• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last Week's Naruto Shippūden Now Streaming for Free

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
They're doing what they can to iron the issues out, and they're moving as fast as they can to fight the thankless, freeloading bastards who know their favorite show is just a click away (and I don't mean clicking the "Add to Cart" button).
jedimaster5000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Why not just show dubbed episodes online? Everyone already know that there is a million NS episodes subbed online already, none of the other version.

And look at Funimation, at least they are showing something (w/ that anime that is currently on in Japan)
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
wow... ANN is like the middle-east of anime boards.

I think if I ever met with some folks here in real life we'd be exchanging punches real soon
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Nearly every fandom has angst, bitterness, and anger attached to it. Welcome to the world of nerdiness.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I really hate to see efforts like this to provide you people with the shows you want for free, legally, where money is going back to the people who made it for you, bashed and undermined by constant endless whining. It's never going to be good enough, I suppose.

Quite sad isn't it? Reminds of Funimation licensed Soul Eater. Even after Funimation licensed that show, people still had complaints. If I were a fan of Naruto, I'd just be glad to be able to watch the episode legally online.

I can understand why the paying people of Crunchyroll are agiatated, but I don't understand why the people who aren't paying are complaining as much.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Zac wrote:
I really hate to see efforts like this to provide you people with the shows you want for free, legally, where money is going back to the people who made it for you, bashed and undermined by constant endless whining. It's never going to be good enough, I suppose.

Quite sad isn't it? Reminds of Funimation licensed Soul Eater. Even after Funimation licensed that show, people still had complaints. If I were a fan of Naruto, I'd just be glad to be able to watch the episode legally online.

I can understand why the paying people of Crunchyroll are agiatated, but I don't understand why the people who aren't paying are complaining as much.

And something tells me the Soul Eater fans weren't in a rush to dump the fansubs from their hard drives, either. Rolling Eyes
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Zac wrote:

And something tells me the Soul Eater fans weren't in a rush to dump the fansubs from their hard drives, either. :roll:

Probably not.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Zac wrote:

And something tells me the Soul Eater fans weren't in a rush to dump the fansubs from their hard drives, either. Rolling Eyes

There's a difference: Naruto has an alternative (CR) Soul Eater, it's fansubs of bust
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
What is this fansub quality everyone is speaking of? DB's blocky and blurry releases that look like youtube streams when you watch it on a HDTV?

If you look at the free, 480p stream from Hulu and compare it to any HD raw/fansub available, you will quickly see there is a difference in quality. I can't comment on the quality of these raws/fansubs on an HDTV since I don't have one, but I would guess the cause is a problem with your system and not the files.

In any case, I'm perfectly content with the streams available for free. As I said before, they're certainly watchable. It's not a show I would want to buy, so I'm glad there is a legitimate way to watch it now, as if it were just another show on TV. I don't buy DVD's for every show I watch on American TV and there isn't any reason it should be different for anime.

Teriayki Terrier wrote:
If I were a fan of Naruto, I'd just be glad to be able to watch the episode legally online.

Legality alone won't be enough to attract every (most?) fansub watcher. If providing the streams is intended to combat fansubs, then Viz will have to provide quality sufficient to please the viewers or the whole project will have been pointless. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
they're moving as fast as they can to fight the thankless, freeloading bastards who know their favorite show is just a click away (and I don't mean clicking the "Add to Cart" button).

I'm confused as to whether I should take offense to this or not. Are you calling those who're watching the free streams bastards? Or those who watch fansubs despite the free streams? Or all fansub viewers in general?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Zac wrote:

And something tells me the Soul Eater fans weren't in a rush to dump the fansubs from their hard drives, either. :roll:

There's a difference: Naruto has an alternative (CR) Soul Eater, it's fansubs of bust

Funimation recently licensed Soul Eater, so all fans of this series have to do is simply wait until April to watch this series via dvd. There is other options with this series other than fansubs.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I wish that weren't true, but some people just love whining. Why doesn't matter, as long as they can. I personally find it kind of sad. On a better note, I'll start watching the new episodes once all the episodes prior are up to that point. No sense in watching episode 91 without having watched all the non-filler episodes prior. Of course, given the 8 episodes a week thing, that's still going to take a while. Around 3 months I believe. Oh well, waiting hasn't killed me yet.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Funimation recently licensed Soul Eater, so all fans of this series have to do is simply wait until April to watch this series via dvd. There is other options with this series other than fansubs.

Yeah....the DVD will start in April......THE SEASON IS AT EPISODE 40.

You actually expect someone to wait God knows how many months?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
What is this fansub quality everyone is speaking of? DB's blocky and blurry releases that look like youtube streams when you watch it on a HDTV?

If you look at the free, 480p stream from Hulu and compare it to any HD raw/fansub available, you will quickly see there is a difference in quality. I can't comment on the quality of these raws/fansubs on an HDTV since I don't have one, but I would guess the cause is a problem with your system and not the files.

In any case, I'm perfectly content with the streams available for free. As I said before, they're certainly watchable. It's not a show I would want to buy, so I'm glad there is a legitimate way to watch it now, as if it were just another show on TV. I don't buy DVD's for every show I watch on American TV and there isn't any reason it should be different for anime.

Teriayki Terrier wrote:
If I were a fan of Naruto, I'd just be glad to be able to watch the episode legally online.

Legality alone won't be enough to attract every (most?) fansub watcher. If providing the streams is intended to combat fansubs, then Viz will have to provide quality sufficient to please the viewers or the whole project will have been pointless. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
they're moving as fast as they can to fight the thankless, freeloading bastards who know their favorite show is just a click away (and I don't mean clicking the "Add to Cart" button).

I'm confused as to whether I should take offense to this or not. Are you calling those who're watching the free streams bastards? Or those who watch fansubs despite the free streams? Or all fansub viewers in general?

Fansub watchers who would rather steal than pay a dime for anything.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Fansub watchers who would rather steal than pay a dime for anything.

Not to offend you, but what else is new?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I'll blame Al Gore since he made this Internet thing. Yeah, fansubs are your fault, Gore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4