• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Strange Faces of Oda Nobunaga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Fancy Lala and Creamy Mami got some votes, at least (I voted the latter). And while I'd have liked to continue my run of classic magical girl series, Black Rabbit's leporine qualities were stronger than Usagi's.

Yeah, Sengoku Collection was interesting. It ranged from excellent (the letter and kindergarten episodes) to some of the laziest and crappiest anime ever produced (the first episode and probably other's I'm thankfully forgetting).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Seconding everyone on the lack of Nobunaga from Basara and Otome, one my favorite Sengoku adaptation, the other my favorite Oda Nobunaga -should be easy to tell which one-

Glad to know Sheryl made it high on the poll, her concerts are always exhilarating, and I'd die to experience something like that live. And also glad Barnaby got added to the new poll, since I obviously voted for him Very Happy
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
@jymmy: So no bringing up the fishing episode?
CrownKlown wrote:
Hell even Vlad Tepes gets portrayls in a positively light ala Hellsing by proxy of dracula. Sure he is an anti villain, but still probably the most liked character int the show.
It probably helps that Dracula's sort of a hero to the Romanians and that various regimes throughout history have built him up to justify their own cruelty(the Communists even put him on a stamp).
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
He was widely recognised as last hospodar who stood up to both Ottoman Empire and Hungary and maintained peace in the Vallahia.

Most of evil deeds attributed to him were made up by Matthias Corvinus' chancellery after it turned that he won't be meek ally.- as long as he was useful, he was widely praised by the same people Prints describing his violent behaviour were medieval equivalent of tabloid tales. Ottoman chronicles that surely had a business in showing him in worst light didn't mention anything like this.

Remember that he lived in period when children instead of Disney movies used to to to public executions- the more gruesome, the better.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Vlad spent much of his life fighting the Ottomans who were invading his lands. Just like his father before him he devoted his live to protecting Christians and Christianity. Therefore I find it rather sad that future storytellers would make him first of the vampires, a race who despised (and were the immortal enemies of) Christianity. Way to piss all over his life's work, arseholes.

It's not the fault of Vlad Tepes that those living in later times would use his name and deeds to justify their own acts. Just like it wasn't the fault of Machiavelli that people would be inspired by a book (The Prince) which was actually satire aimed against the rulers and power-brokers of the day (especially the Medici).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Sengoku Basara's incarnation? Sad, but still this was a good list.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
^
Here you go, I'll add him to the list in a honorary way:

You can't see it because it's off-screen, but he's holding an upturned skull full of sake.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
@Polycell: I don't remember that one that clearly. Musn't have stood out to me.
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
scarletmoonwish wrote:
PinKunoichi wrote:
First no STARISH (Uta no Prince-Sama) or Bad Luck (Gravitation) for Idol Groups, and now no Barnaby? What gives ANN!?

I think ANN have something against Boybands, I saw no Λucifer from Kaikan Phrase either.

On a side note I choose Momiji, he deserved more love at the end of the manga.

Both of these. What I wouldn't give to see Λucifer in concert. They were even a real band.

Much as I love Barnaby Brooks, Jr., I also had to vote for Momiji. Even though he got the rawest deal, I think he'll be all right. I'd also have liked to have see King Kazuma of Summer Wars on the list (but still would voted for Momiji).
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
I prefer his video games incarnations. Sengoku Musou and Kessen III representations o Nobunaga were just perfect (and far from being evil). Also, Nobunaga isn't always depicted as a villian. It's just that such mangas doesn't have an anime (Ikusa no Kou or Sengoku Strays, for example)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3