• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom Explains Why Ace Attorney 5 is Download-Only in West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
NIS does nothing but put out niche titles. It took something so bleeping obscure like brs and the fact that the psp has passed its good days to finally force them to make something digital only. But just look at the games they put out and they are all niche.

Plus atlus is put out like 5 Trauma center games which are probably the closest thing that you could equate to Wright. Or how about the fact that pretty much every Prof. Layton game comes out. Or hell Dr. lauretec, Rhythm Thief.

And no this has nothing to do with stubborn. When I pay money for something, I pay money for SOMETHING. A digital download in my opinion is nothing. Lets see I cant recoup any money if the game is garbage as is my legal right under the second hand right of sale doctrine. What happens if my data get corrupt and its ten years later? They wont keep the server holding the game up forever. What am I left with then? Nothing.

And of course I am going to believe Capcom on the profitabilty. If they want to pull that crap out their ass, then give my official documented records of development cost of the software. Give me the costs of any advertising and distribution. Give me the records for the previous games so somebody can actually verify some of these assertions. Sure square enix bombed when something like tomb raider sold 4 million, and bioshock was profitable with only 3.7. The numbers and assertions by these companies are bogus at best, lack credibility at worse. I mean if they are really losing money fine, but I can't believe localization is cheaper especially on a text heavy game like wright than physical distribution.

They still felt the series profitable enough to put out 3 main titles and 2 spinoffs. Even if the spinoffs did not do as well, that is not reasonable enough to conclude a main line title would not do as well.

And going by vgchartz, none of the games in the series sold more than a few hundred thousand copies in the US, yet they continued to make them, so I cant see the games had that high bars to pass anyway. Even combining in the Japanese and worldwide sales none of the games boast particularly impressive numbers. Ie either they have been pushing a failing property from the get go, or they have pretty low standards to meet profitability.
Tukuyomi

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
While I'm not a huge fan of digital releases (especially device-bound ones), I'm still looking forward to buying this. I liked the first 3 games well, and I really hope the European release won't be long after the US.

I mean, it IS dumb that the downloads aren't account-bound, but then again, out of every Nintendo handheld or console my family ever owned, nothing EVER broke. There's a Gameboy, NES, GBA, DS Lite, Gamecube and Wii and they're all working fine. So this device-bound nonsense doesn't really bother me that much.

I'm just glad we're getting one more niche game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3