• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer Linebarrels of Iron, Strike Witches

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't and so do a lot of other people.Furthermore,if it's in both versions,it'll sell more cause a lot of their dvd sub only which was popular in japan didn't do well in the US cause it was sub only. In my view it's better to have them in both versions,especially the dub version. they sound a lot more cutter in english.(Give thanks to sasami for that) Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
electronicmaji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Strike Witches! Finally!

I'll buy it and proudly display it.

I'm a lolicon and proud.

That doesn't make me a god damn pedophile, and anyone who thinks fictional characters are equal to actual human beings need to get their head out of their asses.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
I'm waiting to see if FUNimation mentions "lolicon" regarding Strike Witches, in a promotion or interview. That may clear the smoke on this discussion. Their word on it just may shut the clamp on this forever.

You should post a comment to the blog daring Rojas to add it to the tags :p

Also, to quote the blog post:

Quote:
I know some of you will be thrilled with the news. I would like to take this time to say “Ha! You thought we wouldn’t do it, but we did.” That was of course in reference to the Strike Witches acquisition and the many “FUNimation wouldn’t license Strike Witches” comments that I've seen.

DerekTheRed wrote:
My question is why does the French girl use a British gun when she could be using a perfectly good FM-24/29, and why does the Italian girl use an American gun? Wink

As far as the former goes, probably because France is overrun and she is operating out of Britain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
From the funimation blog comments

Tyrenol wrote:
I numbered this: Don’t bow down to the pressure from those who have their morality misplaced. ANN, despite itself, is a breeding ground for cruelty. The people who run it step on the dreams of those who want to go into the anime industry. And they seem to have the usual otaku vendetta against reality if it doesn’t go their way.

A.C. Power wrote:
After having read the article and the corresponding thread, my views on ANN are changing in a bad kind of way.

Their encyclopedia is inaccurate in terms of defining genres and themes, even when people request that x Anime’s themes should be corrected, it doesn’t. The ratings system and the inaccurate themes is killing the Anime industry because most of the idiot ANN community watches Anime based on how good the ratings are.

Funimation whatever you do, stop supporting ANN until they change their ways. I believe the site is doing more harm to your company than good in terms of profit since it is the so-called “official American site for Anime fans”.

Quote:
ANN = trolls.

Too many popular anime news sites are completely lacking in journalistic integrity

Aha ha ha ha ha. What no one wants to go defend our honor?
Oh we are so cruel, and killing the anime industry too! Yes this one article ruined Funimation's whole reputation especially with them getting closer to a monopoly on the industry each day.

Either way Funimation is going to dub both of these series. I don't know why anyone is doubting it. KNJ though? Not going to happen. Not anytime soon.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow.18 pages of green,yelling at each other.It was sort of entertaining around page nine though.

Strike Witches is pantsu anime.Pa-ni-me.Just like Aika and Najica.Panty and crotch shots galore.Nothing more.Strike Witches is not lolicon.There is no sex.Lolicon is like Shoyonoido Makocchan,not Strike Witches.

Lolicon is used to describe illicit depictions with a minor,or to describe a person with a child complex.Show me penetration or someone with a child complex,in Strike Witches? Hmm? Never happened.What? You want to talk about episode seven of the uncensored DVD version? Are you guys new to the anime art form,or what? It's nudity,goddammit.Get over it.

These forums (everyone in general,really) are twisting these fetish words so far out,that they are losing (or have lost) their meaning,altogether.Cut that shit out.

I don't like Funimation but I'm glad someone picked these up for R1.Strike Witches is going to fly off the shelves.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

I don't like Funimation but I'm glad someone picked these up for R1.Strike Witches is going to fly off the shelves.

Oh, you card!
Starks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
So, is Funi doing the uncensored version?

:3
TheGoddesswatcher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
"I don't like Funimation but I'm glad someone picked these up for R1.Strike Witches is going to fly off the shelves." Quote

Well "maybe" would be the word I would use instead of flying off the shelves. We don't know if it will do that or not. We will see in time tho if this is true.
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
My two cents is that Strike Witches is 'lolicon' in the way that Kuroshitsuji is 'yaoi' (or even shotacon). There's nothing explicit in either, but its obvious who the creator's of the series had in mind when they made it. Of course, I do like both these series, although I have only seen a few episodes of both.
I highly, highly doubt that Madman would touch SW, so as an Australian I am probably out of luck. We might get LineBarrels just because its mecha, which I find extremely disappointing as my personal opinion is that SW has alot more worth as a series than LBoI.
TheGoddesswatcher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
From the funimation blog comments

Tyrenol wrote:
I numbered this: Don’t bow down to the pressure from those who have their morality misplaced. ANN, despite itself, is a breeding ground for cruelty. The people who run it step on the dreams of those who want to go into the anime industry. And they seem to have the usual otaku vendetta against reality if it doesn’t go their way.

A.C. Power wrote:
After having read the article and the corresponding thread, my views on ANN are changing in a bad kind of way.

Their encyclopedia is inaccurate in terms of defining genres and themes, even when people request that x Anime’s themes should be corrected, it doesn’t. The ratings system and the inaccurate themes is killing the Anime industry because most of the idiot ANN community watches Anime based on how good the ratings are.

Funimation whatever you do, stop supporting ANN until they change their ways. I believe the site is doing more harm to your company than good in terms of profit since it is the so-called “official American site for Anime fans”.

Quote:
ANN = trolls.

Too many popular anime news sites are completely lacking in journalistic integrity

Aha ha ha ha ha. What no one wants to go defend our honor?
Oh we are so cruel, and killing the anime industry too! Yes this one article ruined Funimation's whole reputation especially with them getting closer to a monopoly on the industry each day.

Either way Funimation is going to dub both of these series. I don't know why anyone is doubting it. KNJ though? Not going to happen. Not anytime soon.

Those posts you found are pretty laughable. Like we are going to kill the anime industry anytime soon. I agree with you.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
If you've ever seen any of Tyrenol's posts here you would see the irony in his statement too.
And how is Funimation "supporting" ANN anyway? By allowing ANN to put news stories about series they licenses up?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
My question is why does the French girl use a British gun when she could be using a perfectly good FM-24/29, and why does the Italian girl use an American gun? Wink

As far as the former goes, probably because France is overrun and she is operating out of Britain.

But she flies/(is half?) a French plane Razz
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Lolicon is used to describe illicit depictions with a minor,or to describe a person with a child complex.

At least in the Japanese usage of the term and as championferret pointed out, "lolicon" materials are not necessarily illicit depictions. That's why some forms of lolicon manga and anime are legally available. (In the case of portrayals of nonexistent persons, they are not illicit regardless of what is portrayed anyways — depending on the jurisdiction and the whims of the local authorities.)

Last edited by Egan Loo on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Dante80

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

But she flies/(is half?) a French plane Razz

Quote:
On the outbreak of war the French authorities refused Pierre Clostermann his application for service, so he travelled to Los Angeles to become a commercial pilot, studying at a school named Ryan College. Clostermann joined the Free French Air Force in Britain in March 1942.

After training at RAF Cranwell and 61 OTU, Clostermann, a Sergeant Pilot, was posted in January 1943 to No. 341 Squadron RAF (known to the Free French as Groupe de Chasse n° 3/2 "Alsace"), flying the Supermarine Spitfire.

Technically he/she never operated from France, although he/she never used a VG 39 but a Spit...so...they could give her a M-24/29 or a Chauchat...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also who cares if it's lolicon or not.We should be happy it'll be here in the US. I'm sure am.

Me thinks after reading a bunch of these posts regarding the lolicon debate, it almost seems like the word "lolicon" has lost its original meaning. Like the word "gay" lost its original meaning too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 23