• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:28 am Reply with quote
Unculturedman wrote:

Again with this name, as if this dude is singlehandedly responsible for why every shonen fan doesn't like Bleach. Bleach would be universally hailed as a brilliant work if only that dude hadn't made that video. Except that just isn't true. I came to all of my conclusions about the series on my own, but of course you can continue to believe what you want to believe. Like how it seems you and many other hardcore fans have convinced yourselves that this series is anything but a mess of inconsistency, poor writing, terrible storytelling and wasted potential.

If you guys didn't constantly regurgitate his takes, I might actually believe people when they say this.

Unculturedman wrote:

The hilarious thing about this is how during the fullbring arc, Kubo tried to make it seem like Ichigo was an active protagonist by force feeding the audience nonsense about how he supposedly was the factor that "changed Soul Society" for the first time in a MILLION years. The truth is not only was soul society almost completely unchanged, as the laws of Central 46, the rukongai situation, and everything else that makes Soul Society a hell hole is still intact, only now, old man yama is getting soft! He's offering to send shinigami into the human world to help out Ichigo. How wholesome! Give me a break. Ichigo did the bare minimum, didn't actually care about or have any truly meaningful interactions with almost any of the characters he met, and he's praised for it. Then again, the world building in Bleach is so poorly done and the world feels so shallow and unlived in that I could believe it. Nothing has happened in this place for hundreds of thousands of years. No wonder they love Ichigo, he finally brought some excitement to the place.

Must have just imagined Ichigo helping reveal a hundred year crime committed by the dude who wiped out their whole governing body, committed mass murder and human experimentation

Quote:

Hell, in that very same arc we find out that apparently not only was there a previous substitute shinigami who went rogue (the entire arc is a very bad attempt to replicate the Chapter Black storyline in YYH), but the initial plan for the Soul reaper badge was to use it to monitor Ichigo and eventually lead him to confront Ginjo, where the two would hopefully kill each other and rid themselves of the substitute shinigami issue, since they couldn't detect him in the living world. When did Ichigo receive the badge? Immediately after saving Rukia, fighting Byakuya and attempting to confront Aizen, the things that the gotei 13 worship him for. And even though it was Ukitake who gave it to him, it would've had to have been authorized by old man Yama, who apparently immediately loved him after Soul Society arc and considered him a fellow shinigami and part of their forces. Not only that, but Ukitake barely interacted with Ichigo at all, so this "betrayal" revelation fell extremely flat in almost every way. Sheeesh. The story is heap after heap of garbage contrivances and bad writing.

Amazing. Almost every single thing you said here was wrong.

Top Gun wrote:

...the Soul Reapers as a whole could have absolutely solved this problem. In fact it's fairly simple: just start a registry for newly-arrived souls. Just ask them what their name was, where they lived, and when they died, and start matching up corresponding souls. Y'know, get some King Yemma bureaucracy in there. We know that souls retain memories of their former lives, so this would have worked just fine. But nah, the Soul Reapers were too busy locking themselves in the ivory tower of their uncomfortably-fascist organization to actually go out and help regular souls.

Which is why I said no one Soul Reaper could solve the issue. Solving it would require a massive organizational change that probably even Old Man Yama could not do it on his own, much less a teenager who doesn't even live there.

Quote:
And what's so weird about that definition? The history of battle shonen is full of main protagonists who willingly take on a heroic role and stand up to evil and injustice. I daresay that it's a huge part of why the genre is so popular, since it hits that basic wish fulfillment of being able to make the world a better place by punching some not-so-nice-people really really hard.

Standing up to evil and injustice usually starts and ends with beating up bad guys in shonen manga. Did you see Luffy stick around to fix Arabasta and Wano after he beat Crocodile and Kaido? No, he moved on.

Expecting shonen heroes to do the kind of long term work it would take to create systemic change is expecting stuff of the genre that it's just not going to do.

CelestialEmpress wrote:

You mean like how Byakuya, in his free time with zero support, was able to find his dead wife's sister and officially adopt her? Presumably only working off the information "She was a baby back then and I left her in a cardboard box on 8th street. She probably looks a lot like me if she's still alive" and just had to search for a needle in a haystack for like, decades? Man, I bet that would have been easier if anybody bothered keeping any kind of records for the poor folk. Hell, they might have even gotten the chance to be reunited before she died of Flashback Waifu Illness!

This is not an organization strapped for manpower or time. They've got the free time to publish multiple lifestyle magazines for each other, ffs. There are hundreds of grunt soldiers just sitting around their headquarters doing jackshit nothing until the rare occasion where somebody actually manages to make it into the gated community where all the cops live. If one of the smarter and respected captains like Ukitake or Unohana or especially Byakuya, who's not only got firsthand experience trying to find someone in their dogshit system but is also the head of one of the most powerful noble families in the damn Soul Society, had bothered to push for some kind of organization, the entire place wouldn't be such a festering hellhole.

You mean Byakuya the independently wealthy nobleman who can afford to hire people to do his searching for him?

In any case, I never denied that this was a fixable issue for the shinigami as a whole, just not something Ichigo can be expected to come in and fix.
Unculturedman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:31 am Reply with quote
Yup yup yup. Cool cool cool. This is about on brand for Bleach fans. Alright this is getting ridiculous now. I think I'm done here, no use replying to someone like you. Glad we could end this before it got too toxic and combative. Like i said, believe whatever you want to believe. I wouldn't want to be the one getting in the way of your love for a terrible series. Whatever version of Bleach is in your head must be some great shit. But it certainly isn't what's presented here.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:31 am Reply with quote
The usual response from your type. Have a blessed day and see you next cour.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
In any case, I never denied that this was a fixable issue for the shinigami as a whole, just not something Ichigo can be expected to come in and fix.

The problem is that at no point does Ichigo seem to care. He walks into Soul Society the first time and finds out it's actually a depressing hellhole where the vast majority of souls never see their loved ones again and will suffer in poverty every single day unless they're lucky enough to have enough power to become a Spirit Cop and live in the fancy gated community. His group sees someone they personally know, a small child that their friend intentionally convinced to come here, and nobody suggests swinging back around after they save Rukia to help track down his missing mom? The entire reason he agreed to move on to the afterlife? You'd think Ichigo, a guy who'd also lost his mom to a hollow* at a young age and still grieves for her death, might have shown any interest at all in seeing those two get a happy ending. Hell, you'd think at some point after he'd saved the world for like the third time in a row, he'd have enough clout to bring up the fact that a soul's only choice is to either become a hollow or resign themselves to an afterlife suffering in the eternal slums of misery and hey, maybe somebody might wanna do something about that. Soul reapers live for hundreds or even thousands of years, they have literally an infinite amount of time to work on this. But nope, Ichigo gets a firsthand look at how shitty the afterlife is, an afterlife he's actively been sending people into, and then just shrugs and never questions it or thinks about it again.

* I know, but that's the story we had at the time.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Unculturedman wrote:
The hilarious thing about this is how during the fullbring arc, Kubo tried to make it seem like Ichigo was an active protagonist by force feeding the audience nonsense about how he supposedly was the factor that "changed Soul Society" for the first time in a MILLION years. The truth is not only was soul society almost completely unchanged, as the laws of Central 46, the rukongai situation, and everything else that makes Soul Society a hell hole is still intact, only now, old man yama is getting soft! He's offering to send shinigami into the human world to help out Ichigo. How wholesome! Give me a break. Ichigo did the bare minimum, didn't actually care about or have any truly meaningful interactions with almost any of the characters he met, and he's praised for it. Then again, the world building in Bleach is so poorly done and the world feels so shallow and unlived in that I could believe it. Nothing has happened in this place for hundreds of thousands of years. No wonder they love Ichigo, he finally brought some excitement to the place.

Oh lord, yeah, that bit nearly made me spit out my drink. Ichigo didn't change jack squat about the Soul Society. It's still the same dysfunctional (and in many cases actively harmful) organization as it always was. I mean this is the same group that didn't even notice that their entire leadership structure had been mass-murdered until well after the fact. Great job there boys. Honestly I think the most damning part is how buddy-buddy Ichigo still is with most of the Soul Reapers, when they as a whole were moments away from killing Rukia in cold blood, and all that professional A-hole Yamamoto could manage afterwards was the equivalent of "Whoops, my bad!" Maybe Ichigo could have, y'know, shown the slightest level of concern over making sure something like this could never happen again? But nope, like CelestialEmpress said, Ichigo just doesn't care about anything of consequence.

LastPage 3 wrote:

Must have just imagined Ichigo helping reveal a hundred year crime committed by the dude who wiped out their whole governing body, committed mass murder and human experimentation

Okay, so he brought Aizen's crimes to light. Great. Nothing else of note changed. Hell, they still let the confirmed war criminal Mayuri run around and lead his own squad. Real stand-up organization here.

Quote:
Amazing. Almost every single thing you said here was wrong.

So what exactly was wrong about Unculturedman's post? Because just about everything he said was exactly what was revealed at the end of the Fullbringer arc.

Quote:
Standing up to evil and injustice usually starts and ends with beating up bad guys in shonen manga. Did you see Luffy stick around to fix Arabasta and Wano after he beat Crocodile and Kaido? No, he moved on.

Expecting shonen heroes to do the kind of long term work it would take to create systemic change is expecting stuff of the genre that it's just not going to do.

This is a massive false equivalence. Do you know why Luffy didn't need to stick around those places afterwards, or most of the other islands he's visited? Because he defeated the people responsible for the evil there, and left them in the capable hands of those who would set things right. The Straw Hats only travel to Alabasta because Vivi directly asks them to help save her kingdom, and after Crocodile is defeated, she stays behind to work with her people and heal the wounds that he caused. Likewise, although Luffy's goal of defeating Kaido only coincidentally overlaps with Momonosuke and his retainers at the start, they form a solid alliance together, and after Kaido's downfall Momonosuke takes his rightful place as shogun. Through the manga's cover stories we even get to occasionally look in on past locales and see that things are going well there. Again, contrast that with Ichigo, who doesn't so much as say anything against the Soul Society's current state and has no problem being all buddy-buddy with members of the organization that actively contributes to it being such a shitty place.

Last edited by Top Gun on Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:25 pm Reply with quote
So the English dub recast Yoruichi with Anairis Quinones taking over for Wendee Lee.

I can't say I'm completely surprised, and I have no complaints about Anairis' talent, but it just felt kind of an unnecessary recasting for a role Wendee Lee is really passionate about and could still pull off.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:21 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Okay, so he brought Aizen's crimes to light. Great. Nothing else of note changed. Hell, they still let the confirmed war criminal Mayuri run around and lead his own squad. Real stand-up organization here.

Quite literally not true. Ichigo's arrival heralded quite a few changes in Soul Society, including the new generation of Room 46, exposing crimes of the Four Great Families, etc.

[quote]
This is a massive false equivalence. Do you know why Luffy didn't need to stick around those places afterwards, or most of the other islands he's visited? Because he defeated the people responsible for the evil there, and left them in the capable hands of those who would set things right. The Straw Hats only travel to Alabasta because Vivi directly asks them to help save her kingdom, and after Crocodile is defeated, she stays behind to work with her people and heal the wounds that he caused. Likewise, although Luffy's goal of defeating Kaido only coincidentally overlaps with Momonosuke and his retainers at the start, they form a solid alliance together, and after Kaido's downfall Momonosuke takes his rightful place as shogun. Through the manga's cover stories we even get to occasionally look in on past locales and see that things are going well there.

Ichigo came to Soul Society for the purposes of saving Rukia from execution and he accomplished that by exposing the conspiracy that was behind her execution. He even convinced the person who was most invested in her execution to let it go.

Yet Ichigo's arrival does mark things getting better in Soul Society because his example inspired others. He made it clear what kind of person he was and the effect he had on others during the Substitute Soul Reaper arc you guys claim to love so much.

Quote:

Again, contrast that with Ichigo, who doesn't so much as say anything against the Soul Society's current state and has no problem being all buddy-buddy with members of the organization that actively contributes to it being such a shitty place.

I don't recall Ichigo acting buddy buddy with Room 46 though?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:51 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:

Ichigo came to Soul Society for the purposes of saving Rukia from execution and he accomplished that by exposing the conspiracy that was behind her execution. He even convinced the person who was most invested in her execution to let it go.

Yet Ichigo's arrival does mark things getting better in Soul Society because his example inspired others. He made it clear what kind of person he was and the effect he had on others during the Substitute Soul Reaper arc you guys claim to love so much.

You keep making these vague statements like Ichigo "inspiring others," but either you or the series itself stating that as fact doesn't necessarily make it so. Again, just what concrete, lasting changes did Ichigo make to the Soul Society? Did (after)life somehow get better for regular souls? Did the endemic ineffectiveness and arguably corruption amongst the Soul Reapers get corrected? (I'm not counting the active traitors who peaced out after their crimes were discovered.) Did Yamamoto stop being a sad excuse for a leader? Because I'm coming up empty on all of those, and if he didn't manage any of that, then just what did he do?

Quote:
I don't recall Ichigo acting buddy buddy with Room 46 though?

Central 46 aren't even characters. And I mean that quite literally: they don't even enter into the narrative during the Soul Society arc. (I think the only other thing they do prior to the final arc is chuck Aizen in jail.) Their only function is to be completely wiped out offscreen. The narrative wouldn't change in any meaningful way if they never existed in the first place. The Soul Reapers are the ones with all of the actual power and initiative. You might have a point if Kubo had decided to do anything at all with them.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

You keep making these vague statements like Ichigo "inspiring others," but either you or the series itself stating that as fact doesn't necessarily make it so. Again, just what concrete, lasting changes did Ichigo make to the Soul Society? Did (after)life somehow get better for regular souls? Did the endemic ineffectiveness and arguably corruption amongst the Soul Reapers get corrected? (I'm not counting the active traitors who peaced out after their crimes were discovered.)

He stopped Aizen who was killing hundreds of thousands of Rukongai residents for his Hogyoku but I suppose that count for you.

Quote:
Did Yamamoto stop being a sad excuse for a leader? Because I'm coming up empty on all of those, and if he didn't manage any of that, then just what did he do?

He inspired the next generation of Room 46 to liberalize their policies for example. Again, Ichigo doesn't live in this world and it's not his prerogative to drop in and fix systemic injustices there. It's enough that he provides the push for it to happen.

Last edited by LastPage 3 on Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
He stopped Aizen who was killing hundreds of thousands of Rukongai residents for his Hogyoku but I suppose that count for you.

At the beginning of the TYBW arc, Mayuri makes the decision to murder 28,000 civilians in the slums with the excuse about the spirit world being overpopulated. Yamamoto's only problem with this is that he didn't ask for permission before murdering nearly 30 thousand innocent people. That's a thing that happened. So if you're a normal person trying to function in the afterlife, you run the risk of being indiscriminately murdered by either a villain or your own military. Great!

Quote:
He inspired the next generation of Room 46 to liberalize their policies for example. Again, Ichigo doesn't live in this world and it's not his prerogative to drop in and fix systemic injustices there. It's enough that he provides the push for it to happen.

Genuine question because I straight up don't remember. By the end of the series, is there any real indication that things in the Soul Society have improved for its regular, non-militant citizens? Or do they just keep suffering in an inexplicably feudal era-themed back alley until they eventually die again and get sent back to the living world, rinse and repeat? Like for comparison, if I look at any random schmuck from Wano or Alabasta or Dressrosa, I can immediately tell you exactly how things get better for them because of Luffy's involvement. Luffy doesn't stick around, he heals up and has a party then dicks off to another island, but by the end of the arc the place is in the hands of people who truly want to put in the effort to see all their citizens thrive. So what, by the end of the series there's just a new secret room full of unknown old guys who might consider one day maybe giving half a shit about the millions of people they're responsible for?

Or look at Yuyu Hakusho, because Kubo certainly did when he needed inspiration for Bleach. By the end of the series, Yusuke straight up goes to spoiler[Hell and turns it into a decent place for the not-so-heinous demons living there]! Also, the argument that "Ichigo doesn't live there so he doesn't really have a reason to care" falls completely flat because it's their afterlife. Eventually, literally every single human he knows and cares about will end up there (unless they're eaten by a monster because the soul reapers assigned to the living world are incompetent). The story likes to present Ichigo as intelligent, he's seen ghosts and been surrounded by death his entire life, and his own sisters have nearly been killed multiple times throughout the course of the series. You'd think that'd be reason enough to care what happens to the normal souls who don't have enough power to get into Spirit Military School.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:08 am Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:

Genuine question because I straight up don't remember. By the end of the series, is there any real indication that things in the Soul Society have improved for its regular, non-militant citizens? Or do they just keep suffering in an inexplicably feudal era-themed back alley until they eventually die again and get sent back to the living world, rinse and repeat?

Bringing up the 'inexplicably feudal' part as an example. That's a deliberate asethetic that Room 46 cultivated in order to control the populace and we literally see the Soul Society move away from that after the war in order to improve the lives of everyone.

Quote:
Like for comparison, if I look at any random schmuck from Wano or Alabasta or Dressrosa, I can immediately tell you exactly how things get better for them because of Luffy's involvement. Luffy doesn't stick around, he heals up and has a party then dicks off to another island, but by the end of the arc the place is in the hands of people who truly want to put in the effort to see all their citizens thrive.

So what, by the end of the series there's just a new secret room full of unknown old guys who might consider one day maybe giving half a shit about the millions of people they're responsible for?

Not unknown, there's a literal novel following one of the those "old people" (actually a young girl) about her trying to improve Soul Society for the better.
Unculturedman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:

Not unknown, there's a literal novel following one of the those "old people" (actually a young girl) about her trying to improve Soul Society for the better.

And there it is. Bringing up the novels. Give it a rest people, you're not going to get through to this guy. He's fully prepared to continue refuting logical criticisms and legitimate complaints of the series based on what's written on the pages of the manga with vague personal interpretations that don't really exist in the series. Classic Bleach fan behavior.

Even putting aside the fact that you can't actually prove with any sort of real evidence that Ichigo changed anything in the Soul Society, we as the audience spend the vast majority of the series with the shinigami characters or in Soul Society. The only human world part of the series is the first arc, early arrancar and Fullbring (which has major shinigami involvement by the end). That's about ten volumes of human world content in a 74 volume series. The human world is a completely underdeveloped aspect of the series. As far as the audience is concerned, Ichigo should have much more of an emotional attachment to the soul society than he actually does. It's a major problem that the series has with telling the audience that we should acknowledge that Ichigo cares about the human world the most, because it's the world of his friends and family, but then spend the vast majority of the series dealing with the Shinigami. Yet he doesn't actually care about the rukongai inhabitants, or even the shinigami themselves as character relationships in the series overall are very shallow.

He and the rest of the shinigami spend the entire series mindlessly fighting wave after wave of new villain threats that almost quite literally appear out of thin air, leaving the narrative no room to actually turn inwards and analyze the corrupt and faulty institutions at its core. This is why the world building in the series is so awful. So it really doesn't matter at all. Kubo did a very poor job of providing his main protagonist with compelling characterization. We have very little reason to care about or root for this kid at all, which is very bad for a shonen protagonist.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:54 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:

I honestly didn't remember that at all. Though in my defense, the series spends so little time and effort on the plight of ordinary souls that it's easy to forget. Besides, that winds up being completely moot when you look at the damning scene that CelestialEmpress mentioned. The Soul Reapers continue to let a twisted evil sociopath who has no problem mass-murdering tens of thousands of souls serve as a captain in their ranks. Who needs to worry about external threats when you have one like that as one of the "good guys"?

Quote:

We don't see this happen in the slightest, at least not up until the point in the series when Yamamoto makes the comment about Ichigo changing things. Again, we don't see any of the previous Central 46 at all, unless you count their corpses, and I think all the new group has done by then is chuck Aizen in prison.

LastPage 3 wrote:
Bringing up the 'inexplicably feudal' part as an example. That's a deliberate asethetic that Room 46 cultivated in order to control the populace and we literally see the Soul Society move away from that after the war in order to improve the lives of everyone.

"Deliberate aesthetic"? Was that mentioned anywhere in the series, or at least before the final arc?

Quote:

Oh, now I see. I'm sorry, but I don't really care about some spinoff novel released after the series had already concluded. We're talking about things that were portrayed in the series itself, particularly things that happened prior to the Fullbringer arc, which is when Yamamoto made the statement that we're disputing.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The Soul Reapers continue to let a twisted evil sociopath who has no problem mass-murdering tens of thousands of souls serve as a captain in their ranks. Who needs to worry about external threats when you have one like that as one of the "good guys"?

You're totally on the right track about Mayuri being a crazy psycho, but y'know, if you want to censure Mayuri, better to bring up his actions against the Quincies rather than that incident, since if he hadn't everyone in existence would have died.

Quote:
Oh, now I see. I'm sorry, but I don't really care about some spinoff novel released after the series had already concluded. We're talking about things that were portrayed in the series itself, particularly things that happened prior to the Fullbringer arc, which is when Yamamoto made the statement that we're disputing.

Whether you care or not is immaterial. Bleach is and always has been a multimedia project consisting of more than just the manga. The novels and anime are just as canon as the manga.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
The Soul Reapers continue to let a twisted evil sociopath who has no problem mass-murdering tens of thousands of souls serve as a captain in their ranks. Who needs to worry about external threats when you have one like that as one of the "good guys"?

You're totally on the right track about Mayuri being a crazy psycho, but y'know, if you want to censure Mayuri, better to bring up his actions against the Quincies rather than that incident, since if he hadn't everyone in existence would have died.

I brought up Mayuri slaughtering 30,000 innocent people in one day because it's a direct comparison to Aizen slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people over the course of centuries. Mayuri is an irredeemable monster who should never have been allowed to roam free and any competent organization wouldn't have signed off on Urahara's request to pull him out of prison and offer him a job. Hell, the guy who vouched for him was accused of treason and had to flee to the living room to escape execution, and they promoted his pet murder clown once he left!

Quote:
Quote:

Whether you care or not is immaterial. Bleach is and always has been a multimedia project consisting of more than just the manga. The novels and anime are just as canon as the manga.

My dude, I don't care about the spinoffs that somebody else wrote to fill in the missing gaps. I shouldn't have to do homework to learn the basic plot points that Kubo couldn't be assed to include in his own story. Like, you don't have to sit through Yashahime just to figure out if half the characters from Inuyasha survived the final battle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17