• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Hosts Macross Frontier Composer Yoko Kanno

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isamu99

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I was there at the concert and it was amazing to say the least. The con is still going on but I am at home chillin. That is because there is absolutely nothing else to do today, except maybe attend the charity auctions and the closing ceremonies.

Had it not been for the concert as well as Mayn and Nakajima showing up as GoH, this would have been a fairly average AX this year. I give it like around 6 out of 10. Other than the concert you guys really didn't miss much, except for some ridiculously long lines.
Doggie Kruger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
NaviMap wrote:

She sang with Yoko Kanno playing on the piano several songs including "Aimo" "Voices" and another song (Sorry, I don't know any of the songs from the other Macross series, but most of the crowd sure did as they roared into applause upon hearing the first few notes Yoko Kanno played for each song)

The song you are forgetting is Ai oboete imasuka?. from the movie DYRL. This was one of greatest moments of my entire life, no kidding.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I didn't find out about this till after... or I'dve been crouching in a corner and rocking back and forth...

I could hope that somebody from AX who is really smart releases a concert DVD of this, or even a CD from the soundboard.

Though maybe it would be too hard to figure out the respective rights to it...

must've been grand.

And for all those still in the corner rocking... c'mon out, I'll give you a rainbow colored carrot cookie... ninjin love's you, yeah!
honoraria

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
how terrible, she should not be a surprise guest, she should be the number one guest! She is a fantastic musician!
Doggie Kruger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
there was a professional camera man, but I don't know if there's gonna be a dvd release or at least a picture so I can tell my friends, I only have the ticket to brag about.
uLTraCarL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
NaviMap wrote:
Megumi was introduced at the beginning of "What 'bout my star" and they sang the song together with Megumi dressed in a frilly blue and yellow stripe dress.

This dress made me almost fall out of my chair Cool
It certainly surprised me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
xstylus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This was a treat meant for fans of Nakajima and May'n. Had they announced Yoko ahead of time, the event hall would be filled with Yoko fans, not Nakajima/May'n fans.

I don't think Expo had any say in the matter on announcing her anyway, and I doubt she stayed long after the concert.
isamu99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
This was a treat meant for fans of Nakajima and May'n. Had they announced Yoko ahead of time, the event hall would be filled with Yoko fans, not Nakajima/May'n fans.

I don't think Expo had any say in the matter on announcing her anyway, and I doubt she stayed long after the concert.

That's the vibe I am getting as well.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Lucky Anime Expo-goers! I wonder if she's going to wear that hat she almost always wears.

She wasn't wearing it, but I thought about that! Didn't she wear that same hat the last time she was at AX, back in 99?

I was lucky enough to attend and get a ticket and get a great seat. As soon as I saw the piano, I thought...uh-oh!!!!

I did not have much of a voice after the show!

@uLTraCarL, I hope you found that picture online, because I saw a lot of people get thrown out for taking pictures. At least five people just in my section alone.

There were ushers strolling around the whole time searching the crowd, and one of them was six feet tall! I finally asked someone if he could move, because he was blocking my view of YK during "Ai Oboete Imasuka." (He did.)

NaviMap's description of the concert was spot-on. Anyone who says the crowd wasn't into it or wasn't loud is out of their minds. It was one of the best concerts I've ever seen in AX history.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
I went to Expo but I'm only half upset about missing Yoko Kanno since I had no desire to go to the May'n / Nakajima concert. But I sure hope AX brings back Yuki Kajiura someday. That would be a future AX I would not dare miss, since I missed her in 2003 even though I went to AX that year too. Is there still really a tendency that not many Yoko Kanno fans are also Yuki Kajiura fans?
gensao

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Looks like portions of the concert are available at AX Live. Specifically:

Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iof4JRim3Gg
Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLrl8B6ONI

Enjoy! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3