• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation's K-ON Team Airs Tamako Market Anime's 3rd Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I mean, is it a moral/principle thing? Are fansubs too much hassle to deal with for a show that is not high on the watch-list? Or is it just a simple 'abide by the law' thing? I really want to know.

I always just assumed its a thing people say since they don't want to tell people on a forum that they are illegally watching anime.. I have a tough time believing people would not watch a show they want to see simply because theres no legal stream. Its how people watched anime as it aired for a long time before the last couple years, after all. I know I sure as hell didn't wait years for a Little Busters anime this season just not not watch it because Warner Bros Japan doesn't like to do foreign streams.

If something has a legal stream, I'll always watch that though unless its delayed big time (like a week or more) or is just in 360p.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I always just assumed its a thing people say since they don't want to tell people on a forum that they are illegally watching anime.. I have a tough time believing people would not watch a show they want to see simply because theres no legal stream.

It's matter of choosing to properly support something you generally like as much as possible, that's all. If you don't immediately understand that, then just for once, try to understand it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I always just assumed its a thing people say since they don't want to tell people on a forum that they are illegally watching anime.. I have a tough time believing people would not watch a show they want to see simply because theres no legal stream.

It's matter of choosing to properly support something you generally like as much as possible, that's all. If you don't immediately understand that, then just for once, try to understand it.

How is totally ignoring an anime exists "Supporting it"? I know I'd much rather buy an anime that I've watched previously and liked instead of buying something I've never seen. I've never bought an anime blindly, so they've already lost a potential sale from me if I didn't watch fansubs before it was released.

Plus of course there are the series that never come over here... you'd be supporting it far more through watching the fansubs and buying merchandise than never watching it. I've done that for some series that haven't gotten localized releases, like Idolmaster, Dog Days and Pretty Cure.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
If there's no structure to legally view an anime as it airs, then there's really no way to support it at that time. Further on, if perchance one to assert that watching a fansub might be a net negative to disc sales, what's the difference if someone had watched it streaming, assuming that support network were available? There's no harm done, aside from trampling on arbitrary IP laws.

Guess this only applies to TV series.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Just checked the relationship chart in the official website awhile ago and I have a feeling that Tamako Market is in the same universe as K-On! because of that glasses girl who looks almost like one of Yui's classmates Fuuko. spoiler[Unfortunately, Fuuko and glasses girl have different names.]
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Are fansubs too much hassle to deal with for a show that is not high on the watch-list?

This is the reason in my case! There are sooooo many cool shows to watch each season and I don't have a lot of free time right now, so sometimes when it's a show in that "I wanna watch this, but I'm not DYING to see it" area, the extra time and trouble that comes with finding a fansub can be a deciding factor in whether I bother following it from week to week! Plus, if I have a huge list of stuff to watch but I know I can only manage half of it, saying "I'll only watch stuff that streams legally" can help to narrow the list down without a lot of agonizing and teeth-gnashing on my part!

Maybe one day when I'm less busy and have the time and energy to root through fansubs I'll be able to watch all the adorable KyoAni shows the day they come out! ;~;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3