• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bizenghast GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VespaChick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
I think a creator should be able to say what people should get out of their work, occasionally books do have symbolism and the like which may go completely over the readers head if not pointed out.

A creator's job is to express their meaning through their work, not outside of it.
If symbolism goes over the heads of the audience then either the author is over-estimating the intelligence of their audience or the symbolism is too enigmatic to be deciphered, which would defeat the purpose of it being there in the first place.

Either way I'm not arguing that's the case here. I don't know, I haven't read the book in question.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
deathbringer wrote:
I think a creator should be able to say what people should get out of their work, occasionally books do have symbolism and the like which may go completely over the readers head if not pointed out.

Even if a few references go over people's heads, it doesn't explain a poor quality story with horrendous art.

Again, I don't actually own the book (yet. Now I have to buy it tomorrow.) but looking at her deviant art page, even the most sketchy artwork of hers still looks pretty good. And I know she can definitely write well, just look at the "Every Day Today" comics on her deviant art page.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
VespaChick wrote:
A creator's job is to express their meaning through their work, not outside of it.
If symbolism goes over the heads of the audience then either the author is over-estimating the intelligence of their audience or the symbolism is too enigmatic to be deciphered, which would defeat the purpose of it being there in the first place.

Go read Kafka and get back to me.
VespaChick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:

I have read Kafka, and his works, as well as the Existentialist movement itself, support my point well.

The point of Existentialist works weren't for the creators to tell you what to think, it was for them to share their ideas with the audience and allow the audience to take from those ideas what they chose to take from them.
(Although to be fair, I know some have argued Kafka an Absurdist before an Existentialist.)
Kafka never came out and said "The true meaning behind "The Metamorphosis" is... and everything else is wrong!"
That was pretty much the point of his works, to allow the reader to choose their own meaning from the story he gave them.

There was meaning there, but it was up to the audience to interpret it as they may.

...this is totally off topic at this point.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
VespaChick wrote:
deathbringer wrote:

Kafka never came out and said "The true meaning behind "The Metamorphosis" is... and everything else is wrong!"
That was pretty much the point of his works, to allow the reader to choose their own meaning from the story he gave them.

Exactly my point. Maybe I'm not that smart but I've read Kafka's books and didn't get the symbolism. And without the deeper symbolism, if you just take them at face value Kafka's books are pretty crappy. If someone were to explain to me what I should be getting out of his books maybe I'd enjoy them more.
VespaChick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:

Exactly my point. Maybe I'm not that smart but I've read Kafka's books and didn't get the symbolism. And without the deeper symbolism, if you just take them at face value Kafka's books are pretty crappy. If someone were to explain to me what I should be getting out of his books maybe I'd enjoy them more.

If someone explains what you "should" be getting from his work that's defeating the whole purpose. He never came out and said "This is what I mean, nothing else! " because he wanted people to take their own individual ideas from it.
Maybe you simply aren't the demographic that he was aiming his works at then.

Perhaps thats the case with this book too, as I said, I haven't read it.
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
There is a big difference with drawing 1 page of gorgeous art as opposed to 50 pages of gorgeous art.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
When I write a bad review of, say, Cheeky Angel by Hiroyuki Nishimori, Nishimori's friends and well-wishers on the internet don't rush to his aid

So, is there a previous or upcoming review by Zac for that manga? I don't remember seeing it reviewed in the past...
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Zac wrote:
When I write a bad review of, say, Cheeky Angel by Hiroyuki Nishimori, Nishimori's friends and well-wishers on the internet don't rush to his aid

So, is there a previous or upcoming review by Zac for that manga? I don't remember seeing it reviewed in the past...

weird. i thought there was a review for Cheeky Angel here taht appeared a while ago, but i couldn't find it in the reviews section.. soo i just assume it was another site... err. yeah
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I got the first volume of this today, and I quite enjoyed it. I like the art style, I really don't see what everyone's complaining about. It's got an interesting story. I can't wait for the next volume (Only about six months. Anime cry ).
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
I got the first volume of this today, and I quite enjoyed it. I like the art style, I really don't see what everyone's complaining about. It's got an interesting story. I can't wait for the next volume (Only about six months. Anime cry ).

The art style isn't the main complaint. The main complaint is that the action really sucks, the characters don't look consistant, and that the art just doesn't look good a lot of the time.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
deathbringer wrote:

The art style isn't the main complaint. The main complaint is that the action really sucks, the characters don't look consistant, and that the art just doesn't look good a lot of the time.

It's not an action book. It's a drama. It doesn't have to have alot of action. I think the art looks great. It's definitely more enjoyable then most of the american "manga" Tokyopop tries to pass off on us.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
I think the art looks great.

Then you have absolutely zero idea what good art is, on a basic technical level.

Most of the art in this book lacks any sense of proper perspective. She can't make her characters look the same from panel to panel.

Having taken many, many art classes, please don't tell me that "everything is subjective". Expertise does actually exist, and not all opinions are created equal.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
Treeloot wrote:
deathbringer wrote:

It's not an action book. It's a drama. It doesn't have to have alot of action. I think the art looks great. It's definitely more enjoyable then most of the american "manga" Tokyopop tries to pass off on us.

Your right, the action doesn't matter in a book like this. Unfortunatally the writing is so poor that I would take action scenes to the drama in the book (I read about half of it out of curiosity from this review and I have to say I agree 100%). Like many people have said, it's obvious that the artist is very talented, but unfortunatally most of the art is rushed. I'd be interested to see if this was to meet a deadline.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Having taken many, many art classes, please don't tell me that "everything is subjective". Expertise does actually exist, and not all opinions are created equal.

No, I don't have any idea what good art is on a basic technical level. I like to think of things as more then just the sum of their parts. I seriously doubt that she's unable to control how her characters look, it's most likely all part of her art style. But I know what I like. I likes what I likes, and I'll defend what I likes. Although I don't really believe that taking classes makes your opinion any more valid then mine is.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6