• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Shippūden is #5 Show Streamed on Hulu in 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
. As for Gintama, well, I only saw up to episode 20 or so, so I can't really say anything about it.

You better watch a hundred more episodes young man it's quite possibly the greatest shonen jump series ever
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
As useless as this thread is (being a my favorite anime is better than your favorite anime thread), I decided to chime in and make it... even more useless! Uselesser!

I like Naruto quite a bit, though I avoid most, if not all, of the filler. I also tend to fast-forward past flashbacks if I've seen it before. Thus, watching Naruto on DVD is not such a bad deal if you're handy with the remote (as all red-blooded Americans are). Razz

I initially really liked Bleach, more than Naruto. Ichigo is a pretty cool guy, and, yeah, Rukia is quite the cutie. But, really, homeboy mangaka needs to get the lead out: all of this filler and lack of plot advancement is like quicksand slowly drawing any enjoyment of the series to its death. I barely pay any attention to it anymore. Oh, and that "light-hearted" humor in the anime by those idiot hollows? Make's me want to claw my eyes out... or maybe just rip my ears off... or maybe both.

One Piece... uh. No. Doesn't do anything for me. Just seems vapid to me. It has this vibe that rubs me the wrong way. Unlike Case Closed, which I absolutely detest, I can see how people can like One Piece. I've never like pirates much, and the couple of episodes I saw were those censored ones... So, really, it just wasn't for me.

Overall, I'd say that I like Naruto the most of the three: its secondary characters are good and it seems more like a real, functional world than that of Bleach. Despite the fumbling of pacing sometimes by the anime (though not so much in the more recent episodes), Naruto holds my interest much better than Bleach. OTOH, when Bleach is good, it's very, very good; sadly, that doesn't happen often enough.

YMMV.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
egoist wrote:
. As for Gintama, well, I only saw up to episode 20 or so, so I can't really say anything about it.

You better watch a hundred more episodes young man it's quite possibly the greatest shonen jump series ever

gintama directly competes with one piece as pure entertainment series, and one piece many times more popular...

so I am not sure why gintama is even considered to be the greatest if there is one piece for the same audience (naturo is not competitor since this manga of different nature than pure entertainment projects like one piece and gintama)...
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Kirikiri23 wrote:
egoist wrote:

gintama directly competes with one piece as pure entertainment series, and one piece many times more popular...

so I am not sure why gintama is even considered to be the greatest if there is one piece for the same audience (naturo is not competitor since this manga of different nature than pure entertainment projects like one piece and gintama)...

uh no it's an hilarious comedy series with great animation
and episode structure like sgt frog but a bit better since the anime version of sgt is meant to be really kiddy friendly

Btw you also seem to be suggesting that bleach and naruto are really deep or something if so *FACEPALM!!*
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="MetatronM"]
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

On the flip side, Naruto's animation in general has gone in pretty much the exact opposite direction, where it had consistently great art and animation for the first 20 episodes or so and then had its quality decay with only rare blips where truly great animation pops up. Though to be fair, when Naruto's animation is good, it's often very very good.

This just isn't true at all. The first twenty episodes had great art and animation? Absolutely not--Naruto's animation has exponentially improved since the show first started. Watch Shippuden; many of the episodes have some of the best animation in Shonen anime that I've ever seen.

I don't understand why people are comparing Naruto and One Piece. The shows are completely different, as are their appeals. It's like comparing Arrested Development to Mad Men. Both are good shows in their own way, but that's pretty much all they have in common. One Piece is immensely entertaining, and in all honesty I prefer it to Naruto. However, all of these fans getting all bent out of shape because Naruto is more popular is ridiculous. It's not a competition.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

uh no it's an hilarious comedy series with great animation
and episode structure like sgt frog but a bit better since the anime version of sgt is meant to be really kiddy friendly

Btw you also seem to be suggesting that bleach and naruto are really deep or something if so *FACEPALM!!*

bleach is one of the lamest in concept and thought, it is out of consideration... (however the drawings are possibly the most elegant of all...)
naruto, of course, is deep since it is the only serious/dark/deadly manga of such outstanding popularity... no other manga of that kind ever reached such status yet...
no one requires of gintama or one piece any depth at all... there are no much philosophical concepts explored of real-time losses happening... those shows are pure entertainment and are perfect with that... naruto is just different and there is no sense in comparing those other two with naruto...
hoverwer gintama and one piece are on the same field and there could be comparisions...
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Yeah... But considering how Gintama is, you could probably get away with judging it from just 20 episodes.

It seems almost completely episodic from what I've seen with no flow to it at all. (It introduces new characters, but really from what I've seen it has no more of a story to it than a lot of western animation.)

To be honest, I only watch Gintama when I'm bored to death, and even then it tends to make me more bored to death because it really isn't all of that funny in the end... and the humor is all it has going for it from what I've seen.

It's just hard to watch when I know there isn't any exciting story to watch unfold... Plus as I said it just isn't all of that funny.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
egoist wrote:

Yeah... But considering how Gintama is, you could probably get away with judging it from just 20 episodes.

It seems almost completely episodic from what I've seen with no flow to it at all. (It introduces new characters, but really from what I've seen it has no more of a story to it than a lot of western animation.)

To be honest, I only watch Gintama when I'm bored to death, and even then it tends to make me more bored to death because it really isn't all of that funny in the end... and the humor is all it has going for it from what I've seen.

It's just hard to watch when I know there isn't any exciting story to watch unfold... Plus as I said it just isn't all of that funny.

so there is no real story in those 200 episodes of gintama?..

i mean this is the show that only resolves around "humor of the week" situational comedy (sitcom) and no grandiose story through those many episodes?..
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
And to the guy who said gintama isn't funny FU
-N
Fun it's a show that's fun

#1. I never said I was a guy.

#2. It's called an opinion. I don't mind if people enjoy Gintama, obviously it was made to entertain some people, I just don't find it all of that funny.

By the way what are these "serious arcs" you talk about?
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
2- oh well bad taste I guess

LOL.

Quote:
how many have you watched?

I've seen around 30 episodes. (which with something like Gintama I don't know how I made it that far.)

All I want to know is when one of these "serious" arcs starts.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Kirikiri23 wrote:
2- oh well bad taste I guess

LOL.

Quote:
how many have you watched?

I've seen around 30 episodes. (which with something like Gintama I don't know how I made it that far.)

All I want to know is when one of these "serious" arcs starts.

I think it's a little later on
they're cool kinda like kenshin
braves

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
We'll don't say nonsense about naruto having philosophical concepts just because a couple of people died in it

But Naruto does make some philosophical points.... I'm guessing you haven't payed attention to the recent arcs? However contrived you might think that they are, you can't deny that they're there.

In any case, I'm always amused by these threads in more ways than one. But mostly by die-hard One Piece fans that always seem to drop in to remind everybody that their franchise is better. While that certainly can be their opinion, I can't imagine why anybody would say that OP has better animated fights. Better handling of their budget? Sure. Better animation...? Not really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joystick1101

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
Ulinox wrote:
Pirates > Ninjas

Aliens >Samurais >Pirates > Ninjas

Robots >Aliens >Samurais >Pirates > Ninjas

actually Robot/Alien/Pirate/zombie/demon/mutant/Ninjas beat all
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:

We'll don't say nonsense about naruto having philosophical concepts just because a couple of people died in it

dont say ignorant nonsense... naruto's philosophical concepts are not directly related to deaths at all and are not coming only from the latest arcs...
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quote
I feel so bad for One Piece fans ... that 'Naruto' is becoming the successor to Dragon Ball in the United States, when it should rightfully be One Piece. I mean, Dragon Ball and One Piece are actually far more famous than Naruto is around the world.

I wish Naruto would just die, and go away. It's such a horrible filler-filled crappy anime. Teens defend it, though it's nearly as bad as DBZ got in terms of story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4