be so many days until next episode? This isn't fair!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Why does it have to be so many days until next episode? This isn't fair!

Yeah, about that.... so I'm a sponsor, yet I'm not going to spoil anything (in fact, I technically haven't seen the episode yet as I'm typing this). All I'm going to say is this season finale is a whopping 28 minutes! That's the length of Tenchi Muyo OVA episode! So whenever you watch it, "buckle up", is all I can say.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
My God. The season finale of Volume 3.

spoiler[Pyrrha........ Anime cry
That was a sad and depressing episode.
Team RWBY and JNPR is no more.
Pyrrha's dead. Ozpin's gone. The Grimm rules the school. Yang is depress. Weiss taken by her father. Blake ran away out of guilt. Really, depressing.
The only upside was that Ruby(who learns she some mysterious power) and rest of JNPR are gonna find the bad guys and we finally find out who was the narrator voiced by Jen Taylor, Salem, a humanoid Grimm.]

Truly Season 3 was dark, sad and exciting.
I hope Season 4 gets better as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19