• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ways Forward

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
I didn't know know there were people out there who actually hate Xenogears.

Some people think it ruined JRPGs forever.

I think those people are just having an Al Pacino moment. Laughing
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

That being said, what happened with XIV is an inexcusable mess. Geez, I hope they recover from that ordeal.

Recovery, in their case, is the real ordeal. As in, next to impossible.

They still haven't had their all important PS3 release so delaying that gives them some room to maneuver. For now the PC version is like a $50 beta test.

SE takes FFXIV extremely seriously, it's a numbered release so making it succeed the way FFXI did (say what you will, the game's been active nearly 9 years now) is currently their number 1 priority. You don't have the director of FFXII doing something as menial as game interface and web design unless you're serious.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

KH Coded: Seeing as I don't own a DS, this one won't be a concern for me (really, you could skip 358/2 Days and not really be missing much). I'm sure the message boards will be filled with questions about how to do this area and stupid challenge mode topics soon. People are still playing their Birth by Sleep copies whether Japanese (for the impatient seiyu-loving weeaboos who have to hack bad English into the game) or English (for those of us who actually waited for a localization), and I'm sure the Final Mix version is what will keep fans happy.

You're being awfully generous and forgiving with that statement.

Emerje wrote:

SE takes FFXIV extremely seriously, it's a numbered release so making it succeed the way FFXI did (say what you will, the game's been active nearly 9 years now) is currently their number 1 priority. You don't have the director of FFXII doing something as menial as game interface and web design unless you're serious.

I really don't think anyone...sane, or smart, has denied FFXI's success. While it may have seemed off-putting, as far as MMOs go, it's definitely high tier, sitting pretty high, but just below juggernauts like WoW and EverQuest. And that's both in quality and popularity. Ignotant Gamer #458 can say whatever the hell he wants, FFXI is a damn fine game.

And erm...interface maker? Anime hyper I dunno about you, but I happen to find the UI one of FF14's drawbacks. To say that its a clusterfuck, is to say chocolate clusters with peanuts...taste like peanuts. It's an understatement. It's missing the chocolate, in that comment.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
@Belvadeer. Etna is good for many things...dragging fans into the series, annoying the hell out of laharl, arguably being just a big a mascot for Disgaea as the Prinnies, how dare you call her useless.

I was never implying she was useless. Granted she is a hilarious character but her humor worked better for me in the non-Disgaea games she appeared in.

John Casey wrote:
You're being awfully generous and forgiving with that statement.

How so? Should I insult them more?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
FFXIII Versus actually looks pretty interesting though, and I think people will wind up liking it more than XIII and XIV despite it not looking very Final Fantasy.

Very true. It's a real shame Versus seems to have been put on the back burner. I was way more interested in it than in either XIII or XIV. That's where I don't get why they would try to push XIV out half finished either. If they wanted another game to follow up XIII relatively soon it would have made a whole lot more sense for it to be Versus.
MASTER54X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I was just talking to a friend about showing her Legend of Mana this weekend. Glad I'm not the only one who remembers it. and wants it playable on current consoles; with slight tweaks; and an up-rez treatment. and would like a sequel.

Sure it wasn't a proper sequel to Secret of Mana, and it's got a few shortcomings. But it grew on me; and it's quite good in its own right.
catbert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I first played Chantelise back when it was released; it's a lot of fun but lacks replay value once you complete all the levels. Now Gunners Heart, that's totally worth going through over and over again.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The CD released here in North America entitled Time & Space, a Tribute Album to Yasunori Mitsuda, featured a bunch of really well done mix of Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears tracks with guitars and the like, and it's one of my most played cds to this day - fantastic stuff to get my creative juices going on art projects. I look forward to more of his stuff making it out of 8-bit.

As to Square's current cheap projects, I'm surprised you have yet to mention their Facebook games. Yeah, they're pretty simple, and some are still in beta, but god dammit, I'm a Chocobo Breeder,and damn proud of it - or at least as much as you can be proud of a facebook app.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

How so? Should I insult them more?

Such an ugly way to put it!

Just say it how it is... Smile Sometimes, the truth is uglier than diarrhea. In this case, I'd rather spend a whole week stricken with diarrhea than play Re:coded again for another five minutes.

I literally resold that game on Amazon, like, a day and a half after I received my Play-Asia shipment.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Megaman Legends did get a few re-releases:

Each of those PSP releases recieved Capkore re-releases:

Before being bundled into this:

Capcom actually submitted this PSP release to SCEA, but were rejected on the grounds that both games were literally the PSone ISOs burned onto a UMD with no changes what so ever. They didn't want exact ports at retail. It's the same reason why Breath of Fire 3 got released in Europe in English, but wasn't released here.

In 2008 they even released a midquel:

Granted, it was for cellphones and was Japan-only. But the series hasn't really been dead in Japan, and the first two games certainly have been released enough given these games are just above ten years old at this point.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:42 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Just say it how it is... Smile Sometimes, the truth is uglier than diarrhea. In this case, I'd rather spend a whole week stricken with diarrhea than play Re:coded again for another five minutes.

I literally resold that game on Amazon, like, a day and a half after I received my Play-Asia shipment.

Whoa, that's way uglier than what I was going to say.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
@belvadeer: Oh I know, was just messing with you, TBH I kind of agree Etna really has more screentime in crossover & Spinoff games in the main series. But yea looking foward to P2.

Anywho, all of those pictures make me want to Play legends ...and make me want Legends 3 even more.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Not nearly as ugly as the fact that somebody bought it five minutes after I listed it.

I swear. Sometimes, I really do think that diehard Kingdom Hearts fantoids are too godamn stupid to even know when a series has gone straight to shit. And if you even make so much as a TINY criticism, you're automatically a troll. An evil creature who must be extinguished. It's depressing - I blame the fansites for false enthusiasm and zealotry. And the gaming news blog Siliconera. Ishaan Sahdev is a zealot fanboy of the most fail classification.

Then I had a cup of pudding, and I felt better. Yay!

Know what else is depressing? The fact that those Legends PSP ports never made it stateside. Like, what is wrong with Capcom? If they could release Fate/Unlimited Codes...why not that?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Not nearly as ugly as the fact that somebody bought it five minutes after I listed it.

I swear. Sometimes, I really do think that diehard Kingdom Hearts fantoids are too godamn stupid to even know when a series has gone straight to shit. And if you even make so much as a TINY criticism, you're automatically a troll. An evil creature who must be extinguished. It's depressing - I blame the fansites for false enthusiasm and zealotry. And the gaming news blog Siliconera. Ishaan Sahdev is a zealot fanboy of the most fail classification.

Then I had a cup of pudding, and I felt better. Yay!

Know what else is depressing? The fact that those Legends PSP ports never made it stateside. Like, what is wrong with Capcom? If they could release Fate/Unlimited Codes...why not that?

If I remember correctly it's because Sony of America REFUSES to release ports of old games unless they have a significant amount of new content. It's why the Suikoden 1+2 PSP port and the Breath of Fire 3 port have never been released over here.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so sure about that.

Look at FF Tactics or the Persona remake. Only about 25% of them have been changed or tweaked in content. Not exactly a significant change per say, but they apparently warranted releases.

What about the Power Store collection, or SF Alpha Max 3? There's also the Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble port.

I dunno, plenty of ports have been brought over without significant changes. I guess you could just chock this up to another case of Capcom being...well, Capcom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4