• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Heroman Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_-D-_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
But the real question about any potential future dub (and I'd be shocked if this one doesn't get dubbed and released in the States) is: will Stan Lee be voicing his lookalike? That guy (who, by my count, has now appeared in at least five episodes) just does not sound right in Japanese. . . Rolling Eyes

That would be cool. I know he did the voice work for his cameo appearance in the season 2 premiere of The Spectacular Spider-Man a year or two ago, so I would hope he'd want to do this too, and that he would be allowed and/or asked to do it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
The thing that bugs me about the show is Psy's motorized skateboard-thing. So, he's got crutches, and the purpose of crutches is to help keep your weight off your legs. So in order to have him be helpful and get around better, they give him his board. Um, wouldn't that put more strain on his leg than simply running to keep up?
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
To anyone who thinks that children's shows are by nature simplistic, dumb and ill-written and thus deserve to be held to a lower standard than older-skewing series, two words: Digimon Tamers.

But I suppose this is the sort of thing people need to be reminded of every now and then.

Fully agreed.

Stan Lee has a lookalike in Heroman? Just like in Ultimo, lulz.
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The thing that bugs me about the show is Psy's motorized skateboard-thing. So, he's got crutches, and the purpose of crutches is to help keep your weight off your legs. So in order to have him be helpful and get around better, they give him his board. Um, wouldn't that put more strain on his leg than simply running to keep up?

I imagine weird techno-skateboardiing is less impactful compared to running.

Personally Heroman doesn't seem to equal the sum of its parts. Can't find anything particularly wrong with it, yet it feels like there's something missing and I can't put my finger on it.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

How does he take a shower? Maybe it's one of those "it hurts when I do this" injuries.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Stan Lee has a lookalike in Heroman? Just like in Ultimo, lulz.

He had one in Striparella and the more recent live-action Hulk movie, too. He seems to like doing cameos.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Stan Lee cameos in nearly ever Marvel movie. Sometimes they're obvious but sometimes they're quick like in Iron Man 2.

I love how in Ultimo, he's like this grandmaster sage.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
I imagine weird techno-skateboardiing is less impactful compared to running.

But it's not a weird techno skateboard, it's a skateboard with a motor.

Joe Mello wrote:
How does he take a shower? Maybe it's one of those "it hurts when I do this" injuries.

Maybe he just takes baths, or he's got a stool to sit on. That's off-screen, anyway, so it doesn't interfere with my suspension of disbelief.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
To anyone who thinks that children's shows are by nature simplistic, dumb and ill-written and thus deserve to be held to a lower standard than older-skewing series, two words: Digimon Tamers.

But I suppose this is the sort of thing people need to be reminded of every now and then.

Fully agreed.

Hmm, agreed that the show is moving the way it was intended to be (well written, etc.), but up to now this story had nothing interesting, and the characters' whiny voices are really annoying sometimes. Though I do expect the story to come will be more interesting spoiler[(and that new character working under the president certainly is). Perhaps Independence Day style? First come the invaders; invaders who had a mother ship somewhere nearby.]
By the way, why did the review cover only 7 episodes, while the usual streaming reviews cover like 10? (And considering Heroman's length.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
Yeah, I think Joey is much more "girly" sounding than Naruto. I've never heard a 12 year old, even someone who hasn't gone through puberty, sound that high pitched. Even the kid with the highest pitched voice in the grade sounded like a guy. If anything, he had this whiny tinge to his voice.

Joey doesn't have to be Mr. Testosterone. Just make him sound like an ordinary 12 year old, which he was intended to be. An ordinary kid in a strange circumstance. Can't Lina's voice even be deeper than his at some points?

This has been my one real complaint about the series so far, and I agree with the comment about Lina's voice sometimes sounding deeper. I also agree that Spike Spencer would probably be a good fit here.

But the real question about any potential future dub (and I'd be shocked if this one doesn't get dubbed and released in the States) is: will Stan Lee be voicing his lookalike? That guy (who, by my count, has now appeared in at least five episodes) just does not sound right in Japanese. . . Rolling Eyes

That I might agree. However i'd have too see for myself when it comes to the states. though if you think he dont sound right here,I can't imagine your verdict if Ultimo gets a series cause he's definately gonna be as Dunstain.

Also I dont think Spike Spencer wouldn't do good as Joey. his take as Eva's shinji was definately unerving , though I got use to it. though I liked JYB's Renton and the younger Rossiou from Gurren Laggan , the ealier eps werent as good. and using any cast of any digimon series is a really bad idea.

For Joey's voice Malle Flannigan (Naruto) would probably be decent. Even Funi's Collen Cinkerbeard who voiced as OP's Mondey D Luffy would be decent.

I would have considerd young goku & young gohan from the ealier DB & DBZ eps but that may not be the case cause it was so long ago and age could have ruined it.

for my choices It's split with Yuri ( Ben 10), Greg Ayres (Negi) or probably Arron Dismuke (Alphone from the first FMA series) cause Yuri & Ayres are probably the only old VA that can do characters Joey's age preety well. And from what I watched on the OVA Arron would do fine as Joey and both are I believe their about the same age,so it would make sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also I don't think Spike Spencer wouldn't do good as Joey. his take as Eva's shinji was definately unerving , though I got use to it. though I liked JYB's Renton and the younger Rossiou from Gurren Laggan , the ealier eps werent as good. and using any cast of any digimon series is a really bad idea.

Yeah getting voices that sound right like Tai from Digimon is a bad idea, let's go after names instead. Since we hear them in every other anime. Let's go Clinkenbeard! Drink some cold water and put on your raspy boy voice again.
Pachitastic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Heroman get brought over here! And no worries about stuff being censored out (not really anyway).
I thought I was gonna watch Heroman for pure lulz but then in ep 3 I started fangirling and yeaaah.

I can't comment about dub acting though. I can't remember actor names for crap.

population_tire wrote:
And while we're at it, someone needs to make an Ultimo anime.

Oh my god yes. Do. Want. Serious do want.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Pachitastic wrote:

population_tire wrote:
And while we're at it, someone needs to make an Ultimo anime.

Oh my god yes. Do. Want. Serious do want.

Ultimo anime would be amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3