• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Witch Academia's Tokyo Event Cancelled Due to Low Ticket Sales

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I think it may be best to wait until LWA has more of a presence in Japan (released on media or broadcast airing) before inferring their reaction to it. Marketing matters, for example. Especially with the OVA being from a newish studio. It had a decent bit of viral marketing in English fandom... but I do not know how it handled in Japan. One OVA really can't compete with say a broadcast TV anime airing in a non-late slot, for example. By definition, anything with more airtime will be more well known. Same goes for adaptations of an existing work.

shitsux wrote:
Those who enjoy Trigger and Gainax and attend conventions are not hardcore. TTGL is hated on /a/ and /m/. Searches for "My Little Pony Little Witch Academia" brings up quite a few results of mlp/lwa crossover fandom. I have not heard of adventure time, so I cannot speak of that.

I assume these "hardcore" requirements have received authorization from the appropriate committee? People, generally speaking, don't fit neatly into tightly defined boxes. I'm not really sure how relevant any of your criteria are, to be honest...

Last edited by Draneor on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad. :[

I would have without a doubt purchased a ticket if I could've. I really enjoyed LWA and I would love to go to an event thing for it.
neshru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Oh well, there goes my hopes of Little Witch Academia ever becoming a 1-cour late night anime series.

I think you and other people in this thread are overreacting to this news.
It's a 400-people event we're talking about here, not some huge thing. Besides, people may have not been interested in the event simply because they don't know or care enough for the franchise right now. That doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy a whole series on TV.
Maybe once the TV series makes this franchise famous enough, then people will start attending the events.
bhl88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It probably failed because:
- 8/22 falls under Thursday (a normal day), and it's at 11 PM (where there will be no trains running by the end of the event Anime hyper). [Or I'm probably wrong with the translation]
- 8/23~8/25 is Animelo (so they also need to prepare and grab their stuff after and run there).
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote="minakichanBut the people backing LWA are hardcore Western otaku attending AX and who idolize Trigger and Gainax and yell about anime on 4chan, not the Adventure Time and My Little Pony casual crowd.[/quote]

I'd say your off the mark there, i've seen plenty of people who really enjoy LWA that are also AT & MLP fans. Casual, moderate, or hardcore, i'd say the OVA has aspects that can appeal to anyone who just has a genuine interest/enjoyment of animation.

Anywho, I agree holding the event on a Thursday might not have been the best idea.

But yeah, sad things didn't pan out for em, oh well, better luck next time.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
shitsux wrote:

Those who enjoy Trigger and Gainax and attend conventions are not hardcore. TTGL is hated on /a/ and /m/.

This is hilarious.

I was there man. I was a regular on both /a/ and /m/ when Gurren Lagann was airing. Both boards collectively lost their shit over every single episode.

They had pinned, THOUSAND POST threads about ever episode, on both boards. 90% of the memes that revolve around the show were created on those boards.

Saying /a/ and /m/ hate Gurren Lagann is pretty amazingly idiotic.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
shitsux wrote:
Why does Japan have such good taste? Only crazy foreigners seem to like LWA. It must be because of how LWA is similar to cartoons.

Thankfully people are speaking with their wallets on LWA, as Japan events are underfunded and English events are overfunded.

LWA fans please enjoy next ova, the third will come out when disney buys trigger and begins marketing it solely in western markets.

because according to a recent poll according to japan the best anime of the decade so far is kon....

are you kidding me? its cute but hardly deserving of the best. japanese tastes have slid downhill..... not that america has better stuff going for it but what happened to hardcore tittles like, berserk, gits, gundam? that shit isint mainstream because the neet otaku moe lovers are ruining anime.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Well that suck it got cancelled maybe every one wasted there green on LWA2 so thats why they cant go to it
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:

because according to a recent poll according to japan the best anime of the decade so far is kon....

I'd actually agree with K-On! being the best anime of the past decade (or at least on par with Minami-ke and a couple of other slice-of-life cute-girls-doing-cute-things shows I also love), but I still liked Little Witch Academia. Those witch girls were moé too, just in a more slapstick comedy way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
neshru wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
Oh well, there goes my hopes of Little Witch Academia ever becoming a 1-cour late night anime series.

I think you and other people in this thread are overreacting to this news.
It's a 400-people event we're talking about here, not some huge thing. Besides, people may have not been interested in the event simply because they don't know or care enough for the franchise right now. That doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy a whole series on TV.
Maybe once the TV series makes this franchise famous enough, then people will start attending the events.

I gotta agree with you here..
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
It's because it's Little Witch Academia, not Busty Witch Academia.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Proving yet again that hardcore Japanese fans have shit taste in anime.

Indeed. Good of you to clearly say its the HARDCORE fans. Not enough Moe and fanservice for those people surely.

RyanSaotome wrote:

I think a lot of them just see it as a tech demo for animation too... in the comments on sites like Yaraon and Akibablog, they talk about how its all style and no substance.

Substance: Moe, pandering and fanservice.

Yep, a substance issue for sure.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
You know, I get the feeling that a lot of people in this thread don't actually pay attention to what is and is not popular in Japan.

Instead, they just project whatever it is they dislike and assume its that.

Granted, this is much easier than actually learning about things, but it makes you look like a moron.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually really surprised that this hasn't picked up more than it has. I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the old TurboGrfx-16 (PC Engine) game Magical Chase, but when I saw Little Witch Academia it was the first thing that came to mind. For that matter, there is a remake of Sega's After Burner going around in Japan that features a witch flying on a broomstick instead of the customary jet fighter. It's called Master Burner, and has achieved some level of popularity that I thought would transition over to this property. It's unfortunate that I was wrong.
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm not going to dive into berating Japanese fans, but I am a little surprised that it seemingly has so little cachet over there. The girls are cute as Hell and it's a lot of fun. I'd expect that to appeal to more otaku than it evidently does.

Laughing There's lots of a "cute girls doing cute things" anime that flop every season in Japan. Throwing in some cute girls is no secret ingredient to success. Hiroyuki Imaishi just seems like a director that Japan doesn't care about given how little Japan cared about Panty and Stocking and now this and also Inferno Cop. Inferno Cop and Panty and Stocking were parodying American animation so it makes sense why Japan wouldn't care, but I guess if Japan wants cute witch anime they'll watch Tweeny Witches or Ojamajo Doremi Wink

minakichan wrote:
But the people backing LWA are hardcore Western otaku attending AX and who idolize Trigger and Gainax and yell about anime on 4chan, not the Adventure Time and My Little Pony casual crowd.

Where have you been looking? Laughing LWA fanbase is like Brony central and far too many of those bronies made crossover art with it LWA seems like one of those casual animes non-anime fans like like how Panty and Stocking was popular with people who dont watch anime. Id say its the opposite and most actual anime fans probably didn't care about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14