• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letter from the Editor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
I was worried it was going to take 24 four months, which would be eight years, but it appears that rather than being a clever way to disguise the fact that it would take eight years ... it was just an edit-o.

How does 24 months equate to 8 years? Typo? Wink
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
agila61 wrote:
I was worried it was going to take 24 four months, which would be eight years, but it appears that rather than being a clever way to disguise the fact that it would take eight years ... it was just an edit-o.

24 x 4 = 96
96/12 = 8
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
24 x 4 = 96
96/12 = 8

HAHA! I didn't even notice the "4" when reading it! Now I understand.
Very Happy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Sounds similar to what www.engadget.com did recently with alt.engadget.com
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/26/introducing-engadget-alt/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
birdienumnums

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

As for the videos, here's hoping that the world outside N-America will be recognized as a place where actual people live who enjoy anime.

Boy do I ever second this!

I love the site and I have had a yearly subscription for years now... but the videos are all a waste of time if you can barely watch anything from outside of North America.

When you first started hosting some videos, I checked out some of them (or tried to, anyway)... but now mostly I either ignore them or get annoyed since I can't actually watch anything.

Video on the site has a great potential, but if all you offer subscribers is frustration, then what's the point? With the exception of some of the previews, most videos won't play for anyone with an IP address outside of North America in my experience.

I know it's down to licensing, but it still sucks.

I suppose, putting a direct link to the previews on the actual encyclopedia page for that preview would be cool... yet also not really worth all the money and effort of an upgrade.

Seems like a lot of money being spent on the site just to lock it into one market. No matter how big that market is, ANN is not strictly a North American site.

Final verdict: thumbs down on more video content unless there's something cool coming that the "rest of the world" can actually participate in.
Mad
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
agila61 wrote:

In the original "24 four months" ... look in the change history.

here-and-faraway wrote:
... (No offense to "Associate Editor Gia Manry - I just am not familiar with your work yet.) ...

Gia (Twitter: @giapet ) was at AnimeVice, I'm sure she'll get lots of fans in this new gig.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
birdienumnums wrote:
Final verdict: thumbs down on more video content unless there's something cool coming that the "rest of the world" can actually participate in.
Mad

Use a proxy. That's what they're there for. And no, they're not illegal.
Masking an IP address may be the only way anyone outside of NA can view the videos until the industry wakes up and removes them.

Google for some free services out there.

Enjoy your videos. Smile
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
birdienumnums wrote:
Mad

Is that all of the rest of the word, most, some?

For example, Crunchyroll now gets over 3/4 of its simulcasts to North and South America and the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands, and Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland.

But almost nothing to Taiwan or ASEAN or to the Middle East or Southern, Central or Eastern Europe.

Is the fact that "much of the world" can participate get it over the line? Or does that fact that "much of the world" cannot knock it out?
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
So, that's what is up with Gia Manry. I was wondering why there was little mention of her at her previous anime website gig. This should be a nice fit here though, she's got a nice sense of humor and her writing style was fun to read at "the other place".

It's good to hear that ANN doesn't sit still and keeps trying to bring new content to the website and expand on what you already offer (video). It would be far too easy to rest on your laurels and keep publishing the same old week after week. The real effort is in trying to keep things new and fresh on any given website.

Good luck and keep up the good work! Very Happy
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
God help us all.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
God help us all.
Don't worry, _V_, we will still report on Evangelion news, at which time you can still post extremely enthused 3,000 word talkback responses. So you see, God's in his heaven, all's right with the world. Razz
JLightstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Good to know, best of luck to you all.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to these changes! Change for the better is always good Smile!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Though I care little for ANN's streamed video content —for reasons already summarised in this thread— I welcome the addition of more editorial articles. Hopefully, each of these will not appeal exclusively to fans of a particular series, and will thereby be interesting regardless of the titles or genres one favours.

If nothing else, these should provide plenty of conversational starting points for the forums. That which is "fun to read" should also be fun to discuss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
_V_ wrote:
God help us all.
Don't worry, _V_, we will still report on Evangelion news, at which time you can still post extremely enthused 3,000 word talkback responses. So you see, God's in his heaven, all's right with the world. Razz

oh...I'm just pulling your leg. I'm sorry if you were offended, but that's sort of a joke I have....similar to how on Futurama, at the *slightest* hint of danger or even positive news, Bender will shout out "ABANDON SHIP!" and start panicking...

mock panic about a seemingly small change that in no way warrants complete utter despair

to be honest, I actually consider hiring Gia to be a real coup...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4