• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

One of those really creative art episodes, and it was really good to watch. There were multiple I just wanted to soak up how pretty things were. Also like that they brought back the bootie thing, and things did get rather funny, the break in communication was worth a few chuckles.

You really can't guess what this show will throw at you: You can have bonkers comedy, strange make you think story, hugely creative art piece, and next it looks like we will get a play on a common genre. What I am hoping for is an emotional piece as the episode with Adélie last season has been one of my favourites. The show is pretty brave, I can't imagine it being too popular with mainstream anime fans due to its structure, especially in Japan, but I can't help but appreciate it.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
So...that new episode...

That was delightfully weird. It certainly looked trippy and pretty as all hell. The concept was funny, and the execution was very strong. Did I like it? Eh...it's not what I'm looking for, but I admit it was very good.

Spoilers!

spoiler[Valley Fish. Just...valley fish, like, totally.

Poor Carpaccio. He's been gone for ten years, only to find that his world has changed. He goes insane, and then he is eaten. Once again, this episode is kind of on drugs.

That teleporter is cool as s**t. I want that. Sure, I might lose some body parts, but think about it! I can go across space/time with that thing! Totally, worth it. Very Happy

Coolest. Apocalypse. Ever.]

Well, that's it. Next episode looks...um...I dunno. Didn't expect THAT...see ya.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Well, that's it. Next episode looks...um...I dunno. Didn't expect THAT...see ya.

Did you remember their take on the zombie apocalypse? We spent half following zombie Dandy Space crew. And the Wacky Racing episode, Dandy was a huge lose canon with no honour. Chances are there is a twist beyond alien high school.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was something different for sure, and that's saying a lot considering what anime we're talking about. spoiler[Meow accidentally teleporting just Dandy's head], followed by him and QT freaking out about it was hilarious, as was spoiler[headless Dandy's attempt at charades.] Definitely a lot of fun to watch.

Next episode...Meow and QT were singing in the preview. Might there be singing in the episode? I know it's likely just something they're doing for the preview, but I'd love it if there was some singing going on.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I personally wasn't really digging the art in this episode. It felt a little cheap. I really liked what they did with it during the water typhoon part though.

I loved how Dr.Gel broke the 4th wall a bit by saying "Don't you say that every week?" Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is like the first anime to actually get American high school. Heroman tried, but wasn't close enough.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
I wasn't prepared for all that music Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Two words: VIVA ALL.

In particular, viva Brina Palencia for her musical direction, and viva Ian Sinclair and Ashly Burch for demonstrating that they are wonderful singers.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
I did not see that coming...

The dancing animation certainly had a lot of motion, especially the second number when some of the characters danced so rad that they became distorted. I wasn't really that keen on the singing; what they were doing wasn't to my taste and I felt that the first number went on a little too long. Nonetheless, I applaud the ambition. This must have been particularly difficult for the English dub production because of the added nuisance of getting the singing right and matching the mouth movements.

I always seem to think that the 'plainest girl in school' is the most appealing. That's no surprise, I suppose; it's probably the idea. In this case it was doubly fait accompli since she was a redhead. (I'll take that over a blonde bombshell any day)

I was not the least surprised when it turned out that she had a nice booty, although it was given far less focus than I might have expected. I wish we had been shown more of her personality and character, then again, given how this was playing on archetypes, that might missed the point.

Even though this played with what felt like American high school clichés, parts of it, especially the training montage, felt very eighties anime, to say nothing of the 'transfer student' gimmick. The music and design of the shy bespectacled girl really felt like something from a lost OVA or film from the bubble era to me. Probably best that it wasn't; she probably would've been torn apart by tentacle demons or something at the end if it had been.

The next episode looks to be one of the more artistically deviant. Groovy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
So this episode was a spoiler[high school musical] parody with an spoiler[80's training montage] stuck in the middle. Can't say I would've ever thought to splice those two things together, but that's one of the things that's great about this show.

Though it was brief, QT singing was very cute.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
This episode reminded me of when I was in middle school and my first two years of high school. My sister just finished her first year at Carnegie Mellon, and before that, she was an active participant in our old high school's theater department. Why do I say this right now? Because...well...

SPOILERS!

spoiler[My god was this episode funny. It parodied and played around with every American high school cliche. I really liked the idea of having theater geeks that look like cheerleaders and jocks as the top of the food chain. I also must praise the English dub for managing to work in all the song lyrics AND getting some fantastic singing voices in at the same time. That had to be a difficult job, and I want to thank whoever was in charge of pulling it through and giving us a great musical episode. Also, BOOTY IS EVERYTHING. ALL HAIL THE BOOTY. Very Happy]

Next episode looks...unique. Can't wait to find out what happens.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
That was absolutely glorious, i think that song is gonna be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

Viva all!

Those expecting parodies of Japanese high school are in for a surprise as this episode was spoiler[mostly on American, with a focus on things like High School Musical, and a random 80s montage] thrown in. We also got some random cameos or references including: spoiler[ET, Slimer (Ghostbusters), the Incredible Hulk, and perhaps Ironman.]

I was not too into the spoiler[music], generally I am not a big spoiler[music] fan anyway, it felt like it was mostly done safe to be able to work as Japanese and English since the dual language a big part of this show. Although I do in general appreciate what was done, the spoiler[dancing and catchiness], as well as what it was parodying, was not lost on me. The twist was super obvious, but in general this was a successful episode, it is good when it can take something and do what you might not have expected.

Not sure if we have really discussed this much before, but Space Dandy might be a really good introduction series into anime, after all there is a lot of American influences that go in and there is so much in the series. Dandy is pathetic, and kind of a perv, but he has a charm.
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 am Reply with quote
^ you forgot the reference to spoiler[the fly]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
WitchWatcher wrote:
^ you forgot the reference to spoiler[the fly]

Oh yeah, I made a note of it and forgot to mention it. I also thought the episode was a bit Footloose like as well, although I have not actually seen either of the movies before, at least in whole, or at least some movie that involved dancing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 24