• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strike Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
Just to nitpick about the issue with the lack of accents: I think it's rather much more accurate to have foreign characters to speak perfectly good and colloquial English / Japanese / whatever language of your choice than it is to use "accents" when we're not supposed to hear accents. In my opinion, the only time we should hear accents is when the characters are trying to speak in a foreign language they are not fluent in, in-universe.

Else going by the same reasoning, every single anime with Japanese characters should have an English dub full of thick Engrish, and Gunslinger Girls would have an English dub that sounded like a bunch of Italian mobsters, etc.

Mistmanov wrote:
When ANN had the big Strike Witches themed advertisement, I felt uncomfortable just going here. The whole "let's focus on a 10 year old's panties" just feels so.. wrong. (and not 'wrong' in a 'kinky' way.. but just wrong as in plain disturbing).

...10? One girl is 13 and another is 14, later turning 14 and 15 respectively. The rest of the girls are 15, 16, 18, 19.

Last edited by configspace on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
Congrats on getting your review posted, Richard!

And now to watch the thread still devolve into a flame war anyways. Wink

As for the show itself, I didn't have any interest in seeing it. But I have been interested in seeing Hiroki Tanaka's work in the series ever since I saw this video (possible spoilers for Pretty Cure stuff, SW, OP movie 9 and some other stuff). Good job on FUNimation actually listing the animators on the credits for this release, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:
I've always wondered that myself. I've assumed that dub haters consider anything spoken by a japanese to be good voice acting even if its nonsensical gibberish.

Actually, some of us (and I'm less a dub-hater than a dubfectionist, I;ll admit) understand a lot of Japanese; I can list off the top of my head a bunch of performances or dubs that are pretty damn bad or horribly miscast. Unfortunately I can list a lot more in English. But it's effort and the pool of talent that affect dubs, not the language. You should also consider the subtitling (translation, unobtrusiveness, readability) when rating the sub version as well.

And re: accents, given how awkward some of the ones sounded in Baccano! (which is otherwise an excellent dub), I fear what an accented Hetalia dub would sound like. There'd be some dead-on accents, but plenty grating ones, especially with obscure accents. How they'd handle Chinese...they could get accused of racism.

I approve of bringing in somebody who can look past the preteen crotches shoved in your face to see whatever else lies behind it in this series. Unfortunately I am not one of those people. I've been having to minimize my browser whenever I'm on this site lately, I can't imagine sitting through the shame and embarrassment of watching this show. Yes, the action sounds awesome, as well as the WW2 humor, but did it really need the underage fan service? If you don't mind it, dig in, it sounds like it might be a fun show.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
You know, Strike Witches actually does have the layers of depth that are mentioned in the review. So props for pointing those things out.

The problem is I couldn't see past the not-panties. The show doesn't encourage you to in the least.

I only remember one part of the whole show with any bit of genuine fondness, and that was the flying at night part with ... I think it was Sanya? That part was well done, and a few of the fights were cool (when they weren't being bogged down by Miyafuji's incompetence) but overall Strike Witches just made me want to pour bleach on my brain. xD;

Cancer, etc. Rolling Eyes
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
I got the DVDs but haven't had a chance to bust the shrinkwrap yet (I chose to finish watching Code Geass first). I understand the no-pants argument for the plot, but wonder if they ever give a reason for no skirts (other than the cost to properly animate would skyrocket).

Congratulations on doing the review, but why are the words fanservice and dub italicized?

Last edited by Jedi Master on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
To say I disagree with rating Strike Witches A- is an understatement; I think its average rating in the Encylopedia is a lot more appropriate. The entire show strikes me as a vehicle for fanservice, and I don't just mean the lack of pants and crotch shots. It reminds me of the scene from Welcome to NHK where Satou and Kaoru are first designing the character for their eroge. They put as many fetishes into one character design as possible, to the point of absurdity. Strike Witches is like that, only not going as far, but you do have mecha-musume, the ears and tails that pop up, rather young looking character design (regardless of stated age), and of course the lack of pants.

Without the fanservice the show wouldn't have been made. And without it, it would be completely forgettable.
neggiimmaa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
It's a joke, a joke. Sheesh

And how hilarious it was HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Rolling Eyes

By the way I absolutely adored Strike Witches and have no idea on how the series could have gotten such a bad name, I mean sure there's fan service but so do a thousand other anime series, I mean this show doesn't go over the top... I say the real people who complain about this show are the same who have never even seen the show, which frankly makes me mad. Anyway I agree wholeheartedly, with the review, I was kinda nervous seeing the review here on ANN, I was hesitant to click it but I'm glad I did... this is a fair and honest review.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
To say I disagree with rating Strike Witches A- is an understatement; I think its average rating in the Encylopedia is a lot more appropriate. The entire show strikes me as a vehicle for fanservice, and I don't just mean the lack of pants and crotch shots. It reminds me of the scene from Welcome to NHK where Satou and Kaoru are first designing the character for their eroge. They put as many fetishes into one character design as possible, to the point of absurdity. Strike Witches is like that, only not going as far, but you do have mecha-musume, the ears and tails that pop up, rather young looking character design (regardless of stated age), and of course the lack of pants.

Without the fanservice the show wouldn't have been made. And without it, it would be completely forgettable.

I have to disagree with about the show being made without the fan service. If the show was made without the fanservice it would have still been a good show.

If you look past the fan service you have a good show regardless. So what if it is just a fanservice vehicle show it still is really good even if you disagree with the "questionable" fan service that the show has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
I understand the no-pants argument for the plot, but wonder if they ever give a reason for no skirts (other than the cost to properly animate would skyrocket).

There's never any 'argument' that the show gives about girls wearing no pants. But Sanya wears an actual skirt.

hissatsu01 wrote:

The girls would still be just as awesome with or without pants.

And on the subject of "fanservice" - Honestly, if you're still freaking out by the no-pants thing by end of episode 3, then you're getting too hung up on that aspect; and not actually watching the show. The SHOCK! value by that point is pretty low.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
And on the subject of "fanservice" - Honestly, if you're still freaking out by the no-pants thing by end of episode 3, then you're getting too hung up on that aspect; and not actually watching the show. The SHOCK! value by that point is pretty low.

I'm not buying that. For me it's not the fact that the characters walk around in their undercrackers, but the fact that it is shoved in the viewer's face constantly and explicitly. The 'camera angles' chosen when the girls are flying around often zoom into crotches or linger for far too long.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Mistmanov wrote:
When ANN had the big Strike Witches themed advertisement, I felt uncomfortable just going here. The whole "let's focus on a 10 year old's panties" just feels so.. wrong. (and not 'wrong' in a 'kinky' way.. but just wrong as in plain disturbing).
None of the characters in Strike Witches are 10. The youngest girl is Francesca Lucchini, who is 12. Granted 2 years isn't a big difference but then she's also not the major source of fanservice in the series. (That would probably be Shirley.)

And for the sake of clarity, the character displayed in ANN's Strike Witches skin is Yoshika Miyafuji who is 14 and turns 15 in show. 14-15 is a pretty common for anime teens in fanservice heavy series.

Jedi Master wrote:
Congratulations on doing the review, but why are the words fanservice and dub italicized?
You'd have to ask Zac as I removed all HTML coding that I'd done when I sent him the draft. He did mention that the system ANN uses automatically adds some coding though (for links and such) so maybe that's where it came from.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

hissatsu01 wrote:

The girls would still be just as awesome with or without pants.

So that's what anime fans have been reduced to: Hollywood-cliche shock value. Laughing
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
I almost never buy shows on the day of release, usually getting around to it a week or two later. When I found out this was out at a Best Buy 30 miles away a day early, I drove there to buy it rather than wait a day and order it. This is one of my favorite shows, and I'm glad FUNi didn't screw it up (didn't watch the dub, but I'm not the kinda person to let judge a dub, so I won't say anything of it anyway).
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
My interest in this show just budged from "Eww, icky, don't want" to "mildly interested".

Alrighty, so, watched the first two episodes (dubbed) on Funi's site.

Pros:

Awesome dub
Awesome animation
Awesome action scenes
Humorous

Cons:
As creepy as I assumed it would be

I MAY pick up the DVDs if I can get them for cheap, but I'd order it right now if the girls looked a few years older and/or wore pants.

Last edited by Unholy_Nny on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mistmanov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

And for the sake of clarity, the character displayed in ANN's Strike Witches skin is Yoshika Miyafuji who is 14 and turns 15 in show. 14-15 is a pretty common for anime teens in fanservice heavy series.

I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll shut up after this, but the characters are ofcourse just a bunch of lines filled in with color gradients, that don't really look like real people, and with a bit of made-up stories attached to them. My brain interprets said lines as 10-12 year olds (as far as I remember; I didn't study the image in extreme detail), someone else's brain may interpret them as older, and the backstory may claim the lines depict a 14 year old.

Both the "intention" of the author (I've heard of series featuring extremely old characters that still look like pre-teens?) and other people's interpretation don't really matter to me: I'm personally kinda disturbed by the imagery. And as I said before: I really don't mind if others aren't, or even like it, because I understand that everyone is wired differently. =)

Right. I'll shut up now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8