• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I got my copy today and got to read it without exposure to any spoilers! (No worries, I avoided this thread after making my last posting just in case of accidental spoilers!)

And it was EPICALLY AWESOME! Cool Best volume yet! All of my favorite characters got some face time and some of the best scenes in the whole series so far happened! A few moments that jumped out at me the most were:

Akito finally spoiler[showed her true emotions. Seeing her wanting to kill Tohru, yet at the same time desperately seeking acceptance, was very moving. Her mother abandoning her really did a number on her. I truly think that if her father had lived, Akito would have turned out a very different way. Seeing her starting to reach out to Tohru just as she fell was heartbreaking. Then to see her scream out for help. . . that was just amazing. Now, I feel like even Akito is earning happiness. (Seeing her so desperate, so afraid for Tohru, so filled with remorse and totally lost as to how to make things better, it really made me teary-eyed. And of all the people to comfort her, Yuki.)]

Truly, Akito has come far.

Reading Fruits Basket is like mainlining raw optimism and hope.

Then there was all the amazing developments with spoiler[Kyo and Tohru. Her full-on "I love you" and her giving up of her mother's memory for Kyo. (Interesting that she saw her mother reflected in Akito. The seeking of an eternal and unwavering bond was something they were both guilty of.) Kyo's actions are so in line with his self-hatred. Thank God Yuki finally knocked some sense into him. (Mmm, Black Yuki is hella-scary.) Can't wait to finally see how all of this plays out.]

I think my favorite scene though was spoiler[Yuki and Machi's very romantic moment. Seeing her giving him the gift for Tohru and the fertilizer (yet again, she remembers and pays attention to something so small from him) was just fantastic. I hope that if I ever have a girlfriend, I can be half as lucky as Yuki at least, because that would be tenfold better than I deserve. I just loved how he got her that Mogeta. I thought the sentiments expressed throughout that part, of how powerful it is to just have one person in your life, one person that takes away the loneliness and cares about you, was very true. Even though it wasn't really shown, I think Yuki and Machi even kissed in that scene! (Ah, they looked so happy hand in hand.)]

Kakeru continued to provide some much needed comedy relief as did Haru. I'm not sure which was funnier, Haru's "and her breasts grew again" followed by "can it be all 3" lines or Kakeru's "what do you have to eat to get that good looking" line.

Anyway, I'd just like to take a moment and say how grateful I am that I started reading this series. And also, I pity people who can't see past the fact that it's a manga/graphic novel/comic. This is such a powerful and ultimately timeless series in my opinion, with a message that truly does move the heart and soul.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
So, do we want to start discussing the new volume? It seems like everyone has it.

Been fighting computer issues for the past few days, so I haven't had time to read it yet.
brewers6655

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
i would!!!! Anime smile i just finished reading the last three books again Anime smile im rereshed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm down. Everything is getting so close to the end though Crying or Very sad
brewers6655

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I'm down. Everything is getting so close to the end though Crying or Very sad

IK!!!! T^T im sad it halfs to end... maybe we can pray that she will start a new series that is about kyo and tohru in adult life!!!!!!!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
brewers6655 wrote:
IK!!!! T^T im sad it halfs to end... maybe we can pray that she will start a new series that is about kyo and tohru in adult life!!!!!!!

That'll probably be awhile, because she's currently working on Hoshi wa Utau right now. Don't know how long that series will be.
brewers6655

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
brewers6655 wrote:

That'll probably be awhile, because she's currently working on Hoshi wa Utau right now. Don't know how long that series will be.

ik that but i mean like after a long time have a giant comeback... and im currently reading that Anime smile
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ok then, time to talk about Vol. 21

I can usually pinpoint a chapter or two in each volume that are my favorites, but this one is impossible because the whole volume is just that good. Between spoiler[Tohru's confession, Yuki's fight with Kyo, Akito's finally breaking down and dealing with the real work, and Yuki and Machi's relationship,] it's all very important stuff.

I'm exhausted after working. I'll post more later.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
This story just keeps getting better and better as it gets closer to the end.

It's interesting to learn that the real reason that Kyo left town spoiler[wasn't because he went off to train but because he had a breakdown because of Kyoko's death. Of course, I think he did a lot of projecting of his own mother's death onto Kyoko's but, he had a breakdown.]

That was so brave and so strong of Tohru to say spoiler[that she had to go against her mother and that she loves Kyo. Of course, he is stupid. Men! Rolling Eyes ]

I found it interesting that Akito asked Tohru if spoiler[she was abandoning Akito. Now while I think that Akito (at this moment) is insane due to stabbing Kureno, I can see why Tohru sees her mother. But I'm not exactly sure why Akito is asking Tohru that question.

It's also interesting that Tohru does identify with Akito in that they both want things to remain the same, that their feeling don't change.]

Akito spoiler[needs Tohru just as much as the other members of the Zodiac have needed her. ]

I forgive Akito. I know that I have said mean and terrible things about Akito in the past. But I forgive Akito because of the look on Akito's face when spoiler[the cliff gave way with Tohru. Akito didn't have to begin screaming for help, but she did. And to admit to Shigure that she was the one who stabbed Kureno was brave of her too. But I also understand why Shigure plainly did not believe her when she said that she didn't push Tohru over the edge. After all she's proven that she's capable of committing a great deal of harm to people in the past.]

BTW in regards to Kyo spoiler[kissing Tohru. Doesn't count. She hurt. Kisses don't count when one person is down for the count. They both gotta be healthy for it to count. Laughing ]

The meeting between Akito and Momiji is interesting in that Akito spoiler[confessed how she felt and Momiji listened and offered his handkerchief and the story of The Foolish Traveler. And did you notice that even though Akito is dressed in boy's clothes, she looks rather feminine?]

It was also brave of Akito to spoiler[go to Tohru's room...and take Tohru's hand. Like I said, Akito needs Tohru just as much as the other members of the Zodiac.]

What was the final best part of this volume was seeing spoiler[Yuki and Machi walk off, hand in hand! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
this series has one of the best endings i've ever seen. spoiler[at least for now, the main issue betwwen Tohru and Kyo hasn't been solved in this volume. so that's still a little murky. but my favorite scene in this volume is definitely Kyo and Tohru's kiss. but looking at the next chapter, i think Kyo kissed her for love, but i also think it was almost a symbol of the end. he felt that he had failed her. in his mind, he still didn't belive that she loved him. he thought that he was "dissillusioned" about it. but i think that he finally realized that t was true when she was worrying about him, even as she lay in critical condition. unfortunately, he thinks that it will never work, and that if she stays near him, more misfortune will befall her. ]

i find that one of most intersting partsspoiler[is that when Kyo see's Tohru lying there, his mind immediately flashes to the dream he had in volume 16. the thing is, that dream is the exact thing he was trying to avoid when he confronted Tohru about her feelings. that's why he said something along the lines of "this wasn't supposed to happen" as he dropped to his knees.]

this will be all since i need sleep
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Three things really impressed me about this volume:

1. The discussion or more like spoiler[ fight that Kyo and Yuki had. We knew from before that it was all the time Kyo who wanted to be like Yuki because he felt inferior to him. Once or twice I thought about Yuki actually admiring Kyo, especially after some flashbacks in the past (like the ones with the cap or the how Yuki was admiring Kyo's hair colour), even the incident in the classroom when Kyo was always surrounded by people made me suspect something. But nothing to this magnitude. It was so nice to see both of them being actually honest about how they felt for each other. Even more to see that Yuki was admitting his admiration for Kyo and wanting to be him. It is ironic how the most blessed in the zodiac and the most cursed wanted to exchange places and actually feeling an honest admiration towards each other. ]It was really nice to see this honest moment between the two of them, because it cleared up a lot of issues.

2. The spoiler[confession. Wow, I liked that a lot, especially because I have waited for this scene like 20 volumes Twisted Evil . Like you guys said before me, it was a really wonderful and honest scene about the truth behind Kyo's disappearance but Tohru was great. She really was. Like always. I love the fact that her character isn't forced and she reacts the way any honest and deeply in love woman would. She definitely sees her mother's death in a clearer picture than Kyo and this is why she says all that. Because she can see that Kyo couldn't do anything. Also the KISS *a terrible happy squeee* I don't care if she was unconscious. I loved that kiss, I dreamed for that kiss and I wanted that kiss to happen. So I wouldn't have cared even if they were both unconscious and accidentally brush their lips while they were falling. I couldn't care less. It finally happened! Twisted Evil ]

3. Akito really has spoiler[ moments of truth in this volume. It is unbelievable the way a person changes when she finally hears what she was supposed to hear from the very beginning. Tohru gave her the hand and perhaps this is what someone should have done from the very beginning. Akito has been very lonely, ] but I am not as forgiving as LydiaDianne (you're such a good natured woman Wink ). I still have some issues here. Evil or Very Mad Anyways, spoiler[ Momiji's words and Akito's doing in this volumes definitely seem to move things on the right track. ]

There are some issues unsolved here and the biggest one is by far the situation between spoiler[Kyo and Tohru, especially since she has understood that she isn't loved. Again, Lydia was right: men! Rolling Eyes ]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm one of the few people who really feels for Akito here. I definitely feel like her upbringing was so screwed up from the beginning that she was incapable of understanding how to break the chain. I really felt for her, which is why my favorite part of the entire wildly ground-shattering volume (no pun intended) is the quiet moment of spoiler[Momiji talking to Akito, Akito just letting it all spill out and . It was one thing for her to spill her guts and fall down before Tohru, but Momiji, one of the Zodiac who had openly let go of her already, that was a bigger deal. And how Momiji reacts...he's wonderful, isn't he? I'd date him, even if he's the only one of two single characters at the end.]

I also thought that the spoiler[kiss Kyo gives to Tohru was perfectly timed. It's soooo ironic that Tohru just wants her feelings to "reach him." She whispers in her mind, "Don't leave. Don't cry. All this pain is okay, because better days will always come, and painful days will follow in an ebb and swell, but I will always be here. I love you." The last thing she remembers is Kyo rejecting her confession as false, so she knows how horrible he must feel. She just wants her feelings to "reach him." Boy, do they. He LAYS ONE ON HER. *squee~!* Too bad she's asleep. It's the thought that counts. We still have two more books to completely reconcile, but Kyo is reconciled in his own heart at last. Now it's Tohru who has to make the choice and forgive him one more time.] It really is like Beauty and the Beast, isn't it? Razz

I also liked Yuki resolving spoiler[matters with his fists with Kyo. The only way to do it with those two, I suppose. It was so fitting though, that although they've come to a better understanding of each other after FINALLY admitting the Prince and the Pauper-ly truth to one another, Yuki still wants to be a little cruel to his old nemesis...visiting hours are over. I like that Kyo is so exhausted when he reaches the hospital that he looks half-cat. So cute.]

People say that Fruits Basket is a modern-day fairytale in many ways. It really is, ain't it? Very Happy
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I also thought that the spoiler[kiss Kyo gives to Tohru was perfectly timed. It's soooo ironic that Tohru just wants her feelings to "reach him." She whispers in her mind, "Don't leave. Don't cry. All this pain is okay, because better days will always come, and painful days will follow in an ebb and swell, but I will always be here. I love you." The last thing she remembers is Kyo rejecting her confession as false, so she knows how horrible he must feel. She just wants her feelings to "reach him." Boy, do they. He LAYS ONE ON HER. *squee~!* Too bad she's asleep. It's the thought that counts. We still have two more books to completely reconcile, but Kyo is reconciled in his own heart at last. Now it's Tohru who has to make the choice and forgive him one more time.] It really is like Beauty and the Beast, isn't it? Razz

It definitely has some elements of a fairy-tale, perhaps this is why I love this scene so much. It is also so gentle in expressing both their feelins that I just can't help myself but feel moved by it. It contains spoiler[ Tohru's pure feelins for him; even if she is unconscious, she still thinks about him. On the other hand, Kyo of course can't confess his feelins through words and therefore he has to kiss her. Too bad that she is uncsoncious, but after waiting for so long, I don't really care. It's one of the most romantic scenes in the manga. Their story seems to be embedded with forgiveness; they are somtimes unable to communicate and say what they truly feel. Their communication has always been a little tough, and there are hard moments yet to come, since Tohru thinks that her feelings won't find an answer in Kyo's. Shocked ]

But another romantic scene which must be talked about here is that between spoiler[ Yuki and Machi. Now this is also a relationship that has needed time and has advanced slowly but really deeply. Machi and Yuki are healing themselves through this love that has bloomed between the two of them. I mean, the way they are holding hands and the way they are giving each other small but so significant gifts are really gentle and moving as well. It isn't such a dramatic love story like that between Tohru and Kyo, but it definitely is wonderful and gentle. Perhaps, through Machi's love and thanks to his new feelings is Yuki able to open up to Kyo as well (even if he has used the fists too Wink ) and do what is right. I loved these scenes between Yuki and Machi in the madness of all the other events. ]
brewers6655

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
OMG!!!!! this is one of the best volumes in first basket (22 and 23 r better)
what really disappoints me is... dont get me wrong.... the random funny sences... i love them... after i read through the book.... i really just wanna cry my heart out when reading this for sadness and happyness... like the first time i read it! i mean couldnt kakeru's scene waited til the end of the chapter??... (im now content that its there... these were my thoughts at the time...)
may i also mention that the cover art preview for the next book (katsuya in case u dont know...) was very impresing and i look very forward to it!!!! (not just for the picture though XDDDD)
i also like to ssay i like that now the chapter art has akito spoiler[ wearing girls clothes]
i allso am glad / disappointed about the character profiles (yes i still look at those) they need to update some of them.... some of them r fine...like kurenos, but seriously haru's (for example) if u look it says spoiler[he was in a releantion ship with rin but... he currently is right now Anime smile] also realy badly hatoris needs to be updated... because isnt his "broken heart" somewhat healed (like a tiny bit....) spoiler[shouldnt it say something about him and mayu]????

since all the big important topics where covered i decided to go with the petty stuff Anime smile
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Beauty and the Beast, huh. i've never thought of kyo as a beast.

spoiler[with Yuki and Kyo, for a long time we fans thought that they would eventually come to blows like they did in this volume, but most thought that i would really be over Tohru. we now know that's not true but it's interesting that she is still the reason that they fought and were finally able to confess there true feelins for each other. and it is very ironic that they both wanted the same thing, to be the other. the prince and the pauper. it's not even switching places, but really the freedom that they each invisioned in the other. Yuki could see that Kyo could lead a far happier life if the curse didn't exist, whereas he would not be able to function socially at all. Kyo saw Yuki life as free from the pain of losing his mother and having no one (Kazuma not included) to praise and love him as a family. Kyo's thoughts were that Yuki was, from the moment he was born, loved by everyone, praised for his actions, and always on top. On Yuki's side, he obviously didn't have everything presented to him on a silver platter, and he was jealous of the freedom Kyo had away from most of the family, particularly Akito and his mother. Everyone loves Yuki, but Kyo has friends. ]

Now onto the fight. spoiler[what really sparked Yuki's anger wasn't just Kyo's proclamation that Tohru would be better off with him, but the fact that Kyo said that he wanted to be him first. that pissed the hell out of him. of course, this fight was the best thing for both of them. Yuki and Kyo are fianlly able to let go of their feelings, and realize who they are, or at least yuki was. Kyo, not so much. what i really like about this fight is that i think Kyo blocked Yuki's final punch. it's a real sign that they are different people from back when it would just be a smackdown. They've moved to a different level, and can now begin the growth to Yuki's original desire. remember, he just wanted to be friends. ]

so, i discussed the first couple in my last post, so now the second couple.spoiler[ Yuki and Machi have an intersting relationship. it goes back quite a few volumes, to when Machi first realized that there was someone who was actually interested in what she thinks about, like her favorite color. and for Yuki, it's close to the same thing. he said it himself, that he often wonders that if he just dissapearx, would anybody notice. it's in 17 when Machi goes looking for him all over the school, just to say hi. that was his first clue that she cared for him. as for this scene, it is still not final, but it is heading that way. i love how she took his spacy response to her question about what he'd like seriously. another very touching thing in that chapter is that as Yuki and Machi were having their moment, his mind flashes to what Ayame told him about his weaknesses and kindness being very precious. that shows that he's moved on in his relationship with his brother as well]

also in that chapterspoiler[Kakeru always has great lines. "She's his mama." and "There's porn video section! we can't go in though!" what a dirty mind. oh i i like how he calls Kyo the orange stud. makes me laugh.]

all that and i still haven't completely said all i have to say about this volume. whew
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 165 of 170