• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you loathe.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Naru Narugesawa (Love Hina)
There is no better example of those "tsundere" girlfriends who are nothing but shit to their boyfriends quite like this one. This POS is an example on how not write a good female lead. She is incredibly and unnecessarily abusive and she almost never gets any punishment to herself as a result. I don't why these kinds of characters appear in alot of anime. They are not likable at all and Naru is the best example of that.

Yeah, I normally defend tsundere characters but I agree with this one; Naru is just a bitch. :/

@louis. Aw, I didn't think you hated Usagi....:[ I didn't like that scene either but there are 199 other episodes where she acts nicer.....
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Sakura from Naruto

If it wasn't for Masashi to have a good sense of writing, I would have wanted everyone in the early Naruto episodes to die minus Naruto and Iruka. I stopped for some reason at the beginning of Shippuden a long time ago, but was there ever a part where someone rubbed into their faces how the majority of Konohagakure snubbed Naruto and treated him awfully?
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Naru Narugesawa (Love Hina)
There is no better example of those "tsundere" girlfriends who are nothing but shit to their boyfriends quite like this one. This POS is an example on how not write a good female lead. She is incredibly and unnecessarily abusive and she almost never gets any punishment to herself as a result. I don't why these kinds of characters appear in alot of anime. They are not likable at all and Naru is the best example of that.

Yeah, I normally defend tsundere characters but I agree with this one; Naru is just a bitch. :/

@louis. Aw, I didn't think you hated Usagi....:[ I didn't like that scene either but there are 199 other episodes where she acts nicer.....

You can't just ask me to forget something like THAT ever happened. Unlike most filler in anime, this anime seems to incorporate a lot of "filler" into the appeal of the show, often making it difficult to skip filler and still get the fullest out of the show. As such, I can't just treat this Usagi as though she's a separate entity from the usual Usagi because... she isn't.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
As such, I can't just treat this Usagi as though she's a separate entity from the usual Usagi because... she isn't.

I dunno.....it felt REALLY OOC to me. :/ It was just so off....
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
As such, I can't just treat this Usagi as though she's a separate entity from the usual Usagi because... she isn't.

I dunno.....it felt REALLY OOC to me. :/ It was just so off....

It was off, but I never felt it was "out of the question" for her character to do.

Now, Miaka in the last handful of episodes of Fushigi Yuugi wasn't even the same entity as prior to the final arc. She's... CONCERNED WITH OTHER PEOPLE!? WANTS TO SAVE THE WORLD!? Madness.
Tyoki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
I think I will always harbor an intense hatred of Kagome from Inuyasha. Like I've felt the series itself was so good and had a really great cast of characters, yet Kagome always seemed to bring this unnecessary teenage melodrama to the show that would sometimes put the story on hold for a bit while she moped around because of reasons. It always seemed silly to me and I feel like the story would benefit if the whole kagome and time travel plot were taken from the show. I'm still leery about romance anime to this day because I'm worried it'll fall to Kagome levels of silly drama. Ugh...it just derails things so much.

I actually read a fan suggested plot line that took the future element out and just kind of rewrote the story without Kagome and it actually sounded like it would have made for a far better anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Tyoki wrote:
I think I will always harbor an intense hatred of Kagome from Inuyasha.

I thought I disliked her too and then I realized I was listening to Kagome-haters too much because when I went back and rewatched the series ALL the way through, I found myself really liking her and sympathizing with her and now I think she's the best Rumiko Takahashi female protagonist. Anime hyper

She's not the same girl in the movies....but the movies aren't canon anyway....
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Kagome was always a great protag until Kikyō became involved. Each time the latter entered the triangle, the former became just a tad more vindictive and abusive towards Inuyasha--but to be honest, I'm not even sure it's Kagome's behaviour that annoys me as much as the show's (read: the others in the cast) insistence on concurrently framing Inuyasha as the deserving two-timer. I'm non-monogamous myself, but even in monogamous terms, it's easy to see that the boy is far less "sleazy" (or whatever) than he is emotionally conflicted. Of course he is: Try having your ex-love interest manipulated in to binding you before dying of her wounds and then finding out about it fifty years later, post-resurrection. The two never got to act on their feelings, let alone go their separate ways, on their own terms--not even fifty years later, when Kikyō died a final death at the hands of Naraku.

It's not the worst-handled situation I've seen, and to Kagome's credit, she acknowledges the above at first. Again, though, it's the framing.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I think she's the best Rumiko Takahashi female protagonist. Anime hyper

Low bar to pass, sadly. The only real competition is, in some people's eyes, Lum. And she's a horrible character with some "waifu points" depending on how much you like clingy, desperate, unconditionally doting girls.

I personally don't care for them, but it seems that Lum's popularity speaks for itself.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually have to say that Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku is Rumiko Takahashi's best female protagonist!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
@louis. True, it's a low bar indeed. Akane is too bitchy, Sakura is too boring, and well, the other series....I haven't seen that much of. Mermaid's Scar has characters that are somewhat.....unmemorable...kinda like Rinne.

Beltane70 wrote:
I'd actually have to say that Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku is Rumiko Takahashi's best female protagonist!

I've only read a little of the manga my science teacher gave me in high school....but I can't remember a thing except the tenants always getting drunk. Anime hyper
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

Maison Ikkoku is a great love story. Unlike most Takahashi titles it has a beginning and an end and doesn't last forever. It is excellent in both manga and anime format though the two differ a bit in the middle. The tenants are there to make problems for the main couple. Love can't be allowed to run smoothly or there would be no story.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Chiibi

Maison Ikkoku is a great love story. Unlike most Takahashi titles it has a beginning and an end and doesn't last forever. It is excellent in both manga and anime format though the two differ a bit in the middle. The tenants are there to make problems for the main couple. Love can't be allowed to run smoothly or there would be no story.

Not true. The couple in Baby Steps is relatively perfect, but the conflict comes in different ways.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Lol so does anyone have any new hates this winter season?

I'm happy to report I've picked up seven new shows and so far there is nobody yet.

It's refreshing. Anime hyper
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Lol so does anyone have any new hates this winter season?

Yeah, Shinji. He appears to be an important character in Fate/Extra Last Encore. He's still an asshole. He also somehow has spoiler[a girlfriend]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18