• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Berserk

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that Jake is planning on picking up the Berserk manga in preparation for the Spring season cour. It's definitely the essential mode of experiencing the complete story and character development for the series (despite it being more graphic).

Also even if one has already seen Berserk's 1997 anime/movie trilogy I still generally recommend that a person picking up the manga should still read all the way from the beginning of the series and through the Golden Age Arc again (as even with two anime adaptations there are still some relatively important details from that arc in the manga that got cut from both adaptations), ditto for the Birth Ceremony Chapter of the Conviction Arc in relation to the 2016 anime.

However, if Jake really does not want to have to go through the Golden Age Arc (and/or the Birth Ceremony Chapter of the Conviction Arc) again in manga format, I at least recommend that he still read the manga content/volumes that haven't been adapted in any of the three anime adaptations before starting with the Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc in Volume 22 (which is where the next cour is almost assuredly going to start).
FYI those important unadapted/unanimated volumes are Volumes 1-3 (the Black Swordsman Arc) and Volumes 14-17 (the last 3 episodes of the Golden Age Arc which never got depicted in either the 1997 anime or the films, the Lost Children Chapter of the Conviction Arc, and the original version of the Binding Chain Chapter of the Conviction Arc, which had been mangled pretty poorly in the first few episodes of the 2016 anime).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm a really fast reader, so I had intended on reading the whole thing from the beginning, yes.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I'm a really fast reader, so I had intended on reading the whole thing from the beginning, yes.

Great hear that. I think that despite the manga being more graphic (and sometimes more gratuitous) you'll really appreciate the greater quality of the story and character writing (and the progressive growth in quality of the artwork) in the original manga format (if possible I also recommend listening to Susumu Hirasawa music while reading the manga to enhance the experience).
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Though, finding some of the volumes to get the full story's going to be extremely difficult, unless he's got friends to borrow them from.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
Though, finding some of the volumes to get the full story's going to be extremely difficult, unless he's got friends to borrow them from.

Zac has like, all of them in a closet somewhere. Laughing
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:

I'm really hoping we get an omnibus re-release with larger pages. Berserk deserves a giant release way more than Fairy Tail or AoT.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
ShinuZERO wrote:
I'm really hoping we get an omnibus re-release with larger pages. Berserk deserves a giant release way more than Fairy Tail or AoT.

Yeah, that would amazing to have, but it doesn't seem likely anytime soon while Dark Horse still holds the license for the series.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
While I don't disagree with Berserk deserving such a release over Fairy Tail or AoT (neither of which I dislike btw) some of the material in it would probably prevent it from getting a wide enough audience to make such a release worthwhile business wise.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Despite my feelings about this adaptation, it got Berserk's name out there yet again and continued on from where the 1997 anime left off. I have low expectations for season 2, but I think there'll be enough good stuff that it'll be fun discussing it with people who're new to the events in the story anyway. And at least people've have enjoyed it anyway.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Souther wrote:

Zac has like, all of them in a closet somewhere. Laughing

*thumbs up*

@ShinuZero: Dark Horse keep saying they want to do this, but it's never happened. Sad
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
While I don't disagree with Berserk deserving such a release over Fairy Tail or AoT (neither of which I dislike btw) some of the material in it would probably prevent it from getting a wide enough audience to make such a release worthwhile business wise.

More importantly you'd have to convince Dark Horse volumes first. In general they have really stopping caring about quality and print-runs when it's come to their manga division the last few years.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Dark Horse's explanation was that not enough people were buying the releases to justify frequent reprints, sadly. In other countries like Korea and Germany, their language releases sell far, far more compared to the US. The German translations were released in omnibus format too. And for some reason, Dark Horse're unable to acquire the means for English digital volumes as well.

Last edited by Souther on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I'm not so sure about that, Vagabond and Vinland Saga were are both seinen (which while both are definitely not as graphic as Berserk can still get pretty graphic) series that got released in a more prestige quality format (with larger pages and better paper quality and inclusion of the color pages).

EDIT:
Though admittedly Viz and Kodansha probably have more of a budget to dedicate to their manga titles than Dark Horse does.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I'm not so sure about that, Vagabond and Vinland Saga were are both seinen (which while both are definitely not as graphic as Berserk can still get pretty graphic) series that got released in a more prestige quality format (with larger pages and better paper quality and inclusion of the color pages).

EDIT:
Though admittedly Viz and Kodansha probably have more of a budget to dedicate to their manga titles than Dark Horse does.

Not sure about Vagabond,but Vinland Saga has not sold well here. It's quite a surprising that were even getting another volume of it.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Not sure about Vagabond,but Vinland Saga has not sold well here. It's quite a surprising that were even getting another volume of it.

True, but my point was more that I don't think a manga being a seinen and/or graphic in content is that significant of a factor in what may prevent it from getting a more prestige/high quality physical release, rather than the status of the publisher who holds the license for the series.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Nice writing, Anne! Will you be doing the streaming reviews for this season? I enjoyed Jacob's reviews a lot but i'm also always in favour of getting a different perspective on a show.

I've watched (and liked) the original Berserk but never got around to reading the manga, so i'm not quite as emotional invested as others here...plus, i'm generally not too bothered by CGI unless it's Hand Shakers-levels of bad (and Griffith is still looking decently hot...Wink), so i'm really looking forward to where this is going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 20