• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fractale BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, I remember now - I was watching a fansub because as a Canadian, I can't get access to Hulu.

The fansubs were rips of the official subs.

Not all of them were, unless the groups that said they did an original translation are lying (I can't see why they would do that when other series are credited to the proper source if applicable).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't remember if what I watched was a rip or an actual fansub.

It would be so much easier if Crunchyroll simply got everything. Someone get on that, mmmkay?
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The story deserves nowhere near the grade it received. Yes it had a lot of interesting elements but it never followed through with any of them. Lack of explanation, lack of development, lack of flow, lack of reason, etc... Oh and a rushed ending on top of it all.

Other than that though, I think the other factors are pretty accurate.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quote
I liked Fractale, too. I can't understand why so much hate against it. For a series that it is not "hot blooded guy and hot females around him" or "cute girls doing nothing"...
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I liked Fractale, too. I can't understand why so much hate against it. For a series that it is not "hot blooded guy and hot females around him" or "cute girls doing nothing"...

You know, there's a difference between hating and being a bit puzzled because it got a B+...i wouldn't have even bothered to comment if the rating had been B- or C (though IMO it's closer to a C-), but B+ is just a tad bit short of greatness and that is simply too good for this mess of a series.

That said, i don't mind people enjoying this series or even believing it's great, but one should be ble to express a different opinion without being called a hater, no?
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
kgw wrote:

You know, there's a difference between hating and being a bit puzzled because it got a B+...i wouldn't have even bothered to comment if the rating had been B- or C (though IMO it's closer to a C-), but B+ is just a tad bit short of greatness and that is simply too good for this mess of a series.

That said, i don't mind people enjoying this series or even believing it's great, but one should be ble to express a different opinion without being called a hater, no?

If your attitude prevailed, that would be fine. However, Fractale has been slammed up one side and down the next ever since it aired and was pretty soundly trashed by fans all over the place.

I personally did find it disappointing, in that it didn't live up to the potential that it initially suggested, and the one plot point that I already mentioned was one that I found very hard to not hate, but the level of rancor toward the show did seem out of proportion. As Fencedude5609 said:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Its the meta, honestly.

Fractale's really just yet another badly selling, highly disappointing noitaminA show, nothing special about that. However Yamakan had to run his mouth about it, leading to A) increased anticipation and B) a far more hilarious crashing and burning.

If Yamakan had kept his mouth shut, it still would suck, but no one would really care.

I think that a lot of the problem was Yamakan's spouting off about it. It rubbed people the wrong way.

Blood- wrote:
I agree. Anyone who rates a show a "masterpiece" that depends on the trope of having a teenager in a key position - like say a teenage mecha pilot who needs to "tune" the world - needs to have their head examined. Laughing

Looking at your list here on ANN, I notice you don't give out "Masterpiece" lightly, however, you have given one step below that to several shows that fit this mold fairly well, like Full Metal Panic!, Fullmetal Alchemist, Madoka, and Death Note. So people that rate those one higher than you need their heads examined? (One might put Gunslinger Girl, which you do rate as a masterpiece in this category, but they girls aren't necessarily "tuning" the world, just being used to fight people that want to harm it... Not that big of a difference...)

Tropes are not bad, in and of themselves. In fact, they are necessary shortcuts used to impart greater meaning than the time and word count of a scene has to offer. Poorly used tropes are a problem, but just "depending" on a trope as a major point in the plot does not automatically make something bad.

[EDIT: If you were being sarcastic, I didn't get it, but I did consider that you may have been, it just didn't seem like it...]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
@ zensunni - sorry, you misunderstood the real point of my comment and it is completely understandable that you did since you are not familiar with the backstory. I wasn't being serious in my comment. dtm42, who bizarrely thinks RahXephon is a masterpiece (when all it is is a flawed, pallid imitation of Evangelion that has some good stuff in it) had the gall to whine about the fact that a teenage girl was central to the Fractale system. My point is that anime does that kind of thing all the time - i.e. in RahXephon where *gasp!* a teenage mecha pilot has to tune the world - so he seems to be highly selective in how he views that trope. This sort of wild inconsistency in his views is pretty typical of him.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
I loved this series as it was simulcasting until the final episode. I have never scene a worse episode of anything in my life. it also made me realize how bad the previous episodes had been. I really like the world however this story was really poorly executed.

I am sorry but schizophrenia is not a good ending, it's a very weird cop out. then again the entire ending is extremely weird with crazy dreams that make zero sense, actions that run counter to everything the story has built up to. characters acting way out of characters, or suddenly revealing we should have been hatting them the entire time.

Fractale HAD something to say, then in the last episode the writers say screw that we take back what we said. the world is beautiful as it is.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the trope Phryne embodies, perhaps a little exposition is in order: The young priestess in Fractale is named Phryne because the name conjures up a subtextual resonance to the famous Phryne of Ancient Greece. The “original” Phryne was said to have been the quintessential muse for many artists’ depiction of absolute beauty, and her visage eventually developed into a paradigm that inspired countless copies and imitations throughout the centuries. Essentially, the name Phryne represents an “original” that spawned untold amounts of simulacra of beautiful girls.

Now, this is a quote from Otaku: Japan’s Database Animals by Hiroki Azuma that comments on Saber Marionette J:spoiler[“In other words, these female androids were in fact not merely substitutes for real women but were imitations made to exchange for the original . . . [The hero] is faced with key dilemma of having to choose between, on the one hand, the Marionettes who in fact only contain artificial personalities but who have been longtime companions and, on the other hand, someone said to possess the personality of a real human but who is a total stranger—between the imitation, which looks real, or the real thing, which has never been seen.]
spoiler[“This story line is a brilliant allegory not only of the general issue of communication but also of the otaku worldview. Close at hand are characters who are merely imaginary creations but who are sufficiently sexual and to whom one can relate adequately. On the other hand, the real-life female is a distant presence, as far removed as an orbiting satellite. Even if this real female could be reached, at that point feelings for the imaginary characters that have been built up over a long period would have to be sacrificed in exchange for her” (21-22).]

Do you understand how this quote relates to the garden scene in the last episode of Fractale?

I am not going to explicate on any spoilers, but when viewing Fractale it is vital to be conscious of certain parts having a subtextual resonance that correlates to Postmodernism, otaku culture, and Azuma’s theories regarding the two. Even the use of Down by the Salley Gardens as the ED has wider thematic implications: The “origin” of Down by the Salley Gardens by William Butler Yeats is said to have arose from an older Irish song that Yeats heard one day out in the country. Basically, the song’s essence symbolizes the process of how an “imitation” gains a singular existence separate from the “original”.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 can you please give me your interpretation of the ending of fractale. I give panels on the political message of eden of the east (and how it is related to agbans idea on biopolitics. so I am interested if fractale comes anywhere close to that, since that would be something nice to add if possible even as a 3 minute blurb.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

For me, it was the reveal that Phryne and all of her predecessors were spoiler[molested]. That was just over the top and unnecessarily squicky. My opinion of the series was neutral prior to that.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
I am not going to explicate on any spoilers, but when viewing Fractale it is vital to be conscious of certain parts having a subtextual resonance that correlates to Postmodernism, otaku culture, and Azuma’s theories regarding the two.

No, it's not vital. The core idea of Fractale is understandable without knowing much about postmodernism or Azuma. All you have to do is draw out comparisons with the current state of the world - the increased technologization and networking in particular and understand the concerns people have about those processes.

Knowing Azuma's philosophical work may give a better idea about how Azuma approached these problems and is likely to provide context for more fruitful interpretation, but this is far from vital.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Fractale HAD something to say, then in the last episode the writers say screw that we take back what we said. the world is beautiful as it is.

Oh, the show had major problems from episode five onwards. It wasn't just the last episode that sucked.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Oh, the show had major problems from episode five onwards. It wasn't just the last episode that sucked.

and the first thing of that messages says

"I loved this series as it was simulcasting until the final episode. I have never scene a worse episode of anything in my life. it also made me realize how bad the previous episodes had been. I really like the world however this story was really poorly executed."
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
What I meant was that the show was obviously in trouble even half-way through. Hindsight is 20/20, but that doesn't mean the audience is completely blind until the credits roll on the final episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5