• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Everything Old Ain't New Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd say I came to AMV's from outside anime fandom, but inside Live action SciFi fandom... so what makes me remember them is how well the subject matter lines up with the feel of the music, and how well the musical cues are intercut with the video. I have always liked watching AMV for the purpose of discovering new and different types of music. It's kinda funny, but finding music that someone in my fandom REALLY cares about to the point of making a time consuming vid out of, means you can find some gems.

On the flip side of the coin, looking for MUSIC sometimes you find a vid that is outstanding, and perhaps might find a show that you have never heard of but the images are so stunning that you decide to check it out.

As for how I might judge something... I'm not into too many vid gimicks, and if the vid is having some cheeky fun with it's subject, that is to the good. Other than that, though... you simply like what you like... and tell the author of it how much what they did mesmerized or resonated.

I'd prolly make a bad judge in competition, but all I care about is the enjoyment anyway, so where's the bad in that?

The only one I'll point out as an example, is actually a little gimicky. It holds well within the visuals of the show, which are sometimes disconcerting as it is. It's been around since 2003 [Has it been so long?] so it may be showing it's age, though it has been viewed an astonishing number of times. Honestly the music to this has kinda become an alternate OP to the show for me, even though the original opener is also quite stunning. See what you think. Certainly not mine, as I have no talent for making them.

From Koopiskeva's Euphoria from Rahxephon based on Frou-Frou's music.

http://youtu.be/xwgVADWeNkw

Here is the original OP for Rahxephon, Hemispheres: http://youtu.be/CxfIJr1RYwc

so is all that a non-answer, answer?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
...... But Bandai Visual doesn't like the idea of people shunning overpriced DVDs and BDs, so they decided to punish their profitable and stable American division and put the blame on them, rather than their short-sighted business decisions. I really hope there's an investor uprising over that one, and they force the current management to resign.
It was more likely an investor uprising in the form of selling their stocks that spurred them to get out of the western market in the first place. Wink
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Gundam answer, I don't think the presence of Blu-Ray subtitles are a good indicator of how likely it is that Gundam AGE or any other show will be exported. What other Sunrise anime had English subtitles on its R2 release? The superhero show Tiger & Bunny, picked up by Viz and currently having an English dub in the works.

What's more, AGE is not even finished - of *course* there is no dub that we know of, or a U.S. broadcast or release in the works. It's much too soon. Outside of streaming and the still-rare simultaneous premium release, anime doesn't come to this country nearly that fast.

Though, I continue to lament their absurd region locking. AGE has subtitles right now, and that's still exclusive to Asia. Truly amazing and disappointing.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
"Terrible Robotech novels"?

IIRC, some of them aren't canon in regards to the Robotech universe as a whole nowadays.

As for the question, AMV's in my books are bad. Usually the song choices to anime choices are bad or don't mesh well, the quality is crap, or the scene selections are poorly thought out.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
I've only noticed a few people here on the forums talking about it, I can easily ignore them since I see nothing sexiest or backwards with how they treat women.

Then you must be completely blind.

I some how knew you would respond to me. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Does that sound fair? I would rather not have people be attacking me just because I do not agree with their viewpoints.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
ljaesch wrote:

IIRC, some of them aren't canon in regards to the Robotech universe as a whole nowadays.

You jogged my memory on one of the divergences, which isn't even listed in that Wikipedia article. When I reread these books a few years back, something made me do a double take when I read one of the novels based on the second Robotech war. I believe it was in "Metal Fire" when I read a part where Dana makes reference to having a brother. I was like, "Brother? Since when did Dana have a brother?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

I some how knew you would respond to me. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Does that sound fair? I would rather not have people be attacking me just because I do not agree with their viewpoints.

No, I'm not going to agree to disagree on this point.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much for letting me know about Hard Corps: Uprising!!

I didn't know about that game at all, and now all I need it's an Xbox or PS3 Razz

But at least the game exists!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
We definitely need more light novels though, both in length and breadth. Time to get those rescues and returns from haitus on. Publishers: start doing your part to help, only you can prevent wildfires (and bald-spots on my shelves.)

Quote:
With Bandai no longer releasing or licensing anime in the US

I thought licensing was ALL they were doing now. Not that I can recall hearing anything that struck me as obviously Bandai, or any "rescues," but would figure it's still happening.
Quote:
make sure to check and see if there are any cheapo copies of the Gundam novels

Yup, still a healthy supply when last I looked. Then again, I thought FF14 had catboys from the start, so not sure where that point came from.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Someone talked about FF14! Great game....
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
The books that recal the Robotech episodes are great!
Also, theGundam novels are being rereleased this summer as one big volume.
I wish you could have mentioned the light novel MM9 which more people need to read and which is available now in print and digital.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
ljaesch wrote:

*sniffle*

I actually own all of those novels, and the novels based on the actual episodes and the Sentinels volumes were books I enjoyed reading during junior high and high school (late 1980s and early 1990s). The End of the Circle came out while I was in high school, and the remaining novels were released when I was in college.

OK, I give you that the Sentinels material and The End of the Circle can be a little weird, and that the remaining books released those weren't as good, but... they're still a major part of my formative teen years and they bring me nostalgia. Yes, I admit that I'm looking at them through the lenses of nostalgia.

The "terrible Robotech novels" quip aside, though, good column this week. The question about the OAVs seems rather timely, considering the 3-part licensing series published by ANN this week. Like you, I think we have to resign ourselves to the fact that these older OAVs will probably never see the light of day again.

I walked away from anime in the late 1980s/early 1990s, and came back in the late 2000s (with some exposure to Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! through my kids in the early 2000s), so I know I missed out on a lot of gems (which get referenced a bit in Mike Toole's column). Sadly, I know that for many of these OAVs and long-lost series, I will probably never have an opportunity to see them legally.

I own most of those Robotech novels myself; some of which I bought in France when I was a teenager in the early 90's as well as all 3 1st editions of the Gundam novels translated by Frederik L. Schodt! Very Happy

I have all those novels too, I enjoyed them.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
The books that recall the Robotech episodes are great!
I wish you could have mentioned the light novel MM9 which more people need to read and which is available now in print and digital.

I thought they were already re-released?

At least, according to Chapters

I have the Robotech novels. Personally, I prefer the Robotech spin off material (the video games, the novels, the comics) over the animated works. Because, well, Shadow Chronicles having an inconclusive ending, supposedly getting a sequel but that seems to be not happening now. That and Harmony Gold letting the series rot instead of creating new material (comics and crap don't count. Referring to NEW material.)

On the Bandai/ Gundam issue, if I'm recalling what I heard right from a con a few years ago, they had the Turn A license for a few years and kept on putting off.

The sad thing about Bandai USA being in the state of limbo they're in means no dubbed After War X, no Victory release and possibly no new video games. The canning of UC's DVD release also put a dent in my plans as I was buying the DVDs as I don't have a Blu-Ray player, HD TV and don't really intend to get one until my current TV and DVD/VHS player dies.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Gundam UC volume 5 is being released with a dub last time I checked RightStuf so we are still getting gundam....

Also, I don't appreciate being called naive but I guess I was being naive thinking Square Enix would do something productive besides their dealings with Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex Human Revolution) Crying or Very sad

From what I read this LUMINOUS engine is used in some form in Final Fantasy 13 Versus so why not show off that game with the engine?
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:

They have been out for a few months in one large volume.

http://www.stonebridge.com/shopexd.asp?id=328
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4