• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Hagaren Box Buyers Get 1st Peek at New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
$700... I mean, FMA is great and everything, but I wouldn't put that money even towards a series I loved with all my heart. Well, not right away anyways.

For that much money, it should include a life-sized, gold-plated statue of Al. Razz
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
$700...hah, and people were bitching about the SFIV special edition with the CD soundtrack, figurine, XBL coupon, and anime movie for $80.

You're right. $80 for a video game package full of Made-in-China toys and Made-in-Mexico optical discs is reasonable price. Japanese animation market is collectors' market, so $700 for Made-in-Japan limited quantity DVD boxset is not surprsing.
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
letniinside wrote:
tons of fansub hating lurking here huh at ANN? Hippocrites, as if haven't watch fansubs.

Pirates? is that the one off shore at Somalia?

Fansubs are not the same as axxo.
Fansubs own their translated scripts, besides its free tv broadcast, just like watching your fave sport match that you've missed.

What are you, daft? There was no ill will in my post at all. I called them pirates because that's the actual correct term & what they like to be called. Sure there might be some negative connotation behind such a name, but that isn't my fault. Try educating yourself before talking (also, learn how to spell). & I never said anything about hating fansubs. I watch them all the time. Not to mention that my original post had nothing to do with fansubbers. Pirates are the ones that post the stuff online in the first place. Fansubbers have nothing to do with that. Yeesh....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Generally, Japanese consumers have a bragging rights mentality. They would pay full price for a Louis Vuitton bag, even if another store nearby has the same bag for half-price, just so they can brag to their friends how much they paid for their bag.

Japanese consumers also haven't much developed a bargain or "best buy" mindset yet. If they want something luxurious, they'd pay the expensive price for it. If they want something cheap, then they go to cheap places like Uniqlo. Not much in between, like a luxury item for a cheap price. It's either one or the other. Laughing
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Japan really does have the market on shameless and overpriced marketing ploys cornered. What, precisely, besides seeing the show early, makes this bundle worth $700? There are R1 box sets with more extra goodies than that. I mean, ooh, you get to see the new series' premier a little bit earlier than everyone else! Instead of just waiting, you can fork over an excessive amount of money for something very frivolous!

Are otaku really this stupid? Are the Japanese companies really this shameless and arrogant? And people think American otaku are bad...

Being an owner of several Japanese R2 Anime DVD's, I have to disagree with you. Japanese DVD marketing is focused on serious otaku collectors and they offer better bonus materials than R1 DVD's. Did you even bother to check actual product contents of this FMA DVD boxset? Let's say that you bought every disc brand new separately from Japan. Remember this is Japanese R2 pricing, not licensed R1 pricing. So they'll cost you 137,963 Yen or about US $1,400 for every DVD volumes, soundtracks, and "drama CDs" that was released in Japan excluding sales tax and shipping cost. DVD box sets are PROJECTED to sell only 20,000 copies at most. So If you do some calculation, $700 is about right price to make serious profit. Well, you can pre-order from Amazon Japan for about $350, so people there are not actually spending $700.

There is customer and seller loyalty between collectors and DVD maker. In order to attract their Japanese customers to spend that much money on a DVD box set, Japanese DVD makers went through a lot of trouble and money to make their product look good. They went through trouble remastering DVD, adding audio commentaries, hiring luxury product graphic designers to design the new package and contents, renting out a hall for screening, and spent thousands on advertisements, and so on. Since Japanese are not Hollywood where they can't sell millions of copies, those little customer appeasements are expensive. So Japanese fans getting some pampering that most us non-Japanese fans don't get. How often do we see domestic companies going through whole nine yards to sell their DVDs?

Before bad mouthing Japanese Otaku market for spending that much, look what American fans are doing. I mean, they are spending $80 for a package consists of a 50 cents Made-in-China toy and 20 cents Made-in-Mexico optical discs. Just because Japanese don't sell their stuff cheap like in the states, it doesn't mean their marketing is shameless and arrogant. When was the last time you bought a 100% Made-in-USA product in full price?
cnav

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
What is up with people commenting on spellings and language.i myself dont't spell properly on the forums,but that is just because i want to post as quickly as possible.

And speaking about dvd boxsets,this boxset is surely overpriced.But they are giving lots of stuff in it.And there are many people who will end up buying it.So there is no use arguing on this topic.

If i had the money, i would have bought it immediately.(i'm kinda 125$ short).
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
Uh...discs are made on the cheap regardless of who's manufacturing them, so that argument holds about as much water as a drinking glass with several very large holes. If you want to go with the "well you shouldn't buy things that are made at little cost but sold at high profit" argument, Japan's no better about that, and most consumer items are like that around the world...so, uh, yeah.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
My point is that there are so many little factors adding up to make that those discs expensive. You said that reproduction of discs are cheap anywhere. Have you ever found about how much those professional reproduction would cost in Japan? Honestly I don't know the cost for professional grade DVD reproduction in Japan, but looking at overall Japanese DVD pricing of all media (live action and animation), I believe their pricing always has been higher than other countries due to their economy.

We're talking about niche title that is meant to sell at small quantity. Japanese could sell their Anime discs for really low price at their level at massive quantity, and they're doing that by releasing lower priced DVD box sets. Again considering the typical Japanese economy, they do have limit. Have you ever read about specialty documentary video for institutional use which costs $175 per title? Japanese Anime DVDs are similar because they both sell specific titles for specific audience. Since Japanese side has to carry the burden of production cost with very limited market, they have no choice but to sell at current price. Fans here are lucky that they have domestic companies that distribute licensed Anime titles for much lower price.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
My point is that there are so many little factors adding up to make that those discs expensive. You said that reproduction of discs are cheap anywhere. Have you ever found about how much those professional reproduction would cost in Japan? Honestly I don't know the cost for professional grade DVD reproduction in Japan, but looking at overall Japanese DVD pricing of all media (live action and animation), I believe their pricing always has been higher than other countries due to their economy.

No, not true really.

DVD replication in Japan is more expensive than in the US (or mexico) for large quantities, however for small batch runs around 10,000 or so it's no more expensive than the US, because Japanese DVD houses specialize in lower print runs. So for more anime DVDs with print runs less than 10,000, the cost of replication itself is no more than in the US.

The prices of R2 DVD video is high almost purely because of market forces and has nothing to do with it being inherently more expensive to make DVDs in Japan.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
One thing I want to know is that would it kill the publishers to put English subs on it? Some people want to buy the high quality sets and with the half season and thin packs, it leaves a hole in the market. All these publishers have to do is just add one set of subs and I'm sure some Americans would pick this up.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
^ Not only Americans. Wink

Anyway, I think many of you are forgetting, or don't know, that the discs in this set aren't DVDs, but Blu-Rays, thus the higher price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
^ Not only Americans. Wink

Anyway, I think many of you are forgetting, or don't know, that the discs in this set aren't DVDs, but Blu-Rays, thus the higher price.

Uh, no. They are DVDs.

There is a blu-ray version of the MOVIE that is included as a bonus, that's the only BD in the box.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
One thing I want to know is that would it kill the publishers to put English subs on it?

Depends if they stand to make more money selling the licenses around the world than selling the DVDs around the world.
strahl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:

There is customer and seller loyalty between collectors and DVD maker. In order to attract their Japanese customers to spend that much money on a DVD box set, Japanese DVD makers went through a lot of trouble and money to make their product look good.

My point exactly....

Also, Ghibli movies are coming with english subs, though I don't see people rushing to buy their 50.00 dvds, and to be honest...

Japanese studios know that

1- piracy can promote the shows merchandise
2- otakus elsewhere are cheap
3- USA Otakus dont really want to spend money on the thing.

We are a big bunch of paintball players using water guns and overwatered coolaid on it, with homemade gear, wanting to compare ourselves with the best of the world....
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
strahl wrote:
Quote:

There is customer and seller loyalty between collectors and DVD maker. In order to attract their Japanese customers to spend that much money on a DVD box set, Japanese DVD makers went through a lot of trouble and money to make their product look good.

My point exactly....

Also, Ghibli movies are coming with english subs, though I don't see people rushing to buy their 50.00 dvds, and to be honest...

Well, Buena Vista of Disney distributes the Ghibli films, so they may actually prefer you pay them $50 in Japan than $30 in America. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4