• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-20]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
The cliche that keeps me from a ton of shows:

"Oh, I'm just a 12-17 year old girl with the physique of Dolly Parton at 30, the face of a 10 year old, and I'm too shy to even talk to a scrawny boy with so little interesting about him like that protagonist over there. Heck, I'll blush when I'm talking to a phone menu. Of course I'm single and never have been on a date and have the disposition of a 9 year old who has never seen the blue sky -- why do you ask?"

At least Haruhi and Higurashi didn't play it straight.

Last edited by Kenotic on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Dahling

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
:O

They talk about amazing original anime and no one thinks to mention Utena?!?!

And speaking as a self-confessed 'young' anime fan I'd like to put out that I do watch older shows it they interest me, and drop them if they don't. But then I also think alot of these older fans are acting rather xenophobic towards the new shows...

Edit: Wish I'd gotten to this sooner... Utena isn't based off a manga, it's one of the rare cases that the manga came afterwards. (I think it was a friend of the original maker who did it, and they got into fights because the manga went in a slightly different direction.)

Last edited by Dahling on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
I resent the remark you made about toradora Brian, if that's the type of anime you thought it was I implore you to look again. There's no way in hell I'd touch that anime if it was another eechi anime about some loser male who find himself wedged between boobs for all of 26 episodes and bleeds his body weight in blood through his nose.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
Dahling wrote:

Because it's based on a manga. But of course that doesn`t change the fact that it's an awesome show.

I agree on Toradora by the way. I still haven't seen it, but for now it pretty much convinced about all my friends who really hate those stereotyped ecchi/harem shows fitting Brian's description. That's why I'll give it a try as well.
krownklown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
This man lost all credibility as soon as i read the words Kemonozume and high level of animation in the same sentence.

This show, I admit i haven't seen all of it, but its held back because the animation is terrible, its some kind of combination between Shin Chan animation and the painting the Scream, its awful; not to mention the other short comings of this show.

And am I the only one who thought Answerman of the week tried to avoid answering questions as much as possible, instead half his answers were rants, and when he finally answered something it was half assed at best.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
*sigh* I rarely even read Answerman and the one time I do I find myself being defensive...

Quote:
Except that occasionally, the main character-guy will fall into a girl's breasts, or perhaps accidentally see her panties, and his nose will bleed! By which I mean to say that I find those shows to be boring and predictable.

Like the others have said (and the rest will say), Toradora! is nothing remotely like that. If it was I'd have just passed it over like the dozens of other shows that are like that broad generalization. Sure, Ami flirts a lot early on, but she never comes on too strong. One of my favorite things about Toradora! is that the characters are looking for genuine relationships, not sexual relationships. By episode 23 there hasn't even been a single kiss, not even an attempt. It's been amazingly unpredictable, even if you think you can figure out what's going to happen it's doubtful you'll ever guess how it'll get there. For me it's easily the best title to hit Japan in 2008, even compared to phenomenal titles like Library Wars, Kure-nai, and Natsume Yuujinchou.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
Three things.
  • While it's true we have young fans who are unappreciative of older anime, it's also true that we have older fans who are unwilling to acknowledge the worth in some newer shows.
  • As many others have said, your predictions on Toradora! are way, way off.
  • I'm sure Brian's answer to the Answerfans question would be the moment when the guy falls into the girl's breasts.
That is all.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping that when Brian saw "Toradora" he was confused and thought instead of "Kanokon" or something like that, because, as has been said many times already in this, the first apparent instance of fanrage at the new Answerman, Toradora is nothing like he described.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
krownklown wrote:
This man lost all credibility as soon as i read the words Kemonozume and high level of animation in the same sentence.

There is a difference between "animation quality" and liking the "art style" or not, eventhough I'm not quite sure which one he meant. xD

A lot of people like Kemonozume because of its weird, refreshing, original style. That's just a matter of taste. It's not really to my liking, but the animation quality itself was fine. At least I remember some really beautiful scenes, like the one in the pool with broken piece of glass. But overall Kaiba is the better show imho ... hope the next show of the same director gets even better ^^
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
Brian, you need to watch Toradora! yesterday, seriously, if that's what you are thinking the show is. I think Toradora! is absolutely one of the best anime to come around in years. I'll admit to being a fan of some of the "generic" series myself (I liked Shuffle, for example) but Toradora! is miles apart from those kinds of shows.

You really need to watch at least 4-5 episodes before your next column, I think you'll find why it's a show that most deserves a license of anything that's been released within the last year.

(Just an example, compare the popularity of the thread for Toradora! in this forum to something like Shuffle! or Akane-iro or anything you think is in the same genre. )
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
--When pulled off properly, fanservice is a very good thing, as the term itself suggests, and Gurren-Lagann more than hits its marks with both the character eyecandy for males and females and the giant robot action (particularly the latter, obviously).

This fanservice was not a parody. It was of the lowest-common-denominator. Putting one of the female leads in a bikini and having her hold an oversized "gun", well she is pretty explicitly there to be eye candy, and only eye candy. And it completely shuns even the slightest hint of reality; as if a female of her stature could ever handle the recoil, and that bikini is worse than useless in a desert.

Top Gun wrote:
--Yes, the show follows many traditional shounen and mecha elements, but considering it's part-parody-of, mostly-tribute-to the super robot series of the past, that's just what it should be doing. Gurren-Lagann never claimed to be any sort of revolutionary work; however, it's the general style with which it presents those elements, as well as the aspects that do break new ground, that make it something unique.

You want tribute? Try the design of the Xephon off RahXephon. You want parody (albeit fairly poorly done)? Then watch SD Gundam Force. The Colbert Report is a good watch too. But I am dubious when a series (or its fans) claims it is one giant parody of an entire genre, because it so often it is just an attempt to mask that the series is actually bad. "Oh no" the fans cry, "this series is supposed to be awful. It's a parody." Yeah, right. The line between masterful parody and a horrible show is a very fine one indeed......

Top Gun wrote:
--Considering that it's a super robot show itself, how does its use of "super robot physics" not make complete sense? And that "absurdity" you mention is the series' very core...it maintains a tongue-in-cheek attitude, poking fun at its own disregard for conventional ideas of how the world works even as it utilizes those same elements. Maybe we're operating on completely different wavelengths, but when I see a show that keeps increasing and increasing in scale to the point where spoiler[a robot bigger than a galaxy is throwing other galaxies around like shuriken]...well, you've essentially re-written my mental dictionary's definition of "awesome."

Oh God, that is just awful. There exists Super Robot physics, which are almost never explained and often seem to rely on numerous instances of Deus Ex Machina. And then there is physics so mind-boggling absurd that the series just comes across as being a wanker (if it were human), with the "Deus" switch on permanently. I mean, if the robot could be that big and powerful in the first place, how come the original war was lost? Oh no, only humans have enough self-belief and "badassery" to defy the laws of physics. Ridiculous, and not in the good definition of the word.

Top Gun wrote:
If you want to say that you hate "absurd" shows, or dislike any and all displays of fanservice, that's your right. But criticizing a show for doing exactly what it set out to do? Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't make any sense at all.

I like the shows I watch to be watchable without the aid of mind-altering drugs, thankyou very much. But I don't mind that people like TTGL. In my opinion it certainly isn't the worst Anime out there, not by a long chalk. No, what really makes me angry is people claiming that it is more than what it is. They say that it is epic, that it is thoughtful, that it is a parody, that it is a Masterpiece, and that the characters are so amazing. If I knew someone like Kamina in real life I would dob him in to the narcotics division of the police, and if I saw Yoko on the street she would get arrested for prostitution (which is largely legal in New Zealand, but that's not the point).

All TTGL really amounts to is lots of cleavage, lots of shouted one-liners, lots of vapid action, and a story which is so geared towards childish wish-fulfillment it makes Death Note look good in that regard.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
Brian Hanson wrote:
Except that occasionally, the main character-guy will fall into a girl's breasts, or perhaps accidentally see her panties, and his nose will bleed! By which I mean to say that I find those shows to be boring and predictable.

Brian Hanson wrote:
You kiddin'? The nation of Japan will be watching repeats of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Tetsuwan Atom, and Lupin III, as well as new episodes of ancient, ancient shows like Doraemon and Sazae-san, until the Sun explodes in a fiery cosmic burst of epic, destructive beauty.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't write about it. I never read such inaccurate remarks from the original Answerman. As the others have already pointed out, the current Answerman is completely off the mark concerning Toradora!

I wonder if he can show me where are Gundam, Tetsuwan Atom, and Lupin III currently being aired in Japan, what are their ratings, and more importantly the average age of who is watching them. Sazae-san always appears on the top TV rankings, but kids aren't the target audience. Just like young Americans, young Japanese want the cool and the new.

Last edited by rti9 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Michiko to Hatchin seems interesting. I generally can't be bothered with keeping up with anything fansubbed. I've got plenty to watch already and would rather wait for the dub. I'd like to see it eventually though. I get a vaguely Samurai Champloo-ish vibe from it.

P.S. That's actually a good point about Ergo Proxy. I kinda like to complain about it being bad but really, it's a relative thing.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
wow...! So many people came to the defence of Toradora!, can you say beloved? I whole heartedly agree with them Toradora! really is a terrific show tat surprised me, easily my 2nd favorite anime ever, 2nd only to Code Geass R2.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
Good, Brian. Soon you'll become a similar anime-hating, fansub-bashing wreck of a human that Zac was - a flaming source of endless trolling. Until next time!

maaya wrote:
Dahling wrote:

Because it's based on a manga. But of course that doesn`t change the fact that it's an awesome show.

The projects were started at the same time. So actually they're both original versions of the same concept; Saito and Ikuhara just had somewhat different views on the story.

dtm42 wrote:

I like the shows I watch to be watchable without the aid of mind-altering drugs, thankyou very much.

Dude, realism has been done to death. Patlabor is old.

There's a difference between "growing up" and "becoming an adult." I believe that if you can't enjoy kids' shows - well-done kid's shows - anymore you've lost something irreplaceable...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11