• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Relinquishes Ro-Kyu-Bu! Home Video Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
dormcat wrote:

It's not the level of nudity, but how characters interact.

[snip]

On the other hand, Ro-Kyu-Bu! sets its story in a very realistic environment, with an older male lead and five lolis in a typical harem pattern.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Considering that there have been some recent scandals involving coaches sexually abusing their students in the USA I would guess that the Licence holders decided to show a bit of restraint with this title.

You are also quite as well ScruffyKiwi. While this is a anime, the fact remains there is a older male lead and five very young female cast members. Given the recent scandal involving several coaches in USA (namely the Sandusky trial) I am not surprised that the license holders would want to hold off on this series for now.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
hmm some other force seems at work here or is just me being paranoid?? Oh well it was just loli basketball that was cute & fun to watch but not really worth owning.

We can make assumptions but in the end they're only assumptions. Let's not try to spread rumors here.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Considering that there have been some recent scandals involving coaches sexually abusing their students in the USA I would guess that the Licence holders decided to show a bit of restraint with this title.

That's more than a bit myopic. "all licensees outside of Asian territories" ≠ USA. It certainly doesn't explain why the title would have been pulled from non-US markets.

Whatever the real reason is, I doubt it's anything that's been speculated about in this thread.

Last edited by Citizen Klaus on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Would the Japanese even know about something like the Sandusky thing? That seems like something only Americans would care abotu since it was an American football coach.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Would the Japanese even know about something like the Sandusky thing? That seems like something only Americans would care abotu since it was an American football coach.

yeah some japanese keeps up with our scandal news as much as we keep up with theirs. Still this makes a tad more sense... hmmm oh well I'll wait another year to get the set
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Love to get the real skinny on this. I have absolutely no useful speculation to put forward, either informed or non-informed.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
So, someone bought the Asian territory rights for this show??
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I am sure some of them would know about it. Consider how big it ended up being it would not surprise that people in Japan would know about it or even people in other countries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks. I'd have bought it. I doubt we'll ever be told exactly why the license was pulled. I'd ask Sentai at their panel at AX, but they don't seem to have one, and their Q&A sessions usually aren't very enlightening anyways. If they were allowed to say, and they felt like it, they'd have already done so I guess. I don't mind as much if things are explained, but just a cryptic "Licensor asked for it back" just annoys me.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I was surprised this on even got picked up in the first place. But, it's not like fans of it can't still watch it in some form since Sentai is keeping the streaming rights for it. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the whole lolli factor. But, whatever, it's not this title was going to be any kind of significant seller.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
*bangs head repeatedly on the desk*

And I was going to buy the DVDs/BDs of this anime when it comes out on the market. Sad I was actually interested in this anime. :/
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
[
the media company/right holders in japan probably doesn't want the publicity if it does. I watched some of the show uncut and it's now worse than strike witches, dance in the vampire or even kohime muso which are all licensed. It's just a guess on my end...

Thats ridiculous. RKB has nothing on any of those shows in terms of service.

RIGHT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXk6bnjkdg&feature=BFa&list=HL1340843491
Bath scene groping, maid outfits, and panty shoots because girls flipped up their skirts.... ya nothing in terms of fan service.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
[
the media company/right holders in japan probably doesn't want the publicity if it does. I watched some of the show uncut and it's now worse than strike witches, dance in the vampire or even kohime muso which are all licensed. It's just a guess on my end...

Thats ridiculous. RKB has nothing on any of those shows in terms of service.

RIGHT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXk6bnjkdg&feature=BFa&list=HL1340843491
Bath scene groping, maid outfits, and panty shoots because girls flipped up their skirts.... ya nothing in terms of fan service.

Theres no nudity though, which is the most important thing. Strike Witches, Dance in the Vampire Bund and Koihime Musou all show loli nipples, which is a much bigger thing then dressing some little girl up like a maid.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I am sure some of them would know about it. Consider how big it ended up being it would not surprise that people in Japan would know about it or even people in other countries.

Sankaku Complex (note that this link is definitely NSFW) is an American-hosted English language site which delights in reporting on all the sordid stories that come out of Japan specifically and East Asia in general, and schoolteacher or student-centered sex scandals are one of their staples. I would be shocked if there isn't a Japanese language equivalent to that site focused the opposite way.

And it wouldn't even have to be a big incident like the Sandusky case, either. I live in what is apparently only the 34th largest metro area in the U.S. and we probably have an average of 3-4 more minor cases like that come up in the region every year. That would translate into hundreds (if not thousands) nationwide every year that might hit local news but not be big enough stories to get national play but could certainly be dredged up by a site like Sanakaku.

No, I agree with the speculation that someone on the Japanese end probably got nervous about the content. But, again, it's just speculation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10