• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Confirms U.S. Release of Fate/Zero BD Boxes

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Isn't that what the partnership with Crunchyroll streaming it for?

How is a person who knows little about anime going to find Crunchyroll?
Google a series they are streaming, or click a link on a Facebook or blog review, or click on a bit.ly in a twitter feed.

With brick and mortar distribution fading, its easier for someone who knows little about anime but has run across something about a title to find and watch the series on Crunchyroll with free ad-streaming than to find and buy it on Amazon or Rightstuf or etc, and then that leads to some of those people watching the ad-streams joining as subscribers ... as demonstrated by the largely organic growth from 30,000 subscribers, the last time the number became public knowledge, to nearly 70,000 today, according to TV Tokyo.

But which series are responsible for that growth? The two most popular series Naruto and Bleach which air(ed) on tv. Whose going to replace Naruto and Bleach when those shows are over?

I could understand wanting to switch to the Japanese business model, if it brought good results but looking at the Winter 2012 only shows a wasteland of anime trying to grab the same audience.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, C-roll does have a somewhat simple ranking of their most popular shows.

As you can see, Fate/Zero is 8th currently, despite being a week later than the official nicovideo.jp streams.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I didn't say that Fate/Zero wasn't popular (I know Type Moon is a popular developer), I am saying that anime in America, needs to be able to grab people and introduce them into the fandom, and I don't think we can rely on Crunchyroll to be able to do that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, anime needs to be on TV. We are in agreement there. But that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Yes, anime needs to be on TV. We are in agreement there. But that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

The problem is if this leads to japanese companies deciding they could make more money importing anime to America instead of letting American companies release it. I feel like importing anime is a short term answer on how to make money in America, and not a long term one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

The problem is if this leads to japanese companies deciding they could make more money importing anime to America instead of letting American companies release it. I feel like importing anime is a short term answer on how to make money in America, and not a long term one.

This is my fear, too. That's kind of why I hope AoA goes tits up, even though I foolishly support the madness re: my recent ordering of the Madoka LEs...
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
But which series are responsible for that growth? The two most popular series Naruto and Bleach which air(ed) on tv. Whose going to replace Naruto and Bleach when those shows are over?

Those two are certainly not responsible for all the growth.

And, sure, it would be nice to have more anime on TV, but since there is nothing in the issues under discussion that interferes with getting anime on TV, that's wandering away from the discussion at hand. Given that there is less anime on TV, the type of streaming on CR is more important for being able to grow the market than whether a particular series has to wait a year or two for a North American release.

Quote:
I could understand wanting to switch to the Japanese business model, if it brought good results but looking at the Winter 2012 only shows a wasteland of anime trying to grab the same audience.

(1) The premise is an assumption not justified by the slender reeds of evidence trying to carry its weight and (2) what is the relevance to Aniplex's decision to do a batch import of Japanese BD discs of Fate/Zero to the selection of anime being produced for Winter 2012?
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
LukerJ wrote:
Also I ordered it too suckers!

I know I'm responding to a troll post, but I just have to point out the hilarity of someone who will be paying $400 for a Blu Ray set calling other people "suckers" Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Fate/Zero is different ~ unless its a question of Type Moon being a diva and not allowing a DVD release to sully their genius ~ as it seems to have much broader market appeal.

Kara no Kyoukai was initially released on DVD only, with no subtitles. As someone who imported them and then had no money come the subtitled BD release, it was really annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Fate/Zero is different ~ unless its a question of Type Moon being a diva and not allowing a DVD release to sully their genius ~ as it seems to have much broader market appeal.

Kara no Kyoukai was initially released on DVD only, with no subtitles. As someone who imported them and then had no money come the subtitled BD release, it was really annoying.

Thanks. I was going off some message (I'm not going to shuffle back through 20 pages to find it) that claimed there were no Japanese DVD releases of these two Aniplex BD batch import releases, so therefore a US DVD release is not going to happen.

But if I had checked the Encyclopedia, there are the Japanese DVD rankings at the bottom of the news stories referring to KnK. In the words of the poet Gov. Perry, Oops.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Thanks. I was going off some message (I'm not going to shuffle back through 20 pages to find it) that claimed there were no Japanese DVD releases of these two Aniplex BD batch import releases, so therefore a US DVD release is not going to happen.

I remember someone saying something like that, but I'm pretty sure they were talking strictly about Fate/Zero, which is NOT getting a DVD release (or at least there's no indication yet for any plans of one).
Mirri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Isn't that what the partnership with Crunchyroll streaming it for?

How is a person who knows little about anime going to find Crunchyroll? You can't ask a 13 your old child who just watched DBZ, or Naruto to pay 400 dollars for anime, that's insane. The way anime works in Japan is that they show people the series on tv and then they buy it. To make that work Crunchyroll would have to be having 600,000 people watch the show.

They. are. not. the. target. demographic.

This release is directed at IMPORTERS.

It is an IMPORT. It makes things easier for everyone who would've ordered the series through Amazon.co.jp or some other site even easier, allowing for a less expensive price for U.S. fans with the increasing strength of the Yen and the decreasing strength of the U.S. dollar. It allows fans to import more easily, because they do not have to pay for international shipping, for which you usually are required to order via "International Express" because the items are so expensive.

I doubt that a 13 year old fan would be interested in buying Fate/ZERO or KnK/the Garden of Sinners anyway. Not only would they be unable to afford it, but generally speaking in my personal experience (YMMV,) fans that young either subscribe to Crunchyroll (in my experience, ahahah fat chance!) or download you-know-who's release and then turn around complain about Crunchyroll's translation when they're not even paying for it.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a non-import U.S. release that was not from the Geneon (singles) days that cost $300+? Or another Aniplex release that was not labelled (Import) that cost more than $7.50 per episode at MSRP, and is not labelled "Limited Edition" or "Collector's Edition"? I'm pretty sure that there are none and the most expensive a normal DVD release has been per minute has been $.315 and that's Madoka Magica.

One is not entitled to Blu-Rays at DVD prices, or Collector's Editions at thinpak prices. I am not directing this at you, Charred Knight, I am directing it at the fandom in general. Imports will not be as cheap as the U.S. release because the Japanese market works differently.

This box was not intended for the American market. It was intended for the Japanese market, and Aniplex of America has graciously allowed those of us who would've imported it to get it without paying for international shipping, with a translation booklet and with insured shipping included in the price. Importers may have ended up paying about (edit: the equivalent of) $355 (edit: USD) on Amazon.co.jp, but they would end up paying between 1500 and 4000 Yen in shipping costs.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
Can someone please point me in the direction of a non-import U.S. release that was not from the Geneon (singles) days that cost $300+?

Hmm... The only expensive non-singles releases that I can recall that come close were the two 26-ish episode Fushigi Yuugi DVD sets that (I think) MSRP'd at $200. Given that some series were being released on 7 (or 8?) singles, that wasn't exactly overpriced.

Quote:
Importers may have ended up paying about (edit: the equivalent of) $355 (edit: USD) on Amazon.co.jp, but they would end up paying between 1500 and 4000 Yen in shipping costs.

Using an exchange rate from last week, I found that TRSI's price was about $20 more than the AmazonJP price, including shipping (¥26358 + ¥583). My shipping cost is lower because it's the remaining item from a multi-BD order. I still haven't got around to switching my order to TRSI...
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Using an exchange rate from last week, I found that TRSI's price was about $20 more than the AmazonJP price, including shipping (¥26358 + ¥583). My shipping cost is lower because it's the remaining item from a multi-BD order. I still haven't got around to switching my order to TRSI...
Yeah,the general trend has been a stronger Yen since Summer, but it recently moved the other way on worries about the Euro.

FX fluctuations is one reason some may prefer the TRSI approach.
Mirri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Mirri wrote:
Can someone please point me in the direction of a non-import U.S. release that was not from the Geneon (singles) days that cost $300+?

Hmm... The only expensive non-singles releases that I can recall that come close were the two 26-ish episode Fushigi Yuugi DVD sets that (I think) MSRP'd at $200. Given that some series were being released on 7 (or 8?) singles, that wasn't exactly overpriced.

Yep. R.O.D. the TV as singles + artbox (singles buyers got a small figure of Anita if they bought the vol1 with artbox, and pencilboards with every volume) was about $220 before tax or shipping. The "Collector's Edition" full box, which was the same thing sans the Anita figure, and perhaps the pencilboards (I wouldn't know) was MSRP $200. Basically, if it was Geneon and a "Collector's Edition" / complete collection, it was MSRP'd all the way up there. I looked Fushigi Yuugi's licensor after I wrote that sentence, by the way. I could tell by the pricing that it was a Geneon title, hah!

Ingraman wrote:
Mirri wrote:
Importers may have ended up paying about (edit: the equivalent of) $355 (edit: USD) on Amazon.co.jp, but they would end up paying between 1500 and 4000 Yen in shipping costs.

Yeah, it was about $355 when I cancelled my Amazon.co.jp pre-order, I am going to switch to TRSI when I have the right balance on my debit card for it to be able to reserve. The insurance included with the TRSI order is definitely something I'm interested in. Also, the translation booklet, even though I'm 100% sure that it will be on the internet before the release date. I want it. I want it bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22