• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's One Piece Simulcast Begins Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyokat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't working at all right after nine (not even stopping and starting, just getting a couple seconds in and stopping period), but by midnight central it played just fine. I tried watching some other episodes for comparison while I was waiting and they played just slowly enough to be bothersomely jerky but otherwise worked. Seems like they must have put the new episode on a different server from the others, which was clever.

I agree that the watermark was disproportionately large, and the timing on the subtitles was a bit off especially in the beginning. I also had a problem with the interface being a little too dark and small to see the buttons unless I already knew where they were and moused over them, but other than that it wasn't too bad at all and honestly better than I was expecting. I'll definitely be watching again next week.

I was surprised that there weren't any commercials. Wouldn't that be the easiest way to monetize this? Not saying I want them, but I wouldn't mind something in the style of Hulu.
RedZeshin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm really grateful to be able to enjoy this great show for free. I can only imagine how much work went into producing/creating the shows, and in all the negotiations and legal matters necessary to even allow for a simulcast. Finally, finally we can watch them online in a legal fashion with a clear conscience. And if they include advertising, then we could theoretically be supporting Funimation and Toei at the same time! I'm all praise for this awesome service they're providing to the fans, thanks Funi and Toei.

I for one will continue collecting the DVD's when I get the chance. Though I'm sure the series doesn't need it by now, I think the moral thing would be to support the work in some way. I think it's just awful how so many people can only whine about small things... We should really be grateful for getting anything at all and not taking all their hard work for granted, but I guess some people don't have any respect for an honest day's work and think they deserve everything on a silver platter (just to note, that watermark isn't obnoxious... it's the signature representing all the pride and effort behind making these great works, and should be honored, no offense but sometimes I wonder if people have a conscience at all about these things).

Funimation is doing great things with this, I've got mega-respect for their efforts and hope they can continue spreading the good word about One Piece! Very Happy
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Essedus wrote:
No offense, but it is a very valid thing to complain about, as long as the other free alternative does not have it.

The "other free alternative", as in fansubs?

The thing is, we are not entitled to this "other free alternative". It is illegal. The only reason they can get away with not having the watermark and having very high quality for free is because they are not legal.

Best be getting that false sense of entitlement out of your head. The watermark is not a valid complaint just because an illegal alternative does not have it. This is a legal way, and we should be very happy that we are getting it at all.

It's an incredibly small price to pay. There's no reason they should have to give us HD streams without watermarks. This is a company we're talking about here. This is the legal way of watching it.

They're giving it to us for free. We have no right to complain about such silly things. If and when they release a version of the episode to download or on DVD, then and only then can you complain.

However, I did notice the one place in the episode where the subtitles were really out of sync. They do need to fix that. I'm sure that'll get better as the Simulcast becomes more familiar so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
dan888

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Essedus wrote:
No offense, but it is a very valid thing to complain about, as long as the other free alternative does not have it.

The thing is, we are not entitled to this "other free alternative". It is illegal. The only reason they can get away with not having the watermark and having very high quality for free is because they are not legal.

Best be getting that false sense of entitlement out of your head. The watermark is not a valid complaint just because an illegal alternative does not have it. This is a legal way, and we should be very happy that we are getting it at all.

It's an incredibly small price to pay. There's no reason they should have to give us HD streams without watermarks. This is a company we're talking about here. This is the legal way of watching it.

They're giving it to us for free. We have no right to complain about such silly things. If and when they release a version of the episode to download or on DVD, then and only then can you complain.

However, I did notice the one place in the episode where the subtitles were really out of sync. They do need to fix that. I'm sure that'll get better as the Simulcast becomes more familiar so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Illegal yes?
A fact of life, yes as well.

One can say how it is illegal, it is piracy, and there is a sense of entitlement that people need to get rid of. In a perfect world, that is all true. However, in the real world, they all exist, and in the anime community illegal fansubs and rips do exist and people do watch them. Pretending that they don't exist won't do anybody any good, and the fact is if people aren't happy with the streams, they will go to the torrent. Sure this does not apply to all people, but this applies to the majority of fansub watchers, and Funi needs to convince people to watch the stream.

Is all of this morally correct? No, of course not. But this is how it is, and pretending that it should just be ignored won't do anybody any good. So looking at complaints comparing the two is something that is a legit complaint in the eyes of many who are used to fansubs.

I am not arguing that Funi could or should put out the exact thing as fansubs, as they can't. But ignoring complaints just because it is comparing the fansub vs the stream is not a good approach.
Essedus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, the world we live in...well...sucks in some ways. Yes, we are not entitled to the fansubs. That is a fact, and it is non-deniable. But it's also fact they they exist, and one can't just ignore them, or pretend they don't exist. Well, WE can, but Funimation can not afford such luxury. They know that they are competing with something that is free, accessible and, as of right now, better quality. Of course, nobody was expecting them to start streaming 0-day HD to every corner of the world, and what they have done so far is on the high end of decent. But if they are going to stay at this level, they will be buried. They must come to the point where their stream is of at least similar quality to the fansubs. There's nothing we can do to help them, except maybe watch their stream.
But honestly, in this particular case, I don't see how watching their stream helps. It has no commercials, so I don't get how they could make a little money out of this, so what do they gain? "They are doing it for the fans" sounds good, but we don't live in that kind of world.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
This is why I am ashamed to admit that I like anime. People who bitch about free things are frankly worse than Lolicons in my book. Honestly if I was a hardcore fan of One Piece I would be frankly embarassed to admit it, because I wouldn't want to be lumped in with the majority of the One Piece "fanbase"/
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the people who complain about the watermark, and the sync of the subs, are a bunch of ungrateful bastards. I for one have been wanting the R1 crowd to put One Piece like this since I started watching the fansubs, and personally I'm extremely grateful to Funi for not only bringing the fans LEGIT subs once, but giving us a second chance after some retard screwed it up the first time. Yes, I realize the sense of entitlement and the "stick it to the man" concept aren't going to go away, but I'm reminded of an old saying: Right is right, even if no one's doing it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone's doing it. I am trying to wean myself off of fansubs, and people like Funi and Crunchyroll are making it a lot easier for those of us with a conscience and the desire to support the people who bring us these great shows to do so. Every One Piece fan should be grateful for people like Funi for doing us this service, because they were completely within their rights to say, "You screwed us, so you can wait until the dubs get around to these episodes, and at 13 episodes a quarter at $40 a pop, it'll be a while."

Last edited by vashthekaizoku on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyokat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

No, the other free alternative as in YouTube, Hulu, CrunchyRoll, actually watching the TV... There's nothing wrong with complaining about a free product just because it's free. They could stand to improve, and we're making suggestions. Being to told to shut up because we didn't have to pay is patently ridiculous. Obviously Funi wants us to watch - why not let them know how we'd prefer to do it?

And is really is a big watermark. If you put that on TV, people would be complaining left and right. It doesn't come and go like most network logos do, either - it's there the whole time. What would they lose by making it smaller?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
What happened last time probably won't happen again. Among other good qualities Funimation has, I've noticed they learn from their mistakes. Also, I am pretty sure Toei is involed more so this time, so I am pretty certain all will go well this time.

Still, in my opinon, the best way to watch One Piece is uncut and unedited. Its definitely worth every cent and is very enjoyable.

But I do hope nothing occurs though.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Essedus wrote:

No offense, but it is a very valid thing to complain about, as long as the other free alternative does not have it. Other then that, and the random stopping on the player, it was fine, but I'll go for the better video quality. If they ever get HD streaming, I'll be there.

It could also be caused by cacheing issues on your machine, available bandwidth from your provider, etc. I was listening to a similar complaint earlier today from someone who was watching the stream at a public AP using their 6-year-old P4 lappy with 256MB RAM (with XP SP3). It was amusing...

Maybe your stuff is more current, maybe not, but depending on the routing path, current load, and other stuff, you could easily find yourself with the same problems as if Funi's server were overtaxed or improperly configured.

Point is that it's worth checking your logs and tracing the path of the stream since that's the usual culprit before moving on to problems with the server.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:

But ignoring complaints just because it is comparing the fansub vs the stream is not a good approach.

On the flip side, we're talking about a comparison of two different forms of distribution. Most fansubs today are transferred via BitTorrent, which makes is downright painful to control distribution using normal methods.

Technology still has a ways to go for Funi's distribution channel, but this is a good step forward. Still needs to have some kinks worked out, but it's worth recognizing it for what it is.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I have never really gotten into One Piece (other than fan fiction, I saw some of the 4kids version) but this is a good step for simulcasting. If they ended up legally subbing all the episodes before they started streaming, 390 something episodes would take a really long time.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Essedus wrote:
Sadly, the world we live in...well...sucks in some ways. Yes, we are not entitled to the fansubs. That is a fact, and it is non-deniable. But it's also fact they they exist, and one can't just ignore them, or pretend they don't exist. Well, WE can, but Funimation can not afford such luxury. They know that they are competing with something that is free, accessible and, as of right now, better quality. Of course, nobody was expecting them to start streaming 0-day HD to every corner of the world, and what they have done so far is on the high end of decent. But if they are going to stay at this level, they will be buried. They must come to the point where their stream is of at least similar quality to the fansubs. There's nothing we can do to help them, except maybe watch their stream.

Do you honestly believe that the Japanese companies would even LET them stream One Piece for free with incredibly high quality and no watermark?

I honestly don't think so. The fact is that streaming things legally for free has limitations. Otherwise what incentive is there to go and buy the DVD's? (I'd still have it, but I know a lot of others wouldn't.)

Fansubs have no water mark and have the best quality because they are not spread legally. There are no limitations.

I know that people aren't going to care and are going to continue to whine about these silly things and go back to fansubs, but still we have to realize that there are going to be limitations to legal and free streaming.

I seriously wish they had just done it this way from the start so fansubs for popular series wouldn't have become so widespread. But honestly, I did not see legal and free streaming coming at all. It was something that seemed pretty strange to do, allowing people to watch their products for free without paying a cent.

I guess it takes realizing that and how great this free streaming is to notice that these "limitations" aren't bad at all.

I mean a Simulcast an hour later from Japan? You'd never get that with fansubs. We should be very happy for this. The drawbacks are nothing major and really should not effect a big fan of the series much at all. The streaming quality is still very much watchable and if you're actually paying attention to the episode itself the watermark will not even catch your eyes.

Kyokat wrote:
Quote:

No, the other free alternative as in YouTube, Hulu, CrunchyRoll, actually watching the TV... There's nothing wrong with complaining about a free product just because it's free. They could stand to improve, and we're making suggestions. Being to told to shut up because we didn't have to pay is patently ridiculous. Obviously Funi wants us to watch - why not let them know how we'd prefer to do it?

Because as I said, there are limitations to free streaming. I mean 15 episodes of this anime costs $40. How in the world do you think they could give us that video quality of episodes for free?

It's not ridiculous at all. When the complaints are about bad subbing and issues with the video player itself they are a bit more valid. But complaining about the video quality and a watermark are ridiculous.

Plus, last I checked these other free alternatives... YouTube does not host One Piece legally. (unless FUNimation uploaded it recently.) CrunchyRoll does not host One Piece at all. Hulu has it yes, but it's the same thing. The watermark is still there. And TV? One Piece isn't on there.

Besides free online streaming at anytime of videos is an entirely different thing than TV.

Quote:
And is really is a big watermark. If you put that on TV, people would be complaining left and right. It doesn't come and go like most network logos do, either - it's there the whole time. What would they lose by making it smaller?

Um... why exactly should they? It's just a silly thing to complain about altogether.
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

Plus, last I checked these other free alternatives... YouTube does not host One Piece legally. (unless FUNimation uploaded it recently.) CrunchyRoll does not host One Piece at all. Hulu has it yes, but it's the same thing. The watermark is still there. And TV? One Piece isn't on there.

I think they may have just be generally referring to watching any anime for free. Before Funimation prevented me from watching it anyway because of where I live, I gave up on FMA: Brotherhood after the first episode.

Not because of the quality of the show, but because the experience of viewing it was so poor in comparison to other streaming sites. I found myself watching what Funi shows were on Joost or Chi's New Address on CR than struggle on with what Funimation were offering me.

With streaming video, the actual experience of viewing the show is more important than the show itself. Funi's streaming One Piece isn't just competing with fansubs of One Piece, it's competing with everything else that isn't One Piece, but is easier to watch.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

I seriously wish they had just done it this way from the start so fansubs for popular series wouldn't have become so widespread. But honestly, I did not see legal and free streaming coming at all. It was something that seemed pretty strange to do, allowing people to watch their products for free without paying a cent.

Uhm... fansubs were out loooong before the technology for streaming was. Actually before the Internet as you know it, you had groups doing fandubs (Arctic Anime comes to mind) and prior to 1997 they were doing it legally (at least in the US, though since they were a Canadian group, I don't know what legal standard they were held to at that time).

But what I think is very telling is that DomFortress and most of the Arctic Anime guys went from being such proponents of fansubbing, to some of it's biggest detractors based on what it's turned into.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4