• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic 200

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Togashi_D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations on 200 bamboo! Cool

For the record I also like Yugo. I've only watched the Pakistan arc though, but in your honor I will bust out my Yugo DVD's and watch the Russia arc.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, you started doing this as a college FRESHMAN? O_O;;;

So... no free DVDs to give away in celebration, huh? XDDD

Grats, Bamboo~
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh, dang! You live in the OC too? We should hang out! I'm also in Orange County! I go to Disneyland every week too!

Here is a link to my collection, just to tempt you:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=51746&l=9bbb0&id=623358326

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=79512&l=0a388&id=62335832

These aren't ready to be officially on shelf life, as I don't have any of my dvds or manga on there yet... but you get the idea...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Whoa! Let's rewind here. Why the hate for Orange? Drivers, sure, I can rag on them all day, but the place in general? Sad

You mean besides the monotonous weather and the cookie-cutter people? ; ) And the bandwagon sports fans? Not to mention it's the only place I've ever gotten a jaywalking ticket... And the lack of good Old World European food?

Very Happy I know there are plenty of people who love this place, but you can't transplant someone who loves the cold as much as I do.

But I do love Disneyland. Props on also having an AP, skyoeent.

---
Thanks for all the good wishes everyone! I can't thank you all enough for reading the column!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the shelf entertainment,Bamboo.200 articles takes some dedication.The mp3 was great,you should do more of those.It mixed well as I read through the column.

BTW,have you kept everyone's shelf jpg's over the years? I'm sure you've seen a ton of pics since you've started.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
And the bandwagon sports fans?

Bandwagon sports fans? Are you sure you're not in Tampa Very Happy ?

Quote:
Thanks for all the good wishes everyone! I can't thank you all enough for reading the column!

And thank you for writing such a great column. I was thinking of re-watching SaiKano and Genshiken as somewhat of a little tribute since you're the one that got me interested in those titles in the first place (especially Genshiken).
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Congrats! My favorite column on ANN, or I suppose for anime at all. Just my opinion, but I enjoy your point of view and your taste matches mine, so it must be good.

The only problem is the cost. I end up spending money almost every week because of your reviews. Wink

P.S. You are so-o-o-o right about the O.C.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Bisuketto wrote:

As for why Chika's torso is a different color from her limbs and face it's due to her school's one piece swimsuit creating tan lines. That being the case, when she's wearing a two piece her non tanned skin shows.

Ohhhhhh, I had totally forgotten about that after all these years. But for the record, that is not a realistic tan color at all. She looks ghastly. ;p

@Warrick: Thanks for the warning. Now that you mention it, I think you may be on to something.

The question I always had was how the bloody hell does she keep the tan 24/7 365? Ya never see her go to a tanning salon so how does she do it? The world may never know....

OT banter aside congratulations Bamboo on reaching 200 installments of Shelf Life (You're a quitter Zac, a quitter!). I bet you never thought all these years later you'd still be doing it did ya? I think you've done a fine job and ever since I started coming to ANN 2 1/2 years ago I've read every single installment and enjoyed them all. Hopefully you'll stick around for a few more before going off to make money with that degree of yours heh. Plus I'll have to agree with others you do actually have a very nice voice so more audio bits in future articles would be nice. maybe if you pave the way we could even hear Zac or Brian rant weekly which I think would be worth it's weight in comedy gold. Once again kudos and keep those reviews coming. One of these days I'll actually get to sending in pics of my own shelfs. Confused

bci110 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
On an unrelated note, I believe this is my new favourite picture of you.

The Chise cosplay picture was, is, and always will be my favorite picture of her Cool .

My favorite will (as it stands now) always be her Halloween picture dressed as a Chinese Communist hehe (if ya wanna see it you better register and check the Comm section heh). Though I will say I've never seen a better Chise period. I also prefer this pic of her in the XP-Tan cosplay she did. Big honkin gun ftw!
clavesoon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I totally get the Orange County thing.

Also I too, for inexplicable reasons, find Onegai Twins to be incredibly charming.

Cheers on 200.
Ragalde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Long time reader, first time poster.

Just wanted to thank you, Bamboo, for inspiring moments of mood-lifting amusement in me these past few years that I've read Shelf Life.

Best wishes for you and your future.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations on 200 Shelf Life columns, Bamboo! Here's hoping you get through the next 200 safely and your blood pressure doesn't get too high from the resulting forum feedback. ;p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
bleuster wrote:
Whoa! Let's rewind here. Why the hate for Orange? Drivers, sure, I can rag on them all day, but the place in general? Sad

You mean besides the monotonous weather and the cookie-cutter people? ; ) And the bandwagon sports fans? Not to mention it's the only place I've ever gotten a jaywalking ticket... And the lack of good Old World European food?

Very Happy I know there are plenty of people who love this place, but you can't transplant someone who loves the cold as much as I do.

But I do love Disneyland. Props on also having an AP, skyoeent.

---

hehehe thanks! Yeah, I love the OC, for some odd reason. But then again, the last job I was at was in Diamond Bar... and that place sucked... I dunno. I just like how the area I'm at is nice and quiet, and my neighbors are good people. Plus, we're so close to the Kinnokuniya and Book Off, that I need a fix, it's literally just around the corner! And the ramen shops are also good too. But yeah, the cookie cutter people tend to bother me...
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Congrats! I like your voice Smile
I'd also be scared to tally up just how much time I've spent watching anime/reading manga, etc. Who am I kidding, I'd feel geekily proud of it!
KitsuneMiku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
this is weird. its kinda feels like looking at my life in review. I really got into anime in '01 and went to my first convention in '03 only it doesn't seem that long ago.
I guess it just proves that time flies when you are having fun.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations Bamboo, you've really worked hard to achieve this. Though I really enjoy Anime News Nina, I also really enjoy reading Shelf Life. Though I'll probably never forget the time you wrote in a article that a over the top fan breathed racid pokey breath on to you. Although not the best experience, it's certainly something one remembers.

Looking back, I've only been a anime fan since 2002. I can't belive seven years have gone by that quickly. I still remember my first offical anime, Inuyasha. We've seen great times and not so great times in the anime industry though. But seriously Bamboo, thank you for all the hard work and energy you put into Shelf Life. The fact you were able to sit through Kannon, Magical Girl Sasami and Shuffle and still give them a educated review, is quite impressive.

Happy 200th column, I look forward to reading another 200 columns. Hopefully Shelf Life will eventually have a ten year anniversry. Thanks again! :D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7