• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Industry Launches Global Anti-Piracy Effort

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
It seems like many people are divorced from reality here...

Torrent operators vanishing overnight?

Are they going to take down usenet while they're at it?

Fighting piracy may be needed for certain legal reasons, to demonstrate that you're attempting to protect properties and what not in case you need to sue someone, but I find it incredibly difficult to imagine an outcome different from something like the fight to stop pirated movies, pirated music, pirated games, or even drugs.

I imagine they will see a nice budget line for "cost of piracy prevention" another one for "estimated revenue saved!!!" and an entire department arguing for how that estimate for revenue saved is not a completely worthless number when shit doesn't get better.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
nadir-seen-fire wrote:
Is it me, or does the list of companies and anime being targeted feel suspicious. With the exception of Sunrise's Gintama (which considering the series is probably a special exception) I'm not seeing any of the studios/anime that are involved in trying to enter the digital age and provide legal ways to view their content online with revenue going back to them.

Uh, Toei has distributed some of it's shows via CrunchyRoll and various DTO services. Sunrise has also been big on broadcasting it's shows online, with Gundam 00, Kurokami, and Code Geass both being on CR and Youtube. And with Ghibli...well, Ghibli only does theatrical movies, so it doesn't make as much sense to do that online.

RedSwirl wrote:
In my humble opinion the best way to stop digital piracy is to start offering legal digital alternatives. Hulu, Crunchyroll, Funimation's videos, and all the anime that's on digital stores like iTunes are a good start. It'd be nice if we started getting that stuff in HD though since fansubs are already there.

Cabbage Salesman: "Hey, everyone is stealing my cabbages!"
Web 2.0 Consultant: "I know how to fix that...start giving away your cabbages for free."
Cabbage Salesman: "BRILLIANT."
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Einhorn: Japan should never try to sell it's products outside of Japan. They know what anime fan want, but they just don't know how to give it to them. (Please see Bandai Visual (releases of Patlabor) and Toei (Air Master, Slam Dunk).
kdmccaskill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Navak wrote:
It seems like many people are divorced from reality here...

Torrent operators vanishing overnight?

Are they going to take down usenet while they're at it?

Fighting piracy may be needed for certain legal reasons, to demonstrate that you're attempting to protect properties and what not in case you need to sue someone, but I find it incredibly difficult to imagine an outcome different from something like the fight to stop pirated movies, pirated music, pirated games, or even drugs.

I imagine they will see a nice budget line for "cost of piracy prevention" another one for "estimated revenue saved!!!" and an entire department arguing for how that estimate for revenue saved is not a completely worthless number when shit doesn't get better.

torrents are dead, try stopping irc, no way

they should do what the film industry did, realize you can't stop illegal downloads

and put videos on 1080p blueray

so your not buying the anime but the quality of the anime

it would take forever to download an 8 gig mkv file

Last edited by kdmccaskill on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Cabbage Salesman: "Hey, everyone is stealing my cabbages!"
Web 2.0 Consultant: "I know how to fix that...start giving away your cabbages for free."
Cabbage Salesman: "BRILLIANT."

Except there's the whole ads thing. There's a reason Google makes money even considering the search engine and them owning youtube...

Those who can't see that you can make enough money to support a completely free medium just by using ads are blind. Sure, it might not be the oh so glorious profit margins that everyone has wet dreams about, but it's better than merely breaking even just because you don't want to provide a service to people outside of your little gated community.

Anyway, I would hate to live in Australia cause of the monitored internet there, which is a major problem imho. It prevents services such as CR and Hulu from being even more successful by limiting how much a person can do online within a given time frame, which makes them picky about what they want to do.

Edit: Also, I know that CR isn't available there, just using it as an example since there are American companies that are trying to push for monitored internet now...
CrossoverManiac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The anime studios would be better off hiring fansubbers and offer live streaming into the US. The strong arm approach backfired on them. Media Factory laid down the law on the fansub sites like AnimeSuki but when they did, most of their anime weren't picked up by the distributors in the US. Looks like history will repeat itself.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
KendoGirl wrote:
I pirate because a) Crunchyroll/Hulu etc don't stream outside the US, b) Australian streams are so limited it's ridiculous, plus it drops out so much at home I can't watch, c) the pricing for DVDs is still too high. Sure it's great they do packs instead of singles for most releases now but do I really need to pay $55 for 12 episodes of a show I'll watch once? In Japanese only because I don't like dubs? There's no resale value of DVDs here and my video stores don't have many anime DVDs for rent.

Y'know, if people didn't pirate, dvd prices would probably be lower, and legal streams would probably have a broader audience to get better advertising rates on. And better online/dvd sales records would entice more TV viewings. Less piracy would also mean better resale values for those dvd's.

But no, let's just contribute nothing because it's easier. That's lazy.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
nadir-seen-fire wrote:
Is it me, or does the list of companies and anime being targeted feel suspicious. With the exception of Sunrise's Gintama (which considering the series is probably a special exception) I'm not seeing any of the studios/anime that are involved in trying to enter the digital age and provide legal ways to view their content online with revenue going back to them.

Uh, Toei has distributed some of it's shows via CrunchyRoll and various DTO services. Sunrise has also been big on broadcasting it's shows online, with Gundam 00, Kurokami, and Code Geass both being on CR and Youtube. And with Ghibli...well, Ghibli only does theatrical movies, so it doesn't make as much sense to do that online.

Ok, I stand slightly corrected.
I can understand Ghibli, I have no problem with them on the list, movies are a different topic. But even though you note they are on Crunchyroll, taking an actual look at the lists still doesn't show much positive about TOEI or Sunrise at all. Both are only dropping a small selection (of their huge amount of published media) onto Crunchyroll after the series are already over. A lot of people (including myself) who would have watched Gundam 00 on CR have already finished the series, not like we're going to re-watch it now that Sunrise finally put it on Crunchyroll (heck, it's not even available to watch on CR yet; They're going to start streaming episode by episode later). Kurokami doesn't even have subtitles, they just idly tossed the dub Crunchyroll's way after it finished.
It's nice they are participating, but it doesn't look like either Sunrise or TOEI have bothered to try embracing Crunchyroll's Simulcasts, which is likely the most profitable part of CR.

Last edited by nadir-seen-fire on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrossoverManiac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
KendoGirl wrote:
I pirate because a) Crunchyroll/Hulu etc don't stream outside the US, b) Australian streams are so limited it's ridiculous, plus it drops out so much at home I can't watch, c) the pricing for DVDs is still too high. Sure it's great they do packs instead of singles for most releases now but do I really need to pay $55 for 12 episodes of a show I'll watch once? In Japanese only because I don't like dubs? There's no resale value of DVDs here and my video stores don't have many anime DVDs for rent.

Y'know, if people didn't pirate, dvd prices would probably be lower, and legal streams would probably have a broader audience to get better advertising rates on. And better online/dvd sales records would entice more TV viewings. Less piracy would also mean better resale values for those dvd's.

Call me cynical, but it would probably be even more expensive. I mean, it's their intellectual property, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.
Navak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
KendoGirl wrote:

Why would DVD prices be lower?
niiica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
It's not like I'm defending the fansubbers, but wouldn't it hurt sales if they start clearing the videos out (outside of China)?

I mean, a lot of people get attracted because they saw an anime on an anime-streaming site, so they end up buying the DVDs, etc. So if they make that disappear, what's going to happen?
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
agila61 wrote:
And that is on top of dropping sales in Japan, which only increases the number of productions that are in the break-even and modest profit categories in the first place.

An interesting thing I've noticed, that actually kinda ticks me off: on the fansubs that make it onto Youtube (I'm lookin' at you, Haruhi!), look at the stats for those videos. It shows a map of video popularity, and guess where the videos are most popular. Japan. If anything, I'd expect the Japanese to be at least buying things in their native language and for sale in their own cities, not going to crappy English fansubs to get free anime.

People just need to learn to be responsible.

You know, I was in disbelief after reading your post. So, I simply opened a second tab in my browser and brought up YouTube. I did a quick search for "Haruhi Suzumiya episode 1" and countless vids popped up. After loading the stats', much to my surprise, it's exactly as you said. Mst of the people watching the illegal version of the show are in JAPAN--even though ALL of the comments are in English. Shocked
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Navak wrote:
Paploo wrote:
KendoGirl wrote:

He's saying they'd be lower, because the companies wouldn't be suffering, such as they are now, and wouldn't have to charge so much to, well, stay in business.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
panzer.time wrote:

An interesting thing I've noticed, that actually kinda ticks me off: on the fansubs that make it onto Youtube (I'm lookin' at you, Haruhi!), look at the stats for those videos. It shows a map of video popularity, and guess where the videos are most popular. Japan. If anything, I'd expect the Japanese to be at least buying things in their native language and for sale in their own cities, not going to crappy English fansubs to get free anime.

Now that's a bit sad, maybe the companies should take a hint and lower the prices/put more episodes out per release as the US has learned to do?

YouTube actually isn't that evil either.
YouTube has ContentID: http://www.youtube.com/t/content_management
Companies can have their media digitally identified by YouTube. Such that if a user uploaded the media to YouTube (heck, theoretically it should be able to recognize video clips as part of AMVs) and YouTube can be told how to respond to that media automatically. Blocking is one option (but honestly that's just going to drive fan streams to other sites), getting statistics of the content is another, and the most sane option is there to, money can be made off the content.

That's probably one thing companies should catch onto. If they upload their own videos to YouTube (ideally they'd do crunchyroll too, personally I'm much more comfortable with Crunchyroll's video portal) they can also content id those videos and make money off them even if people are stupid enough to re-upload the same videos. They could probably make some money off the AMVs and fan parody like "Abridged" series as well.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Navak wrote:
Paploo wrote:
KendoGirl wrote:

Higher sales=lower prices. More units moved reduces the cost of duplication per disc, packaging, and helps pay for dub production, or if subonly makes it easier to repackage it dirt cheap [just look at the 19.99 boxsets for Loveless and Green Green, two titles which apparently sold well for MB given how many times they've been rereleased]

The lower the sales levels, the higher the costs involved, which means prices have to be adjusted to reflect that- that's why subtitled VHS usually retailed for 10 bucks more then dubbed ones [which had better retail penetration at the time], and why titles would get dubs cancelled [Silent Mobius TV on VHS] or never produced [a company would generally release a subbed tape first, and if sales warranted, do a dub version later. Sometimes, you'd get titles that just didn't move at all, and stayed subbed only]. Some TV titles like Fortune Quest got canned after 1 volume.

That's why manga publishers are increasing prices [$1 or $2 bucks more, or VIZ's Signature and other mature readers labes] or looking for more costeffective formats that might not match japanese editions [cheaper paper or omnibus editions]- as the manga bubble burst, it became necessary to change things to make things stay profitable ,and keep publishing titles. If a titles sales don't merit it, it WILL get cancelled nowadays, very different from 2003.

More DVD sales also means more titles licensed, whcih means more variety, which means more money in the hands of japanese publsihers, which in turn funds more production fo titles that appeal to the R1 market, versus say, stuff aimed at 40 year old Moe enthusiasts like Saki [who else cringed when Square Enix said moe titles like Saki and Bamboo Blade were primarly aimed at 30-40 year old Otaku? No knock against older fans, but I was surprised a little]

It's one of the many factors involved in why one boxset will cost $30 for 26 TV episodes, and one will cost $50 for 6 OVA episodes. Sales do count.

Why do you think comic shops offer a discount if you preorder? You get a better price because they get an ensured sale. Same with websites offering discounts, or how some stores have customer loyalty programs.

DEAR ANIME FANS- Please learn actual economics. NOT Underpants Gnome Economics. You don't just go from "Put out anime" directly to "Profit". There's hard work involed in the middle where you have a "????".

Also, better sales mean more shelf space, which means better sales for your local businesses, which means more jobs for you and your friends. More shelf space means anime is more available, and you can stop whining about how they don't have Tsubasa in stock, and that's why you have to read it online [though mind you, you could just special order it anyways]

Last edited by Paploo on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9