• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Doin' a Daryl Roll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Justin, you're long posts really do put in words. Fansubs and professional subs having questionable quality control is what can make it hard to watch anime when the translations are off. I would rather watch a more accurate professional translation than a fansub that has a better translation than a crappy translational from a professional sub.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Zac, Justin, another informative and entertaining ANNCast, I look forward to these casts every week.

Oh, and given the credentials of Mr. Sevakis, unless someone else can produce a similar background of work and experience, I think I'll side with him on the fansubs as a whole being less accurate issue.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
on judging the quality of fansubs: I usually just judge the titles themselves, on font, size, readability, if it does that weird thing where if multiple people are talking the subs overlap, that sort of thing.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
Excellent podcast, very interesting/fun. Daryl Surat for the win! I really like Anime World Order (the Crystal Triangle 'review' was incredbly funny!) Also Cyber City Oedo 808 freaken owns! I agree with him, that's an epic anime right there. How can anyone hate that show? Great animation, great plot, and the characters are insane (and overly-top manly). Only CPM would release a title like that, one reason why they owned Wink . But oh God the terrible DVD covers they used ( 1, 2, 3 ) . The third volume is just Godly awful (why is the vampire thing there randomly in the corner lol?And FYI guy with pink clothing and knife does not a good cover make [although Benten does own and needed a DVD cover, shame his is the worst]).
eme13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
I am really pleased that neither Zac nor Justin tone themselves down. It would be infinitely less entertaining. And as for Zac sounding like a dick... well... dicks are usually the types of guys that make everything fun, but still know when to draw the line.

I have listened to every podcast, and enjoy every single one... maybe the intro song and "intermission" music could use work (I confess I am a total music snob though) but I love everything.

I was just wondering if maybe you guys would talk about a new wave of anime fans obsessed with graphic design. I have a handful of friends that are going to school for graphic design, and a couple who have a degree in it. Do you think they gravitate towards anime and then start to get into graphic design or that they get into graphic design and then realize anime and particularly forums will be a way to do lots of little projects?

Also, what are your opinions on the forum atmosphere? I know that both of you actively participate in the ANN forums and respond to the forum posts throughout the forum, but do you think that forums aren't really a place to be opinionated so much as to either try to agree or flame to the max? What are your best and worst forum experiences?

As a last note (I have wanted to ask questions since the first podcast, just now created an account~~procrastination is king) I was wondering if you would be able to help a friend and me clear up slice of life animes. I have seen a thread on the forums about it... but not really detailed. People have thrown out so many different opinions and variations on it, I was just hoping to get both of your guy's snarky and witty opinion on it.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Great Podcast!!

I love Daryl he's such a charismatic nerd. Its nice. Especially in the jaded mix of Justin and Zac. No offense and I love you for it but its true, you've said it yourself.

the only podcast I listen to is ANNCast anyway so I don't know if its too much. I probably wont listen to anyone else either now that I'm scared of how long Daryl's is that's that.

and... not sure why I'm writing @ 2:43am my time. I'm sure I'll have something better to say tomorrow.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote
Sirenlove wrote:
the only podcast I listen to is ANNCast anyway so I don't know if its too much. I probably wont listen to anyone else either now that I'm scared of how long Daryl's is that's that.

Well, the cool thing about MP3s is that you can skip around or pause them as needed. Smile

Today's announcement of another new Fist of the North Star videogame, this time a Dynasty Warriors edition for PS3 and Xbox 360, does little to convince me that "nobody in Japan cares about Fist of the North Star." When about two years ago roughly 3000 people show up in the freezing rain to attend a funeral for a fictional character who isn't even the main character, that tells me there's some sort of ongoing dedicated fanbase for the franchise. I mean, 3000 people is bigger than most anime conventions here in America!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Sirenlove wrote:

Well, the cool thing about MP3s is that you can skip around or pause them as needed. Smile

Today's announcement of another new Fist of the North Star videogame, this time a Dynasty Warriors edition for PS3 and Xbox 360, does little to convince me that "nobody in Japan cares about Fist of the North Star." When about two years ago roughly 3000 people show up in the freezing rain to attend a funeral for a fictional character who isn't even the main character, that tells me there's some sort of ongoing dedicated fanbase for the franchise. I mean, 3000 people is bigger than most anime conventions here in America!

Yeah, just like there's 2 Space Battleship Yamato projects currently in production. that Tetsujin 28 statue in Kobe, the awesomeness of the recently ended Shin Mazinger Z (We need a sequel Series/OVA/Movie NOW!!!!!) shows to me that love of classic anime isn't dead in Japan. Basically the only thing I'm following this season and just because I know how bad it is is Queen's Blade and nothing else is clicking with me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Sirenlove wrote:

lol trying to recruit me?
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
by the way I'm totally obsessed with Legends of the Dark King: A fist of the North Star Story right now.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Sirenlove wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
Sirenlove wrote:

lol trying to recruit me?

I hope you'll join us in supporting the Discotek release of FotNS, I know I'll be there if they do a decent release (and Discotek hasn't let me down yet).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Master Kashi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I am just going to repost what I posted over at AWO, not pretty.

Wow Daryl, way to make a horrible show awesome. Yeah, that podcast sucked, it's a good thing those guys write, cause they should stick to it. That one femme dude on the show was really an asshole. They cut you off before you could finish talking about Gekiranger. Also, WTF, not reading Joey Snackpants's email because he is a AWO listener, when half the emails he read he had to preempt with, this guys emails every week, or this guy again, losers. They just could not deal with the awesome game that Daryl can just wax poetic anytime he chooses.
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It's so refreshing to hear Daryl's enthusiasm being an older otaku. I myself will be 28 at the end of the year and hearing podcasts like ANNCast and AWO just reinforces why I am an otaku. Having Daryl's enthusiasm as a fan with Justin and Zac's cynicism as 'industry insiders makes a perfect show. Thank you for keeping me entertained.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Master Kashi wrote:
I am just going to repost what I posted over at AWO, not pretty.

Wow Daryl, way to make a horrible show awesome. Yeah, that podcast sucked, it's a good thing those guys write, cause they should stick to it. That one femme dude on the show was really an not-so-nice-person. They cut you off before you could finish talking about Gekiranger. Also, WTF, not reading Joey Snackpants's email because he is a AWO listener, when half the emails he read he had to preempt with, this guys emails every week, or this guy again, losers. They just could not deal with the awesome game that Daryl can just wax poetic anytime he chooses.

Sorry you didn't like the show. Daryl seems to understand what we were doing far better than you did. Please feel free to continue not listening to it.

We'll just keep doing what we're doing!
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
That actually made me interested in listening to it... good work Zac.
Reverse pshycology works just fine on me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5