• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - My Neighbor Yamada

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
Actually I think women have been more openly positive about it from what I've seen.

I meant to say something like that, but I garbled up the wording. I wanted to guard against overstating an relationships between gender and opinion on it since I couldn't really back a strong claim up. Hence my rhetorical curiosity in a comparison of parallel male and female opinions on the series. It seems like a ridiculous choice of show to try to treat so seriously, but what's interesting doesn't really discriminate on dourness or complexity.

bravetailor wrote:
Funny thing is, I think I've read more male critics being bothered by the "100 sex partners" initial concept than female critics, who seem to not really care all that much about it other than it being a quirky premise. This reaction of course is what has produced some of the more fascinating discussions online.

I've seen a little of that. An obvious angle is that it's lingering discomfort with female sexuality, something that almost any investigation into the past reminds us has a long history (such as this history of the vibrator! ), but I'll admit on the other hand I was made apprehensive because I thought that it would be an contrivance for pandering to a male audience, which I really don't like, especially at more than maybe an hours length.

Simple fact is the most males that watch this show are kouda, clueless when it comes to sex and afraid of girl with sex-drive thus getting it huge back lash from those type of fans. I am clueless my self but eh I am willing to admit it and this series did do something different for change which deserves it's praise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I've seen a little of that. An obvious angle is that it's lingering discomfort with female sexuality, something that almost any investigation into the past reminds us has a long history (such as this history of the vibrator! ), but I'll admit on the other hand I was made apprehensive because I thought that it would be an contrivance for pandering to a male audience, which I really don't like, especially at more than maybe an hours length.

I actually would also be fascinated to see how a concept like that would be handled for pandering to a male audience, because male fanservice shows tend to be more about catching "tee-hee" panty and cleavage shots here and there--passive peekaboo eroticism rather than actually facing the idea of sex head-on. I had a feeling that this "100 sex partners" idea wouldn't be that salacious after all since it wasn't hentai, so I was expecting something more on the level of Three's Company or Judd Apatow kind of sex humour.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Simple fact is the most males that watch this show are kouda, clueless when it comes to sex and afraid of girl with sex-drive thus getting it huge back lash from those type of fans. I am clueless my self but eh I am willing to admit it and this series did do something different for change which deserves it's praise.

I think there's something more psychological and social at work here. A lot of male anime fans I know who said that the concept initially "repulsed" them are pretty old, or at least I've seen them online for well over a decade. I assume they've had a few sexual experiences by now, but who can say for sure. Nah, I think it goes deeper than that. I think there's a fundamental social and gender dynamic at work here.

Of course, as a straight male also, I should be able to explain why, but I can't since I've long given up trying to hide the fact that I'm not exactly the ideal...erm...gentleman (yes I do watch and own some hentai and I fully admit it) so I can no longer feign outrage when faced with a show whose lead heroine wants 100 sex friends. Laughing

Last edited by bravetailor on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I should buy And Yet the Town Moves, such misleading art, the maids really do get passed over quickly and then we simply get a very solid comedy improved with that SHAFT /Shinbo touch (amazing that you got through the entire review without mentioning these industry darlings). Highlights for me include that long segment with the vending machine that was slightly reminiscent of Lucky Star but with those weirdly dramatic animation tricks, and that episode half where Hotori goes off with her brother for midnight Ramen- she's a bit of an idiot but she's such a refreshingly awesome big sister.

Chiaki Omigawa has also become a favorite VA, she has a distinctive voice that fits the role perfectly.

Minnow, I agree with everything you said. That episode where they sneak out was funny and heartwarming. Also Chiaki Omigawa is perfect for this role. The crazy Shinboisms throughout were really entertaining.

I hadn't heard about this release, but I adored the series when it was broadcast, so I will definitely pick it up ASAP. Yeah!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

I actually would also be fascinated to see how a concept like that would be handled for pandering to a male audience, because male fanservice shows tend to be more about catching "tee-hee" panty and cleavage shots here and there--passive peekaboo eroticism rather than actually facing the idea of sex head-on. I had a feeling that this "100 sex partners" idea wouldn't be that salacious after all since it wasn't hentai, so I was expecting something more on the level of Three's Company or Judd Apatow kind of sex humour.

Hmm.. i would as well but here is something I am more fascinated with. A guy becomes friends with a 2-3 female characters however he is sexually gay. The girls know this because he is having a hard time in school and getting constantly picked on by his class-mates over time he becomes really good friends with certain girl "no it doesn't go there" however it turns out that she is in love with the same guy as the MC. Now this is something I would actually like to see done and there is countless ways of doing it but ... yeah
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Hmm.. i would as well but here is something I am more fascinated with. A guy becomes friends with a 2-3 female characters however he is sexually gay. The girls know this because he is having a hard time in school and getting constantly picked on by his class-mates over time he becomes really good friends with certain girl "no it doesn't go there" however it turns out that she is in love with the same guy as the MC. Now this is something I would actually like to see done and there is countless ways of doing it but ... yeah

There are some manga that have done this...I think. And Wandering Son is halfway there (crossdressing boy has only female friends, gets bullied and called a fag at school, etc) though I believe Nitori is actually straight despite being a crossdresser. Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I'm following the manga only.

Last edited by bravetailor on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Tonkatruck wrote:
Hi Everyone. This is "Richard." Thank you everyone very much for liking the manga collection. It made my day to see that so many people have the same tastes that I do. Surprised

(Long time site reader but first time poster)

Welcome to ANN Mr. Finnegan!
kollivier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Between this and Rebecca Silverman's review, B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time is two for two in published reviews. When I noticed that it would be reviewed in Shelf Life, I expected it to make the rental shelf, so seeing it be made shelf worthy is a surprise. (Well, it was mostly savaged in the preview guide)

I haven't watched my copy yet, but I'm feeling ever more sanguine about having bought it.

I think that it would be interesting to compile a collection of comparative male and female reactions to the series, to contrast both opinions and the dominant themes of their reactions. I honestly thought that it would be just a crass, exploitative ecchi series, but although crass probably still applies, perhaps appropriately, I seen a few very openly approving reactions from women. I hate to overplay that, but the contradiction between my expectations and what the reactions have been was a big part of why I decided to buy it.

Actually I think women have been more openly positive about it from what I've seen. The male reaction has been more split down the middle. In a very subtle way, this show actually does feel like a female friendly sex comedy. But you'd have to watch it all the way to the end to get that feeling.

Funny thing is, I think I've read more male critics being bothered by the "100 sex partners" initial concept than female critics, who seem to not really care all that much about it other than it being a quirky premise. This reaction of course is what has produced some of the more fascinating discussions online.

Fun fact that I'm not sure many people are aware of - the BGHK manga the anime was based on was authored by a woman, so it definitely tackles the issue from a woman's perspective. Smile

Like Erin, I didn't expect much from this show but after watching it, I too would call it Shelf Worthy. It felt refreshingly honest, funny, and even heartwarming, and I would enjoy watching it again sometime. I think most people who approach the show with an open mind won't be disappointed.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
The Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (And Yet the Town Moves) manga is pretty good.
It is distributed by JManga now.
http://www.jmanga.com/soredemo-machi-wa-mawatteiru/1
Recently I reread Volume 8 of SoreMachi (the official contracted form of the title proposed by the author) in the original.

Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

There are some manga that have done this...I think. And Wandering Son is halfway there (crossdressing boy has only female friends, gets bullied and called a fag at school, etc) though I believe Nitori is actually straight despite being a crossdresser. Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I'm following the manga only.

Yeah I did catch that anime and it was wonderful piece of art, I do not wish to De-rail any further but is the manga still on going??
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
And Yet The Town Moves is definitely a hidden gem. Very much in the quirky spirit of Azumanga Daioh.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I'm shocked that Erin put B Gata H Kei in Shelf Worthy. When I saw the list of the shows for this weeks Shelf Life I said to myself I know this is going on the perishable list.

The first time I watched the series I was not crazy about. When I watched it again when Funimation put the show out on BD, well I just fell in love with the series. The dub is one of my favorites and IMO one of Funimation's top dubs and one of their funniest.

I was also shocked that she also put it in shelf worthy as well. Was expecting the series to be in perishable since ecchi/fanservice type series were never Erin's favourites.

Glad to hear she liked it cause it's a preety good series. Though it's weird that Erin did liked it, but Zac didn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
unready

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Erin Finnegan wrote:

... The final episode is a profound tear-jerker, complete with some slightly deeper social commentary on Japan.

... Some of the jokes could've used a slicker translation ...

In particular, the title, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, could have used a better translation, I think, such as Nevertheless the Neighborhood Goes On or And Yet the Town Survives or something like that.

It's a foreshadowing of that last episode where (really, really big spoiler) spoiler[Hotori dies and, although everyone is deeply anguished by the sudden loss, nevertheless the town goes on.]

I was also reminded of this series when Gia posted the list about horrible artists in anime. There was one episode where Hotori was in art class and spoiler[the teacher comes by and praises her work, saying "You've really captured the feeling of a horse running free across the plains." She looks at the floor dejectedly and says in a small voice, "Inu desu." ("It's a dog.")]

I'm not really a fan of wacky comedy. School Rumble was a little too much for me, for example, but Soredemo was definitely a fun watch.

Side note for site design: Gia's List isn't hyperlinked by any of the entries under Views. Shouldn't it be? At least include it with "and more ..."
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked that B gata H Kei was considered shelf worthy. I guess it is a unique approach to this type of series; but I just couldn't stand the main character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the group of shocked people that BGHK was rated shelf-worthy. Not because I disliked the show (indeed, it was one of my favourites), but because my ratings are more often than not the complete opposite of Erin's; hence why I fully expect the HLP review next time to be judged Perishable.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Experimental ecchi. Now I could get into that. I did briefly think about scenarios for it, but I then decided that there are better, less self-demeaning creative exercises to indulge in.

I think that I might have initially misjudged things because I had just come back to anime after a 'sabbatical' when I had first learned of the series and didn't really understand the conventions of ecchi. I especially didn't know about otaku purity obsessions, which is just incomprehensible to me. I suppose that I also had a deranged confidence in the Japanese to be able to find a way to make anything pander to male otaku.

kollivier wrote:
Fun fact that I'm not sure many people are aware of - the BGHK manga the anime was based on was authored by a woman, so it definitely tackles the issue from a woman's perspective. Smile

I noticed that a few weeks ago when I was considering the series. It was part of the snowball of defeating erroneous preconceptions
that swayed me toward buying it.

So I guess the lesson here is to make really wrong assumptions and enjoy having them be overturned or subverted. Or maybe I'm just an idiot.

shukero wrote:
I'm shocked that B gata H Kei was considered shelf worthy. I guess it is a unique approach to this type of series; but I just couldn't stand the main character.

I was thrown by the premise at first, but in the two episodes that I've seen (I'm saving the rest of the series for marriage... I mean later), I took an immediate liking to Yamada. I appreciated her blend of insecurities and confusion with a fairly assertive personality driven toward a very clear, but perhaps misguided goal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4