• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Flat Game Society

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
let's see here:

1. I don't give a crap about anything from Square's conference. Until Square actually gives the FF series over to someone with talent and skill, I will NOT give them any more of my attention.

2. I am ticked off at the lack of really good 2D games these days which is a shame because they age WAY better than a lot of 3D titles.

3. The 3DS also got its release announced. What was most interesting was a new trailer for Dead or Alive: Dimensions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpQRuIoL4Hs&feature=player_embedded

Hmmm, interesting
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Quote:
which is no longer tied to Final Fantasy XIII's shared universe

I don't get this - why does everyone keep saying this? Since yesterday, the fact that Type-0 is still Fabula Nova Crystallis has been beaten to death, and people still say that it isn't part of the whole Final Fantasy XIII thing.

...It is. ...Somebody get it right for once.

I've got it right. Fabula Nova Crystallis used to be "Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII." It is NOW "Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy." The XIII part of it has been dropped. So, yes, it IS still part of FNC. But FNC is no longer explicitly tied to XIII.

They also specifically said in the conference yesterday that the name change is due to their deciding that Agito didn't have enough to do with XIII.

(Which is probably just damage control, but whatever.)
charpkun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
feitian wrote:
Quote:
don't give Lightning some dipshit love interest just because cliché demands it. She was a refreshingly independent, if initially stiff, heroine in Final Fantasy XIII,

I don't know if this is out of context or not, but I don't think a female character would be less independent as a person just because they have a love interest or falls in love.

It depends on how its handled, I suppose, but considering what Square Enix has been doing lately its hard to tell.

I agree that it really depends on how it's handled. But considering most forms of commercial media these days, especially epics, demands a romantic hook somehow.

Still, I understand the sentiment. It's one of the reasons why I liked Tina/Terra of FF6j, since her love interest (if any) was left ambiguous.
charpkun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
my thoughts on 2d are that it's all relative.

first of all, i wanna define what i consider to be a 2d gaming environment. this is one where you cannot shift the camera angle, so one cannot see a background element behind a foreground element without moving the foreground element. and 3d is where this is the case.

2d and 3d graphics is a separate matter. 2d graphics are generally sprite based elements, a flat rendering that only changes with programmed animation or movement. 3d graphics are polygon based elements and rendered real-time in which the appearance can be affected by environmental effects.

in many ways, video gaming has always strived to be 3d, it was merely the technology that limited it to be the case. developers started with trying to make the gaming environment simulate 3d and the character/object sprites followed. this was especially apparent in the snes/genesis era where we start to see many games employing field depth, isometric views and different layers for game environments. especially true with fighting games on consoles and point-n-click adventure games on the pc. though i guess one can argue that the sprites simulated 3d first when they used 3-view (front, back, side) depending on character orientation.

on the other hand, until we have stereoscopic tvs and games associated with it, all 3d games thus far (sans virtual boy) were actually 2d. our brains just perceived it as such.

i do lament the great decline in sprite based games, but market forces have dictated that polygon based is the economical way forward. still, there is enough demand for the simplicity of an old school 2d game that there are plenty of examples that use the economy of a polygon based character with a simulated 2d environment to great success (think: little big planet, street fighter 4, and even star craft 2)

but i wouldn't count on 2d as a medium for gaming dying out completely. it seems very much alive in social network and mobile gaming, and succeeding at that (think farmville for the former and plants vs zombies and angry birds for the latter)
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
I was banking on the leaked character list to be false just to get peoples hopes up but alas, we will know the truth soon enough I suppose.

Just seems like a weird move on Capcom's part because...

Word had it that there were no plans to have any more Darkstalkers characters, they were bringing back a good number of favored characters (at least for the competitive, elitist pros) from Marvel vs Capcom 2, and word has been abound that Frank West of Dead Rising was a shoe-in.

So far, these speculations by many have been vindicated as Capcom seemingly caves in to so much demand by fans who really should have no business telling them how to do their job, last time they did, they went for broke and abandoned a potential project, leaving us with Capcom Fighting Evolution.

There's always DLC, but that is where they plan to make even more money I guess, so in the end, the joke will be on all of us. It'd be best if this game lasts for 10+ years or more.
Uthred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
It seems bizarre to suggest that Left 4 Dead "invented" the concept that in multiplayer one side plays the "hero's" and one side plays the "monsters". They also clearly didn't "invent" zombies so claiming that Dead Space 2 is somehow plagarising their ideas is just, as I said above, bizarre.

Nice to see God Eater mentioned, though its rather old news (apart from the name change).
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Looks like things at SNK Playmore aren't as grim as previously stated:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6286721.html
theinertbiscuit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Don't talk trash about the Physic Force movie. That's one of my most favorite movies to watch with friends. Where else can I get a film about feelings of longing between to physics set in the Midwest (with a scenic view of mountains in the distance no less), choppy animation and 30 second scenes of longing trying to appease the video game fans?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
All this talk of 2D gaming dying out or not being as prevalent is only making me think about Scott Pilgrim VS. The World: The Game, and how awesome it was. Big budget, retail 2D games may not be forthcoming as much as they used to, but they will definitely still be around for years to come, imho.
sfried

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
I just finished Ghost Trick. Excellent recommendation. And I agree, the dog is the best character in the game. If you remotely like Ace Attorney, you will definitely love Ghost Trick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3