• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Durarara!! Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn about this. I own the DVD's, so I'll have to wait for more information. Is this a tin box LE, Like Geneon used to produce? Price is also somewhat of a factor.

I double dipped for the Baccano blue-ray set, back when it was released the first time as a "limited edition". I guess it didn't end up being so "limited" as Aniplex first advertised, since they are reproducing it a year later. Rolling Eyes

... and no mention of a blue-ray edition of Blue Exorcist? I most likely would double dip for that, since the added value would include the dub.... (yes, I bought all the sub-only DVD's) Anime dazed

Aniplex makes me feel like a chump, sometimes. Confused
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
It's almost twice as long as Baccano, so I wouldn't expect it to be near that price. DRRR was also much more popular in Japan than Baccano was, so they will be more leery of releasing it at a lower price I would think.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm torn about this. I own the DVD's, so I'll have to wait for more information. Is this a tin box LE, Like Geneon used to produce? Price is also somewhat of a factor.

I double dipped for the Baccano blue-ray set, back when it was released the first time as a "limited edition". I guess it didn't end up being so "limited" as Aniplex first advertised, since they are reproducing it a year later. Rolling Eyes

... and no mention of a blue-ray edition of Blue Exorcist? I most likely would double dip for that, since the added value would include the dub.... (yes, I bought all the sub-only DVD's) Anime dazed

No, the Baccano blu-ray they have up for per-order is just standard, just 3 discs in a blu-ray case. As I'm sure that the limited edition came with a box of some sort.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm definitely glad I waited for Durarara ... Blue Exorcist too Laughing
Aniplex USA needs to stop with these dvd-only releases. Maybe Oreimo will get a US BD version by the time the sequel comes out.

Kruszer wrote:
Already own Durarara on DVD so; pass.

Also pass on Bakemonogatari's bastardized stream. If you're going to stream it you can't cut episodes. Mad

I will however, buy Bakemonogatari when it's released....provided it's a complete release of all 15 episodes.

I'm pretty sure Bakemonogatari will be the complete 15 episodes. However I'm not so sure when they mentioned:
Quote:
The stream will be the original 12-episode television broadcast of the series.

if the streams--presumably on Crunchyroll--will be the actual original TV broadcast version or the first 12 episodes from the bluray version. Aside from the missing final episodes, the TV version was already very gimped compared to the video version.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
No, the Baccano blu-ray they have up for per-order is just standard, just 3 discs in a blu-ray case. As I'm sure that the limited edition came with a box of some sort.
Yes, the limited edition had a box.

To compare the two...
http://www.rightstuf.com/cms/action/ItemDescription?ItemDescriptionTypeName=ALTERNATE_IMAGE_1&ItemName=aoa0802&LanguageIsoName=en
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCOQ5cscN8
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I'll never buy Aniplex USA at their price.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's almost twice as long as Baccano, so I wouldn't expect it to be near that price. DRRR was also much more popular in Japan than Baccano was, so they will be more leery of releasing it at a lower price I would think.

But yet, they were using Durarara's name to sell Baccano, I find that to be a bit...I was annoyed by it. And I don't understand the popularity of Baccano, it's over the top, not very many likable characters, and all the damn blood and violence.

I like Drrr more, the character are more real and likable. And Celty is a strong female lead, that's becoming rare to come by.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Takokujin wrote:

It's called saving you money. If you want it bad enough, you will figure out what to buy and what not to buy, and figure out what it on the top of you're to-buy list.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Takokujin wrote:

Perhaps you should wait to hear a price before you make as rash a judgement as never.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I hear you. It is kind of frustrating to keep up with Aniplex USA releases. I am very excited for the Bakemonogatari BD release this fall, but it is making me uneasy that they have not announced a release date yet. I hope they announce later today or tomorrow.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Takokujin wrote:

It's called saving you money. If you want it bad enough, you will figure out what to buy and what not to buy, and figure out what it on the top of you're to-buy list.

Saving one's money doesn't change the fact that Aniplex charges absurd prices for their sets. This shouldn't even be a limited edition release. People have been asking for the BD and now that they finally deliver, they're more than likely going to charge an arm and a leg for it and let whatever amount they print sell out and not offer a standard edition until much later on.

They did the same damn thing with Baccano and a variation of this happened with OreImo, which only got a DVD release. It's bad enough they released Blue Exorcist as sub only, while constantly saying "no" to a dub release, only to say "Okay, we're doing a dub" when Viz's Neon Alley was announced. In a way, Aniplex spends more money doing releases like this, rather than a medium that satisfies all of the fans.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Takokujin wrote:

I absolutely agree with Vata Raven. But I get the feeling that some of the ones complaining about pricing get upset because THEY WANT TO OWN ALL ANIME THAT COMES OUT AND PAY ONLY $10 OR LESS PER SERIES.

Edit: I am using hyperbole of course.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tsukento

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I absolutely agree with Vata Raven. But I get the feeling that some of the ones complaining about pricing get upset because THEY WANT TO OWN ALL ANIME THAT COMES OUT AND PAY ONLY $10 OR LESS PER SERIES.

Nah. $10 is way too unrealistic for a release. I'm completely fine with releases at $50+. Anything $100+ is just way too much (especially if you want to own Fate/Zero).
Niyari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Coolio, I'm loving the SAO opening song.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Nah. $10 is way too unrealistic for a release. I'm completely fine with releases at $50+

Yet in the post before this one you completely bemoan what was a relatively inexpensive ($70 MSRP) BluRay set released by AoA for Baccano.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15