• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Macross One, Fans Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:57 am Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
...U.S. studio then overlaying the title card, calling the series something without the word "Macross" in the title, excising the word from the dub (if one were produced), and declining to include the name in the subtitles.

I'm imagining a dub where characters suddenly have coughing fits every time they're just about to say it. Very Happy
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
Finally, a discussion on the Animax Asia dub. I have seen most of their dubs and their either a hit or miss. My favorite Animax dubs they done and were very good are Tears To Tiara, Hayate the Combat Butler, Darker than Black, Card Captor Sakura, Inuyusha The Final Act and Nodame Cantabile.

Interestingly, the Nodame Cantabile dub was done by a Sony US studio who also did the Samurai X dub for SEA and the Blood+ dub. So we might have to ask Sony to release the Nodame Cantabile dub in the US.

Here's a clip of the english dub of Nodame Cantabile. Kate Higgins does a good job as Megumi.

And about getting Nodame Cantabile dub in DVD, here's some good news and bad news. The good news is you can buy the Nodame Cantabile dub on DVD. The bad news is some of are sold out.

So here's some places that i found that sell/sold the Nodame Cantabile dub in DVD.

http://www.play-asia.com/nodame-cantabile-6-disc-edition-completed-series-paOS-13-49-en-70-3u22.html

http://www.yesasia.com/us/search-anime/nodame-cantabile/0-0-0-bpt.48_bt.48_q.Nodame+Cantabile_ss.107-en/list.html#&l=1&bt=48&vn=33&s=1&bpt=48&ss=107&vm=32&sb=149&cid=32&q=Nodame+Cantabile&pl=5

http://www.yesasia.com/us/nodame-cantabile-dvd-vol-1-6-hong-kong-version/1022745909-0-0-0-en/info.html

http://www.buyoyo.com/buyoyo/ProductDisplay.do?prrfnbr=11367331&prtype=all
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
twinklestarex wrote:
Yu Ominae wrote:
I remember hearing Darker than Black's English dub in Animax Philippines. It sounded like the dub used by Funimation, except that one of the VAs who played a DGSE agent had a French accent while the Funi version doesn't have it.

Can anyone confirm that DTB has an Animax-made dub?

The one that Animax used is outsourced and dubbed in Hong Kong.The only and sole Funimation dub that Animax Asia used is the first Full Metal Alchemist.

Just noticed that same dubbing outfit churned out a very awful English dub version of Hayate The Combat Butler:Can't Take My Eyes Off You on Animax Asia. Laughing

I guess that confirms it. Strange that the two dubs sounds alike.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
That's a real bummer about the whole Macross situation. I would totally pony up the cash for a domestic release of DYRL and Macross Frontier. Oh well, maybe the Japanese Blu-Rays will magically go down in price... yeah, right.

As for why anything Gundam hasn't really be re-licensed yet, I personally have a feeling that Sunrise/Bandai Visual may end up deciding to just release it all themselves (like their Gundam UC Blu-Rays or the Aniplex style of release), and just use a US company as a distributor (like Right Stuf.)

Will that lead to an inflated price? Probably. But it's better than not getting these classic shows at all...
Meleemasta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
there's nothing legally preventing anyone here from importing things like the Macross Plus Blu-ray box set on their own, or preventing Bandai Visual from including the dub for the OVA version and subtitles for the movie version as they did.

Yep Smile

Nice set there. But isn't the english dub on the Macross Plus BD a new one, so therefore it isn't Bryan Cranston anymore?
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
The problem with eng dub, is in the US all the companies use the same 15-20 people. I mean I would not be shocked if between them, Johnny Young Bosch and Vic Mignoa were in every single English dub ever released. I mean anime, voice acting in particular is stuck in the 1920s and 30s, when there were only a handful of actors. Honestly with all due respect US has a population of 330 plus million of which at least half could probably pull off.

Isn't the same true of Japan too? They have a bigger dubbing pool that isn't divided by regions, but they reuse a lot of VAs too. With how prolific Megumi Hayashibara is, you'll find her in what feels like every anime. Ditto to a lot of the bigger VAs in Japan.

Guys like JYB and Vic Mignogna just happen to be good and the fans love them. They get constantly put in stuff because they're good at what they do. Like Hollywood constantly using big name actors, with Bruce Willis in seemingly every action movie that comes out these days.

It might be easier to miss with the Japanese voices because we don't speak their language, so the voices blend together. I don't even watch subs myself, but I do like to check cast lists on ANN, and I see a lot of the same VAs in a lot of Japanese dubs.

On the topic of the column: I'm a big E7 fan(check my icon here), so what was the answer this week about that basically saying? Just that BONES made E7 and Funimation hasn't rescued it yet? E7 AO is also BONES as far as I know, and Funimation got it. Ditto Soul Eater and many others. Is the BONES specifier just for license rescues and not for new acquisitions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem with eng dub, is in the US all the companies use the same 15-20 people. I mean I would not be shocked if between them, Johnny Young Bosch and Vic Mignoa were in every single English dub ever released. I mean anime, voice acting in particular is stuck in the 1920s and 30s, when there were only a handful of actors. Honestly with all due respect US has a population of 330 plus million of which at least half could probably pull off.

Same could be said for the Japanese casts(which is 100X more intrusive for the record, due to a larger pool of VAs, which means they have less excuse to not use newer VAs, since there's more of them), American animation VAs, Hollywood movies, British movies. But for some reason using the "same 15-20" in English dubs of Japanese cartoons is so bad. Also, you realize that voice acting is not a skill, but a talent, right? Not just anybody can do it. For once, can you talk with common sense? How dense are you? For one, it should be noted that most noobs can't keep up with the "beep, beep, beep" process in dubbing, 2. dubbing is not easy and only a handful of VAs can properly do it, 3. why have noobs over vets? Only an idiot would prefer unproven noobs to vets. 4. Anime dubbing doesn't pay well. Like $60 per session or something. Even in Japan, voice acting pays shit. 80% of all VAs in Japan work other jobs. VAing pays like 2000($20)-3000($30) yen for 1 role. I believe 15,000 yen for union VAs. 50,000 yen is for old timers like Masako Nozawa, Ryo Horikawa, Akira Kaimya, which is only $500 and no residuals. VAing for US cartoons is like $880+(union) average per episode, plus residuals. The Simpsons cast get $300,000 per episode(minus tax and agent fees). People do loads of anime to make ends meet and do the job they love.

Also

Quote:
The most prolific Japanese VAs. VAs above Monica Rial are bolded

474 Takehito Koyasu
378 Kenichi Ogata
369 Tesshô Genda
363 Shinichiro Miki
363 Toshiyuki Morikawa
332 Kappei Yamaguchi
324 Kikuko Inoue
318 Kazuhiko Inoue
317 Ryotaro Okiayu
311 Akira Ishida

310 Tomokazu Seki
309 Megumi Hayashibara
308 Daisuke Gouri
306 Norio Wakamoto
303 Nobuo Tobita
298 Tomomichi Nishimura
298 Wataru Takagi
296 Keiji Fujiwara
294 Ichirô Nagai
292 Yasunori Matsumoto
290 Shigeru Chiba
290 Akio Ohtsuka
289 Fumihiko Tachiki
287 Takeshi Aono
284 Mamiko Noto
283 Juurouta Kosugi
281 Banjou Ginga
273 Shozo Iizuka
271 Yuji Ueda
267 Naoki Tatsuta
264 Aya Hisakawa
264 Hiromi Tsuru
263 Toshihiko Seki
260 Jouji Yanami
259 Michiko Neya
257 Nobuyuki Hiyama
257 Kenyuu Horiuchi
256 Takahiro Sakurai
256 Bin Shimada
254 Katsuyuki Konishi
253 Sho Hayami
253 Masaharu Satou
253 Kaneto Shiozawa
252 Rie Kugimiya
251 Ayako Kawasumi
250 Hideyuki Tanaka
250 Yumi Touma
249 Cho
249 Kouichi Yamadera
247 Masako Katsuki[/quote]

Let this be a reminder to all hypocrites out there. Also noob, JYB isn't even in the English list. Not even close. Finally, if you're not big fan of dubs, why do you care? Why the hell do you care? The Japanese do not throw a hissy fit when Koichi Yamadera is in dubbed American animation(keep in mind that his roles in US cartoons probably outstrip any anime US dubbing artist) because he's awesome as Donkey, Mushu, Donald Duck, Stitch, Ralph, Beast, etc. Overusage=/=bad, if the person being overused is awesome. Overusage in media is common. This applies to all of you ANN posters. Things that are good do not deserved to be undermined by talentless noobs. This is why I bashed Cherami Leigh. She's a noob, who sucks at dubbing and doesn't deserve it. She can't act. She's pretty, sure, whatever, but compared to the vets, she sucks.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Zipang's dub singlehandedly caused me to swear off English dubs FOREVER.

I recall watching Zipang on DVD, but no recollection on the quality of its dub, which means it neither impressed or disappointed me.

If it caused you to swear off dubs forever, I can only think what would have resulted if you had heard some of the dubs I consider bad.
stowrag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Still crossing my fingers that Gundam will find it's way back to the west before too much time has passed. While just rereleases would be great, I think that, properly handled, someone like Funimation could do wonders for the brand.
I'm watching AGE now, and while it's not my favorite, ever since I heard about Funi's acquisitions, I can't help but think that a Funimation dub would work fantastic for the characters, and a digital distribution could really drum up interest in the brand.

Also, was Big O a Bones (or even a Bandai) title, or was it just unfortunately forgotten?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:

Also, was Big O a Bones (or even a Bandai) title, or was it just unfortunately forgotten?

Big O is Sunrise, and Sentai got that one
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Plus Adult Swim owns Big O season 2's tv rights forever due to their having a hand in the production of season 2. Ditto for Ghost in the Shell's series, according to the Toonami tumblr recently. But that's tv rights, a different beast from the licensing rights. Just some trivia I've heard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Meleemasta wrote:
Nice set there. But isn't the english dub on the Macross Plus BD a new one, so therefore it isn't Bryan Cranston anymore?

I'm pretty sure it's the same one as before.

Also, Bryan Cranston is AWFUL in the Macross Plus dub. In fact, pretty much everyone in that dub is awful, with the exception of Richard Epcar, and even he's not on top of his game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Wait, there's a dub of Card Captor Sakura that isn't Cardcaptors? I generally dislike dubs, and I already own the entire sub-only Geneon release, but now that I have a small child who can't read subtitles, I find myself wanting a tolerable dub version to watch with her (and Sailor Moon too, but that's a whole other issue).

Where would I buy the Animax version (which I assume is region 3)? I tried Yes Asia and Play-Asia, but got nothing. I want to be careful to avoid bootlegs.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
Wait, there's a dub of Card Captor Sakura that isn't Cardcaptors? I generally dislike dubs, and I already own the entire sub-only Geneon release, but now that I have a small child who can't read subtitles, I find myself wanting a tolerable dub version to watch with her (and Sailor Moon too, but that's a whole other issue).

Where would I buy the Animax version (which I assume is region 3)? I tried Yes Asia and Play-Asia, but got nothing. I want to be careful to avoid bootlegs.

Yes, there is a Card Captor Sakura dub thats good and stays close to the japanese script. Sadly, I don't think Animax Asia will release it on DVD. The only thing close i could think of is when Animax Asia airs the show again and you PVR it.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Is Zipang's dub truly as terrible as everyone says? I always hear it pointed out as a bad example, which makes me wonder if that's not an exaggeration. I'm being genuine in saying this, though, merely because I haven't heard it yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5