• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka Seven - good night, sleep tight, young lovers -

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
Eureka Seven is one of my top five favorite shows, and I was really excited to get the chance to see it in the theater. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as the TV series, and i didn't. I still think its a really good movie though. I certainly didn't think there was anything wrong with the dialog either. I completely agree with the review.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else's theater have the problem where the brightness was turned WAY up, making it really difficult to see any exterior shots?
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
Did anyone else's theater have the problem where the brightness was turned WAY up, making it nearly impossible to see any exterior shots?

Mine did. Not so bad that i couldn't see exterior shots, but it did make the color seem washed out.

g*ni wrote:
In response to the same post Key quoted about the obedient housewife thing. The English dub oddly omits dialog indicating spoiler[Eureka had to give up her memories in order to save Renton.]

I don't think there was a need for the dialog. It was pretty clear what happened.
g*ni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote
Mobius Archer wrote:
I don't think there was a need for the dialog. It was pretty clear what happened.

If that were true I don't think there would be a need for Key's comment. Or do I have this wrong. Perhaps the comment was regarding something else?

BTW: My theatre had its digital projector out of focus with washed out colors. I did have a laugh when I realized they were playing this from a digital disc on a Windows machine.
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
g*ni wrote:
Mobius Archer wrote:

If that were true I don't think there would be a need for Key's comment. Or do I have this wrong. Perhaps the comment was regarding something else?

BTW: My theatre had its digital projector out of focus with washed out colors. I did have a laugh when I realized they were playing this from a digital disc on a Windows machine.

Sorry, i kind of messed up. I meant that the oddly omitted dialog was unnecessary, because it was clear what happened without it. I didn't mean for it to seem like i was referring to zetsuie's post.

My theater played the movie over a Dish Network DVR. I got a chuckle out of it, but i would probably have laughed out loud if did what yours did.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
zetsuie wrote:
and i hate how they changed eureka into a weak/moe girl whos destined to grow up to be an obedient house wife basically to appeal to otakus who don't realize women are more than things to be ogled
stupid sexist japanese attitudes

????

Assuming you're talking about the scenes at the end, you're not only overreacting but you're also kinda missing the entire point about what happened to bring that about. You're also making some huge assumptions (i.e. the "obedient house wife" comment) that aren't firmly supported by the movie's content.

And really, it isn't like American movies are any less guilty when it comes to things like that. Rolling Eyes
i didn't make it through the ending i gave up at the scene where eureka calls renton a baka 20 times
i almost expected her to throw in an onii-chan baka at that point

>___<
Shoelip

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Some of the scenes seemed really washed out for me as well. Some of them seemed fine. You sure it wasn't just the movie itself?

I really didn't like the movie. I knew it was going to be a new "mythos" or whatever they were calling it, but really, it felt like the only reason they were calling it Eureka Seven was to get away with reusing all the assets from the show that they did. It felt like there was more footage ripped from the show than there was original stuff. The dialogue really was cringe worthy at moments. Eureka seemed schizophrenic the way she went back and forth between insanely determined and cowering while screaming "Renton, save me!"

It didn't feel like a re imagining to me. It felt like someone started to make a movie, then realized they didn't really care and decided to instead edit together a bunch of scenes from the show, redubbing, and pasting characters into different scenes (or in one case pasting one character's head onto another's body) where necessary. The review mentioned that Charles, Ray, and Norb don't appear in the movie but that's not the whole truth. In fact, Norb and Sakuya both appear in the film from the neck down, but Sakuya's hair color is changed to black and Holland's head is placed on Norb's body to make them look like a younger Holland and Talho who for no apparent reason are wearing Norb and Sakuya's clothes in that particular scene. Then they cut to an exact scene from the show featuring the original characters, but now with Norland and Salho replacing Norb and Sakuya. Actually, most of the cameos are slightly altered versions of scenes from the show.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
i didn't make it through the ending i gave up at the scene where eureka calls renton a baka 20 times

>___<

I highly doubt the dub's theater airing used words like "baka" or "onii-chan". So your reasons for walking out are moot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g*ni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
zetsuie wrote:

>___<

I highly doubt the dub's theater airing used words like "baka" or "onii-chan". So your reasons for walking out are moot.

Actually, they couldn't do much about that one... it actually sounds that much worse in English when she calls him "idiot" about 3 times in a row-- that's taken directly from the Japanese dub where she says "baka" instead.

@zetsuie: OTOH, I don't know how you could make the housewife argument without watching the entire film. You missed half of it if you walked out at that point.

-----

BTW Somebody going to look into correcting the review. My source for EIZO over AZO is cited here: http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Anime/EurekaSeven.aspx
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I loved the movie just as much as I loved the original series. Yes, I was quite shocked by how different the movie was from the series, but I was still pleased nevertheless by it. The script, at times, was a bit off for me, but I still think overall the cast did well just like they did during the original series.

I still say Nirvash in the larval form looked like a rejected Pokemon. >.>

And yes, I do agree, the outtakes have to be on the DVD release; they were that hilarious. Anime hyper I actually hope there is more of them, and that what they showed was just a small portion just to fit the credits for the commentary.
ZelloBear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought the movie was done well enough, but it just lacked subtle humor, which was provided by the crew of the Gecko in the TV series. Everybody had reason to be so intense, but there has to be a balance. Other than than the relationship between Renton and Eureka was a little over the top.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Everytime Harland slapped Renten in the series, I was shouting "Go on boy! give'im another for me!"] He was that annoying. Glad to hear he's a bit more mature in the movie and one reason I just might give it a watch as well. The reason I didn't like the Escaflowne movie is because it ended just as lame as the series. Just pointless milking the cash cow. Rolling Eyes
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
~~EpiC~~ wrote:
In any case, did you just see the Sub of it Key or something? If you didn't, what do you have to say about the dialogue did you kind of overlook it? I usually agree with your reviews so this one really as me confused a bit.

No, the review is based on the same dubbed theatrical version that everyone else supposedly saw. (Note that there's no "sub" rating listed.) I am honestly dumbfounded by how much people are ragging on the dialog, so I guess I'll have to rent this and watch it again when it comes out on DVD. I actually thought the dialog was an improvement over the series, which I did at times think suffered from the exact complaints people are leveling against the movie's dialog. At least the movie didn't have the incessant platitudes about growing up and achieving what you want by your own hand.

Ugh, good lord no. It was so painfully obvious how much the staff missed Dai Sato's involvement on the script it's not even funny. I've become convinced over time, and especially after the movie, that Sato was the only one on the staff who really truly understood what it was that made what he was writing work, since quite frankly everything involving the Eureka franchise (the multiple manga series, the theoretically canon video games, the movie, etc.) EXCEPT for the TV anime have all been really quite terrible.

It's like the staff tried to mimic how Eureka seveN's storytelling worked but didn't actually understand how to do it and just tried to fake it. So yes, while there was a lot of "Eureka! Renton!" stuff in the series, it feels like that was pretty much their ENTIRE relationship in the movie. There certainly wasn't any build up at all or any falling in love period or anything we as the audience went through that would make OUR attachment to their attachment any greater. The movie simply began with "Renton and Eureka love each other since being little kids, just go with it" and never developed their relationship beyond that.

The narrative is also ridiculously chock full of red herrings and completely unimportant and irrelevant "plot twists" which make it seem kind of like they had two or three different plots planned for the movie but never did decide definitively which one worked, so they kind of threw them all in just in case. Things like Eureka's lifespan and the shrinking line in her eyes (that we'll never ever ever mention in the film again, dun dun dunnnnnn!).

It's just so miserably put together that I really don't even understand exactly why they even made the movie in the first place (other than to make money, which...well, even with all the recycled animation, it can't be THAT profitable, can it?).
matthewlow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the Eureka 7 series, especially the dynamic between Renton and Eureka, and the parallel relationships. The story, however, confused me to no end and required multiple rewatches from Adult Swim broadcast to DVD and reading Wikipedia. And I bet if I were to see it again, I'd learn more.

I went into the movie with not extremely high expectations due to knowing it was a reimagining of the series. I was hoping for a sequel because I felt that there needed to be an ending to sum things up from the series, but alas that was not the case.

I left the movie still confused what was going on, and will likely need to rewatch it on DVD. It did bother me that many of the characters had completely different personalities and villains were picked in unexpected places. It was hard to adapt many of the characters. Was the movie good? Sure. Was it great? I wouldn't go that far, mainly because I liked the series so much. Didn't like the ending, but it was passable.

But I also have to take into account that the first 15 minutes or so of the movie had NO SOUND at the theater I was at. Perhaps that had something to do with not knowing what was going on.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
The narrative is also ridiculously chock full of red herrings and completely unimportant and irrelevant "plot twists" which make it seem kind of like they had two or three different plots planned for the movie but never did decide definitively which one worked, so they kind of threw them all in just in case. Things like Eureka's lifespan and the shrinking line in her eyes (that we'll never ever ever mention in the film again, dun dun dunnnnnn!).

Then you weren't paying attention, because they did address it again, just much more subtly. spoiler[During the late scene where Anemone and Eureka are in the scene together, the camera gave close-ups of each girl's eyes in turn. The red lines in Anemone's were decidedly reduced compared to the ones in Eureka's eyes. At the end of the movie, when Eureka is in her long-haired form, they again show her eyes, but this time there are no red lines at all, suggesting that she is now fully human.] I am absolutely certain I am not misremembering on this, as I was specifically looking for that kind of attention to detail in both scenes and was pleased to see that it was there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5