• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Miami Guns DVD 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why Steven the Eunuch is acting like Ask John stole his prom date, but this is why you never see, say, Trish Ledoux posting "You big meanie!" after a bad review: it's like putting a "kick me!" sign on yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
I don't understand why Steven the Eunuch is acting like Ask John stole his prom date, but this is why you never see, say, Trish Ledoux posting "You big meanie!" after a bad review: it's like putting a "kick me!" sign on yourself.

I'm just taking full advantage of the situation to voice opinions I have not had a chance to before Smile
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:

We are disappointed to be accused of lacking in professionalism and accused of not living up to the standards of other distributors in our industry. However, if living up to the standards of our industry include utilizing our own employees as voice actors, excluding translation and liner notes, using poorly translated and incomplete translations, not using original Japanese DVD cover art or using censored Japanese DVD cover art, altering original music, editing footage, and using digital overlays, then AN Entertainment will prefer to establish its own standards instead of "living up" to the standards of other distributors.

Forgive me for saying this, but it's not the other practices that you do that bring into the question of professionalism. It's the attitude that has come across as being somewhat childish. As the old adage says, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I may be wrong, but your post comes off as a bit haughty and arrogant to me, as had your other post. Perhaps it's better to let another handle the PR work at times when you feel emotionally slighted?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:
A long way to go to live up to what or who? Show me another domestic anime company that puts as much effort into producing faithful, fan friendly DVD releases as we do. You want better titles from AN Entertainment? I think our titles are just fine, thank you, unless you're a brainwashed mainstream anime junkie that classifies quality on the basis of how many fanboys like something. Sure, we don't have a Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion (yet), but I think average fans don't realize exactly what "support the anime industry" really means.

Furthermore, I'm rather shocked by the statement that the English language cast has, "A long way to go before reaching the standards of today's top dubbing studios," considering that the Miami Guns dub was produced by Phoenix Post Sound (formerly known as Coastal Carolina). I believe it was this Anime News Network eulogy that praised Coastal as, "Arguably the best... dubbing studio in the United States." (Note that I am directly quoting from Anime News Network's article.)

AN Entertainment is proud of the effort and devotion we put into each and every one of our domestic DVD releases, and we will unhesitatingly compare our localizations and DVDs to any in the American industry. It's perfectly reasonable to not like Miami Guns, but we'd like to encourage a bit of rational consideration in respect to Miami Guns and our efforts on behalf of English speaking anime fans.

John Oppliger
AN Entertainment

Bah, I don't care what "crap" you guys put out. I love you and give you much respect for the sheer fact that AN put out Risky Safety. It's not a studio's failures that make or break them, it's their successes. Risky Safety, for the simple fact that no one else would have brought it out (although it's an awesome show), is a success for the Anime fan community. Seriously, all the other companies come out with a lot of just bad shows or hell, even pretty good shows but released in awful awful ways. I don't like dubs, don't like watching dubs, so I don't care about the dubs. As long as I have decent subtitles and flawless original audio, I have no qualms about a release. Besides, Miami Guns doesn't look like a title I would be interested in, so I didn't bother caring about it. Not only that, AN Entertainment is coming out with Hare Nochi Guu. If that doesn't reek "we're fans here" than I don't know what other show would. I'll see what happens in a few years, but for now, I will give AN Entertainment slack for coming out with a few stinkers. Doesn't matter to me. They have Risky Safety and Hare Guu. IMO, that's all a distribution company needs to be put "on the map."

Anyways, thanks for the Risky Safety and Hare Guu, I hope you continue putting out shows that might not look like they'd be commercial successes, but would have the fans yelping with joy.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
All this reminds me of the early days of Mixx. Remember Eye on Mixx? Remember the founder of Mixx making a fool of himself in his petulant public responses to criticism? And now we all love Tokyopop. Mostly. Yeah, give AN a few years to show its stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It's good to care. We *know* you're a fan. Virtually everyone in the industry worth his/her salt, from point A to Z, is, was, or has been an anime fan.

However, professionalism often means simply letting your product do the talking for you.

A public message board is a very poor venue to talk to your prospective customers as "a collective market". Forum posters do not post as "components of fandom", they post as individuals. In fact, the idea of a collective market is artificial, even in a specific niche -- each person has differing tastes, opinions, and feelings. Not only is going to buy the same thing.

At the same token, as Santos intended mostly to address the series rather than the company, but you chose to take it personally. Taking reviews personally is exceedingly bad form -- no distributor in their right mind would ever go to the Chicago Sun Times and tell them to muzzle Roger Ebert, and you would never see a producer go into, say, the Internet Movie Database, and tell the people there to sod off. Certainly in my experience in the corporate world, you *NEVER* face criticism by returning fire directly -- you need either a diplomatic response or an indirect one.

This is what Public Relations personnel are for.

Remember, too, that just as *you* are a fan, then so is the reviewer. And every single one of the people on this forum. You can't cater to *every* fan ... you simply have to realize that you aren't going to make everyone happy no matter how hard you try. But you also have to remember that you are a professional, and because of this status, you are obligated to act a little more mature than the fans (who have no such obligation). Don't get drawn into fights and flame wars -- it will only detract from the time and energy that you *should* be putting into your releases.

Also, and this is a big "also": obscurity is not automatically a synonym for quality.

That being said ...

*turning to the peanut gallery*

I agree with Aaron White here. (Great analogy.) Give AN some time. They'll take a few lumps - no company is perfect. But if they *are* committed to the programs they license, and committed to success, then sooner or later they'll have something in their library that you'll enjoy.

Bon jour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Taking reviews personally is exceedingly bad form -- no distributor in their right mind would ever go to the Chicago Sun Times and tell them to muzzle Roger Ebert, and you would never see a producer go into, say, the Internet Movie Database, and tell the people there to sod off.

And really, if you do, you should expect 'unproffesional' and 'undignified' responses. Hence Roger Ebert's classic response to someone who took his reviews personally: "I will one day be thin, but Vincent Gallo will always be the man that directed The Brown Bunny." But then again, despite his prudishness over Blue Velvet and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I've never expected dignity from the guy who wrote the screenplay to Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
So...
Judging from the posts, I guess I'm the only person on the ANN forum that actually enjoyed the series?

Guess I live up to my name then...

Attacking the series doesn't make a lot of sense. People think it's dumb? It's supposed to be! It's a gag based comedy that works well in Japanese, though less so in the dub. Of course, maybe awful Japanese word puns are an acquired taste...
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:

Attacking the series doesn't make a lot of sense. People think it's dumb? It's supposed to be!

No... it's supposed to be funny.. which it is not in the slightest.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
The jokes are deliberately the groan out loud stupid puns and sight gags. I don't understand why people expected so much of the series, when it was basically parodying other shows and cliches. Low brow humor was what they went for. I don't think AN made it out to be anything it wasn't based on the copy on the back of the boxes (unlike, say AE with their original treatment of KOR as a frenetic comedy).

Judging from the posts, people seem to have missed the point, and were expecting something much more than it was intended to be.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
I don't understand why people expected so much of the series, when it was basically parodying other shows and cliches. Low brow humor was what they went for. I don't think AN made it out to be anything it wasn't based on the copy on the back of the boxes.

"Slapstick comedy, risqué action, and outrageous parody ensue. The first Miami Guns DVD alone features side-splitting parodies of pop culture icons including Jean Reno's Leon: The Professional, Detective Conan, Speed Racer, Evangelion, Wacky Races, and a world famous extended homage to the hit anime series Initial D. Director Yoshitaka Koyama, the director behind the fan favorite Rune Soldier anime series, pulls out all the stops for Miami Guns, resulting in the craziest, most bizarre anime series to hit American shores since the blockbuster hit FLCL."

Now, all I expected it to be was funny, which is something a parody should be. However, I found none of the parodies to be funny in the slightest.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
That's a matter of opinion.

However, the level of outrage here is more appropriate for what Manga and ADV did to mistreat Eva.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
That's a matter of opinion.

Yes, you're right. Which is why it's entirely possible for people to outright dispise this series as much as merely dislike or not be entertained by it.

AnimeHeretic wrote:
However, the level of outrage here is more appropriate for what Manga and ADV did to mistreat Eva.

Hmm.. could you expound on that thought?
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
AnimeHeretic wrote:

Hmm.. could you expound on that thought?

Don't worry. It wasn't meant to be a smart-ass quip or anything. It's just that even if the majority of the people do hate the series, why this level of outrage over the fact? Lots of series come out that suck, and I have quite a few volume#1's in my collection where I never wanted to waste money on volume 2. Seems to me that being *justifiably* angry at a company requires something that's an abuse: Like dubtitles, or rewriting humor to be Americanized instead of explaining the joke, or using overlays-- or basically perverting what the original was.

IMO, That's what warrants fan outrage.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:

Don't worry. It wasn't meant to be a smart-ass quip or anything.

I didn't think it was. I seriously want to know how you think they mistreated Eva.
AnimeHeretic wrote:
Seems to me that being *justifiably* angry at a company requires something that's an abuse: Like dubtitles, or rewriting humor to be Americanized instead of explaining the joke, or using overlays-- or basically perverting what the original was.

I haven't seen any real "outrage" in this thread. I have seen people that disliked it, but nobody was bashing AN for ruining it, just pointing out that, in their opinion, the title was mediocre. Most of the anger or outrage, is over the rather unprofessional, childish posts by Ask_John.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4