• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:49 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Oh, so it’s just some “believe in me!” gig? Ignores the transitory, disposable, replaceable nature of pop idols(compare that to any religion’s idea of divinity)? Just replaces religion with pop music 1:1? Ok, now it sounds totally boring.

First of all, the only time she appears as a pop music idol in the show is in the OP.

Secondly, with regards to the idea of believing, her comparison to a pop music idol is used as a metaphor for exactly that: her existence relies on other people's belief. Although she has a very independent personality, the fact that she needs to rely on other people, means that the role used for comparison--the pop idol--must be transitory. In other words, her and her sister's (Zange) role can only be sustained by the support of others. Pop idols come and go precisely because of the nature you cite, so it is an apt comparison to her role as a Shinto deity that relies on her believers.

And yes, you definitely can make comparisons of what many people consider "divine" to ideas that are transitory, disposable, replaceable, except that you will not find it in the Abrahamic big three. (You might if you are willing to be called a heretic). There are ideas on other religions in which divinity is not inherently omnipotent, perfect, infallible, infinite, everlasting, or permanent. In fact, a central idea in Buddhism is the emphasis on impermanence. Angels, demons, gods, goddesses and deities in general can change, fade, or die, likewise with souls and spirits for example. This is because of its treatment of the supernatural as being part of the natural.

In any case, an academic discussion on religion is besides the whole point of the show. It's presenting to you a particular premise on the nature of certain deities in order to build up relationships amongst various characters throughout the show. It doesn't aim to give you a complex plot or to explore some philosophical question. Ultimately if you can't agree with idea of a not-so-divine divinity or think the presentation is somehow trivial, or simply hate the tropes involved, then you won't be changing your mind obviously.

Quote:
If you’re the kind of person that makes a lack of narrative daring profitable, I’d like to think I’d shout a rude word at you.

lol, hopefully it'll just stay at words..

There's plenty of room for everyone and I don't see how the creation and enjoyment of a show you consider without narrative affects you in any way. Lots of other titles are still being made that suites your preferences (yes, despite the popularity of these kinds of anime or others like K-On) so attacking it or its fans is unwarranted.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Key wrote:
Japanese just has no way to handle Shakespearean speech patterns

what do you mean by that? Japanese, just like English and any other language has had (and will have) many different forms throughout its history. And just as there is Early Modern English, there is also some form of Early Modern Japanese which will evoke the same feelings inside Japanese viewers as does Shakespearean speech?

There are also different translations of Romeo and Juliet in Japanese, some of them are modern, some of them not so much.

btw, which episodes of RxJ have been dubbed entirely in Shakespearean-style dialogue in Funimation's dub?

Now I just want to see someone do a Japanese dub in iambic pentameter. Though it would make for some very short lines Razz
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
maaya wrote:
what do you mean by that? Japanese, just like English and any other language has had (and will have) many different forms throughout its history. And just as there is Early Modern English, there is also some form of Early Modern Japanese which will evoke the same feelings inside Japanese viewers as does Shakespearean speech?

There are also different translations of Romeo and Juliet in Japanese, some of them are modern, some of them not so much.

btw, which episodes of RxJ have been dubbed entirely in Shakespearean-style dialogue in Funimation's dub?

Now I just want to see someone do a Japanese dub in iambic pentameter. Though it would make for some very short lines Razz

When I talk about "Shakespearean-style speech," I'm not referring to the period but the poetry of the style. Given how vastly differently Japanese is structured from English, I don't see how that could survive translation. There's the iambic pentameter, yes, but Shakespearean dialogue also has an elegance and grace rarely otherwise heard in English and uses many very outdated ways of phrasing things.

And for the person who asked, episode 2 is one of the 3-4 episodes in the first half of RxJ where the dub does the pure Shakespearean approach. It's quite an interesting effect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drtylr48

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
It would have been better if they drew Nagi wearing her Shrine Maiden Wardrobe when she appeared from the wooden statue Confused
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
When I talk about "Shakespearean-style speech," I'm not referring to the period but the poetry of the style. Given how vastly differently Japanese is structured from English, I don't see how that could survive translation.

That entirely depends on how talented the translator is. Any language is capable of expressing poetry, elegance and grace. Any person is not.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
While I like subs more normally, I would have liked a dub. But, I was happy with this release mostly because it was a higher quality release than the fansubs out.

Can't wait till I can play all the way without subs though. That would be nice. I can understand some parts, but since I'm still learning, I always end up turning subs back on.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
When I was at otakon yanamoto-san was at the aniplex booth and I spoke with him about both the dub and blu-ray and it was explained to me that he did not think that there was any US voice actress that could play Nagi and that is why there is a sub only.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
When I was at otakon yanamoto-san was at the aniplex booth and I spoke with him about both the dub and blu-ray and it was explained to me that he did not think that there was any US voice actress that could play Nagi and that is why there is a sub only.

ugh, yea, I hope that's a joke? If not, that's silly. As if Nagi's voice and character was anything special. Rolling Eyes If Rukia can be dubbed, so can Nagi.

Her way of talking maybe a bit, but if they already completely ignored it for the subtitles, they could and probably would have done the same for the dub.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
This needs Dub. No dub no buy.

Same with me.I aint going to do as well in the sales department without one.

though i would expect this if it was licensed by sub only companies Media Blasters and Nozumi (Right Stuff) but bandai of all people. What were they thinking? I just pray that this doesn't mean they'll do a 180 on hyb like media blasters end eventually ADV cause it'll mean dark times for the US anime industry if the fears come to past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
trandraskell wrote:

ugh, yea, I hope that's a joke? If not, that's silly. As if Nagi's voice and character was anything special. Rolling Eyes If Rukia can be dubbed, so can Nagi.

Her way of talking maybe a bit, but if they already completely ignored it for the subtitles, they could and probably would have done the same for the dub.

It is not joke. But I have the dvd already one of the 110 people that met yanamoto-san and That is what he said. But people if you don't like watching the anime in subtitles then don't buy it. I watch my anime in both English and Japanese. IF i don't like the dub the I watch the subs and same thing about the subs if i don't like then i will watch the english dubs if they are good. Don't turn this into another this only has subs damn bandai to hell. This show is a niche and it will not sell well here. so for us that will watch they got it out quick and I am happy for it
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
No one is nitpicking,but it's unfortunately starting to becoming a habit now so you cant be susprised of the nitpicking.A lot of hardcore otakus who like dubs cried out "bloody murder" when ADV released clannad with no dubs.

Same thing when dokuro chan was released and when Emma & Aria & Maria watches over us was released as well

.Dont believe me,then check out ADV's youtube page where lot of users wanting clannad to be dubbed,and the forum for it's review here.I have a felling it'll be the same result for bandai's youtube page as well where user will be commenting for kannagi must be dubbed.

[EDIT: jr904, there is absolutely no reason for bold-facing an entire post. Don't do it again. - Key]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
This show is a niche and it will not sell well here. so for us that will watch they got it out quick and I am happy for it

"it's niche and will not sell well" is quite different from "Nagi just can't be dubbed (because she's so supecialu!)".

I can understand the first one, but the second one is just silly and hopefully not the main reason they decided on sub-only -_-
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
trandraskell wrote:
This show is a niche and it will not sell well here. so for us that will watch they got it out quick and I am happy for it

"it's niche and will not sell well" is quite different from "Nagi just can't be dubbed (because she's so supecialu!)".

I can understand the first one, but the second one is just silly and hopefully not the main reason they decided on sub-only -_-

Well, from the transcript, this is what the producer said about how they selected their VAs:
Quote:

14:12:59 <bay> Q: Voice cast....actors who played Jin and Nagi who had to work together really well... talking about casting the roles...
14:14:10 <bay> S: Of course we did the auditions, and we contracted the voice talent agent, and had as many as 30 people for that role... so when Ms. Tomatsu.. she matched our image so we appointed her...
14:14:41 <bay> But the most important thing is that the author of the manga also had to like that voice, so thats the biggest point when we made a decision
14:14:51 <bay> And after that, we also listened to the sound director's opinion too
14:15:57 <bay> Y: So when we auditioned nagi's voice cast, we auditioned each of the 3 girls
14:16:32 <bay> nagi, tsugumi, zange, when we auditioed ms tomatsu, it sounded so real for Tsugumi since she had just graduated from high school
14:16:57 <bay> but at the same time, ms sawashiro, who did tsugumi's voice also matched nagi's voice...
14:17:54 <bay> So I was thinking so much, but I finally decided to cast them.... by look.... so he (1st person) felt that tomatsu looked like nagi and sawashiro looks like tsugumi...

So based upon their criteria and who they chose, he might be thinking about how it may be impossible to find an american who sounds and acts just like Haruka Tomatsu when answering that question.

But Yamakan is known to be very opinionated and is one of the few to speak his mind, so he really could have meant that he could not envision a US VA playing Nagi.

I seriously doubt that's the actual reason why Bandai didn't do a dub though.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quote
Dubs cost money - for the recording studio, for the actors, and for the technical crew. Given the current economic climate then unless you're certain you can recoup that money then you're not going to do a dubbed release.

I think we're going to see this more and more in future. Maybe if there's a new anime boom then dubs may become more commonplace, but as things stand it makes no sense to commit funding to expensive dubs for series which may not sell enough to pay for it.

The good side of this is that we can get our legitimate DVD releases sooner and cheaper than if we had to wait for a dub.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
The animation shows off best in the fully-animated music-video-styled opener but is otherwise unremarkable.

You're kidding me right? Unremarkable animation is the DVD only episode which was nowhere near the production values set during the series by A-1 Pictures/Animax/Sony. If you call episode 2's animation unremarkable you have no clue period. It's not like it has more character movement while talking in just one episode than some shows have during their entire run :roll: You know when you see stuff like 10 seconds pans while characters are talking become the norm and than something like Kannagi 02 is consider unremarkable... you start to see why so many studios get away with 10 second pans :roll: Why try and put forth effort and waste money and resources when next to no one will appreciate it!

People even speculated it was animated in 2's while it aired instead of 3's which is what every tv series in recent time aside from Mushishi has aired in. 2's btw means 12 frames per second where as 3's is 8 frames per second.

You disliked the rough look in Frontier, in this and in K-ON!, yet you go and rate the Art a B and the Animation a B minus, talk about hilarious. If you dislike the rough or as I call it sketchy animation style than the Art should be the one you put down ffs since the animation is fluid. The point of this style is to sacrifice the art to give more fluid animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3