• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I have to say I liked the first two episodes but episode 3 was just atrocious and complete bullshit. spoiler[Cornello turning into the hulk was complete bullshit. How can someone have bigger muscles than Armstrong? Just ridiculous and has completely destroyed the continuity of the manga!]

I'm done with this series.
So a muscle bound back fire is where you draw the line huh. Guess it needed more talking parrot.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That was just horrible, even Arakawa has said how much she hated that storyline.

Source?
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I think with Ed and Al we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
What back story? You mean spoiler[the rape?] That was just horrible, even Arakawa has said how much she hated that storyline. And she has generally been pretty silent on what she thinks about the 1st anime.

No, not that. I meant that, in the very first episode, we're told that she's lost her entire family, and that the reason why she wants her lover back is because he was all she had left. That made everything she did make much, much more sense to me.

Quote:
In the manga you can actually see spoiler[how Rose actually learned something from her experience with Ed and is moving forward] after her encounter with Ed. Although she is much more of a minor character.

And that was unbelievable to me. How could somebody with that much invested in her faith move on so quickly? It was a major issue I had with the first few chapters of the manga, and I was glad that they corrected it in the first anime.

Quote:
Notice how I said "to me" throughout my post. These are my own feelings I am not saying you are wrong either. I realize what is better is a matter of opinion I just like the manga more. I don't even hate the anime as I said earlier in this thread I rated it 8 out of 10. Although I admit over time I seem to enjoy it less and less.

You're right. I was taking my frustration out on you unfairly, and I apologize.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
amarielah wrote:
And that was unbelievable to me. How could somebody with that much invested in her faith move on so quickly? It was a major issue I had with the first few chapters of the manga, and I was glad that they corrected it in the first anime.
Quickly? It's not like it happened the next day. It had to have been months since that last happened and some people can recover from things like that it's called willpower. And hell when it gets back to Rose later in the first anime it looked like she was getting back on track until Lior situation got out of control and the rape crap. So you are out of line. Am I reading this wrong or did you honestly just say getting raped is getting corrected?

Last edited by crow-kun on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
amarielah wrote:

No, not that. I meant that, in the very first episode, we're told that she's lost her entire family, and that the reason why she wants her lover back is because he was all she had left. That made everything she did make much, much more sense to me.

This was in the manga too read those chapters again. It was left out of this new anime though

Quote:

I don't find it all that unbelievable. It also was not that quickly because a lot of time passes in the manga before spoiler[we see Rose again.] But a big theme of the manga is moving forward and not giving into despair so it fits with the theme of the manga. I love that theme so I guess I prefer it to what happens in the anime which is a bit too negative for me.

Quote:
You're right. I was taking my frustration out on you unfairly, and I apologize.

No big deal I am sorry if I was forceful with my opinion as well. I can be like that when it comes to the manga.

As for the source about the Rose thing unfortunately I can't find it just something I read awhile back. I know that you can't trust that (and if I was you I would not trust it either) so if you want to ignore what I said about that feel free to. It is something I read though.
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
crow-kun wrote:
amarielah wrote:
Quickly? It's not like it happened the next day. It had to have been months since that last happened and some people can recover from things like that it's called willpower.

Okay, so let me get this straight. We leave Rose crying and desperate, and get a glimpse of her a few months later and she's ZOMG OKAY. There's nothing in-between, just completely broken --> moving on.

I'm not allowed to find that jarring or unbelievable? There was nothing given to us in our brief encounter with Rose in the manga to show that she had that kind of willpower. The only explanation I can come up with is that Edward is "just that good", which bothers me even more.

For the record, I had the same issue with Code Geass R2 and the way that spoiler[Kallen was handled in the finale]. It would have been better not to show Rose again at all, than to show her having character development just because it fits in with the theme of the series. She may have developed, but not believably.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Well keep in mind that she is a minor character in the manga unlike Kallen who was a major character in Code Geass.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This was in the manga too read those chapters again. It was left out of this new anime though.

A few weeks ago, I took it upon myself to watch the first episodes of the anime while reading the manga at the same time, to come up with a more comprehensive comparison. spoiler[To my knowledge, it was never mentioned, since the scene where it's mentioned in the anime never happened in the manga at all (Rose standing by the graveyard, and Ed and Al seeing her there, discussing the nature of faith). I will reread those chapter, though, to see if I may have missed it.] I don't think I did, though, since I was literally doing a page-by-page comparison.

Quote:
I don't find it all that unbelievable. It also was not that quickly because a lot of time passes in the manga before spoiler[we see Rose again.] But a big theme of the manga is moving forward and not giving into despair so it fits with the theme of the manga. I love that theme so I guess I prefer it to what happens in the anime which is a bit too negative for me.

spoiler[While I agree it does fit in better with the manga's theme, I'm going to have to disagree still on the fact that it's believable. If character development happens in a vacuum, then we as the readers/viewers are not able to see what got a character from point A to point B. The Rose we see later on may as well be a different person from the Rose we see in the beginning, and I find that very unsatisfying.]
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
So far i only like, i mean i really love the op song of this remake of fma. Based on my anime experience im going to hope for the best because usually anime that contains good music that relates or adds meaning to the anime while sounding good, usually end being top notch. But so far nothing has been so great. I'm pretty sure this remake was done to produce cash, but nonetheless only until a good amount of episodes are out, i'll decide whether this version is good or not; and so too should everyone else before crying out like little b****es.

I find these vague comparisons with Geas funny. Lol geas is 2nd rate to fma, so whatever...

The humor is similar to the first. The action is also seemingly similar, but not quite. Everything is fast paced; and im sure in this version, everything will become more clear for everyone to understand(which includes all the toddlers of ann and the toddlers of anime in general.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
And now I'll actually get to my thoughts on this episode:

I really, really liked it. This is the first episode where I didn't feel like there was whiplash, and where I could actually just sit back and watch it without going "hubba wha?"

I even liked Hulk!Colonello. I'd even go so far as to say that it's a ShoutOut to Hulk, since it happened right after an alchemical "rebound". It still has a much more Shouneny feel than the first series, which isn't a bad thing. I do miss the more...introspective feel of the Lior arc from the first anime, but that has nothing to do with it being better. I just like that kind of thing.

So yeah, my hope has been restored.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just saw the third episode, and I do think some of you are being a little harsh. It wasn't that bad, and all things considered, it made sense for Rose to pick up the gun. Alchemically speaking, Cornello turning into The Hulk after a rebound is A) impossible and B) absurd, but whatever. (Impossible because a rebound signals going into the "negative energy" range of a transmutation where you're asking more than is available and therefore cannot transmute further but only have more subtracted from yourself. Cornellos suffers a rebound and THEN makes a succesful transmutation that is absurd because human beings, stone or no, cannot transmute their own anatomy non-fatally and reversibly. That's why the fact that homunculi can do it is a BIG DEAL in the story.) It seems like every creative license this show takes with the manga is a bad move, which is funny, because the manga's humble beginnings are inferior to the 1st anime*, so they're REALLY trying to bury themselves, it looks like.

Anyway, that aside, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated. It felt SO rushed though, Cray and the barkeep were rendered unnecessary cameos, and even Rose was a doorstop. Actually, I found the animation/design for both of them very unsatisfying. This hushed pastel thing the artists have going is really good for imitating the manga art, but it makes the characters look flat, and this wasn't obvious to me until I saw the basement scene "revamped" and realized that all the inking and tonal differences that made it so emotional the first time were GONE. Then I started noticing it everywhere. The lack of detail and lighting variance kinda bugs me. The end scene with the Homunculi was pretty good, though. I really like Lust's character design.

Anyway, next week we have Tucker. AGAIN. It will not be as good as the first time, and honestly, I don't want to endure that anyway, it's such a torturous episode. My only solace is that it will probably be as gratuitously gritty yet plasticine as it was in the manga and will just try to shock-jock me instead of being so darned tearjerking like it was before. It made my roommate CRY and she neither likes anime nor had seen the series before. She was torn up for a while, and every time I mentioned it she would make this really gruesome noise like "DON'T remind me, you big jerk!"

So hopefully nothing like THAT again, but just a lot of heavy toner and sin-city-esque angsting.

*Yeah, yeah, subjective view, I know, but I've read/watched both several times now, love both, but no matter how I slice it, the first few volumes of the manga are just "okay."
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Impossible because a rebound signals going into the "negative energy" range of a transmutation where you're asking more than is available and therefore cannot transmute further but only have more subtracted from yourself. Cornellos suffers a rebound and THEN makes a succesful transmutation that is absurd because human beings, stone or no, cannot transmute their own anatomy non-fatally and reversibly. That's why the fact that homunculi can do it is a BIG DEAL in the story.)

Well, now that you put it that way, it was a pretty stupid thing to do. I really never thought about it in that much detail before.

Quote:
This hushed pastel thing the artists have going is really good for imitating the manga art, but it makes the characters look flat, and this wasn't obvious to me until I saw the basement scene "revamped" and realized that all the inking and tonal differences that made it so emotional the first time were GONE. Then I started noticing it everywhere.

YES. There was something about the animation that bothered me, and you have just articulated it perfectly.

That being said, it still exceeded my expectations like woah, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle the rest...after episode four.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I think that Edward and Alphonse were largely the same in the first series as they are in the manga. Alphonse is a little more independant in the manga, perhaps, but that didn't even really develop until after the first series had already finished. I would say that in most of the cases, we had a lot of the same personalities, just approached differently. Now, you can probably make a case for Kimbley, who is much more zen about his murderous intent in the manga than the mad bomber in the first show, or Riza who seems like less of a Roy Mustang fangirl in the manga, or Scar who's actually relevant in the first series and not just a walking weapon like in the manga, but Ed and Al are the same.

Second, as far as this episode, I was pretty impressed how they managed to successfully cover all the major portions of those initial chapters of the manga so well in a single episode, with a pacing a lot more tolerable than the previous episode. I found myself not missing the bird chimera or the floating ororborus symbol from the first two episodes of the first series. (I facepalm now over the mistake Bones made with Envy using alchemy as Cornello in the first series.) It's interesting how they trimmed it by cutting out the expository dialogue between the brothers and Rose at the beginning and having them meet her in the church, instead, compensating for her lack of dialogue with her more heated conflict of faith when the brothers confronted Cornello. Cornello also seemed more pathetic this time around, showing what a little man he is, even as he went all CORNELLO SMASH.

This episode was okay. The next episode, with Tucker, will be the first real test of the new series, though.

I just wish that they'd stop using that tune where it seems like they're in an Italian restaurant. I almost expected Rose to start setting down fresh bread every few minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I would say that in most of the cases, we had a lot of the same personalities, just approached differently.

You know, I'm not sure I agree, but you may actually be onto something. One thing about the first series vs. the manga that always struck me was that they handled characters and character development so very differently. I can say with a lot of certainty that the first anime is more of a character-driven story, while the manga is a more plot-driven story. So it could very well be that they're not actually different characters, just a more straight-forward approach (the manga) versus a more psychoanalytical approach (the first anime) to the same characters.

Quote:

I just wish that they'd stop using that tune where it seems like they're in an Italian restaurant. I almost expected Rose to start setting down fresh bread every few minutes.

I totally get what you mean by this. Most of the music is fine, but that particular piece is pretty distracting.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
*reads replies to my post*

R.I.P attempts of sarcasm without a smiley face. Oh and just in case.. :roll:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 64