• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-02-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Meh, the pictures of the prizes stretch the column too wide for my screen, even if I scroll right to get the side menu off the edge.

Really? They're coded to just fall in place according to your screen size; I didn't force placement, so they should just fall atop one another at lower resolutions. Odd. I'll take a look at the code.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Besides, aside from all the other problems, why would studios want to animate something that's written in English?

It's been done. It's not common, but anime series or films have before been based on English (or other language) stories.

^ I stand corrected; however, it seems like most series of that nature are based on established/classic works of literature (Moby-Dick, Count of Monte Christo, Anne of Green Gables, Around the World in 80 Days, Sherlock Holmes, etc.) not random fan creations.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
True, they aren't random fan creations. Usually they're based on literature, or once in a while a popular book or the like, such as Howl's Moving Castle.

In other words, if you have a story you think would make a great anime/film/whatever adaptation, the first thing you need to do is actually write it, and write it well. If you publish a book and it's a big hit, well then you never know, but that ahrd work and efort comes first.

Alternatively, it's been quite popular lately for people to do webcomics of their stories, though the quality of storytelling in some of these is questionable. But the point is, if you really, really want to, there's ways to self-publish stuff.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime shops can be profitable (although I've never visited one that was making serious money; be prepared to exist on fairly small margins), but I've never seen one survive in a large shopping mall.

For all that's worth, AnimeFX has been doing quite fine for...the last five or so years, at Springfield Mall in the DC suburbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
-_- I think Zac can stop answering those "I have a brilliant idea for an anime!" questions now... seriously, there's like one every week.

Good advice to the businessman.

I really like this contest idea!! Much better than the captions idea... I can't wait to see the results!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
Love the contest... hate the prizes. -_- ah well, I may submit something anyway just for giggles.

Yeah those Trigun boxsets are a complete ripoff.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious, but I'm gonna assume the former. I never said the prizes are BAD, I don't LIKE them. Reason being, I don't LIKE any of the titles in question. I realize Trigun has been tremendously popular for several years, it just never did anything for me. Jing didn't grab me, I thought the art style (at least in the early volume(s), didn't continue with it) was too cluttered and chaotic. Steamboy I haven't seen, but I've never been a fan of AniManga, if it was the movie I'd at least be curious to watch it, altho I've heard it's disappointing. I haven't even heard of the other title, but the cover doesn't impress me. Anyway, I'm just saying...

Quote:
Meh, the pictures of the prizes stretch the column too wide for my screen, even if I scroll right to get the side menu off the edge.

Is it the prizes? Or is your browser getting HOSED by the ad(s) at the top. Mine keeps bouncing from "good as normal" to "annoyingly overwide" as I connect to links on ANN, I ASSUME it's due to the horrifically annoying box ads that sometimes pop up in the top right corner.
(edit: if it is the ads, they're annoying for what they are doing to my browser (Firefox) not in and of themselves)
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
The coughing up of blood (Hemoptysis) is one of the major symptoms of Tuberculosis (TB).

Those of us with access to advanced Western medicine probably haven't seen a case of TB, at least nothing that could be considered commonplace. However in the rest of the world, TB is a far more common reality of life.

Thus it would make sense, espically in period pieces to have the "sickly" character have "consumption" TB.

Think Doc Holiday in Tombstone for a Hollywood equlivalent...

I'm not sure why people are "correcting" me on this when I mention in the column that they might all be dying from consumption.

I've gotten like 3 emails "well actually it might be TB!", like they sent the letter before they finished reading the answer.

It MIGHT be TB all the time but it seems like a hell of a lot of anime characters die from it and it's rarely ever mentioned as actually being TB. Usually the person is just "sick".

Zac, I didn't mean to seem like I was "correcting" you or anything. I was just throwing that out for more information.

Certainly a lot of those type of characters ACT like they have TB. (Hyatt from Excel Saga, anyone?)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Certainly a lot of those type of characters ACT like they have TB. (Hyatt from Excel Saga, anyone?)

True, but the subtitles always describe her as being anemic for the most part. Confidentially though, I think she's most akin to Mr. Burns in that one Simpsons episode ages back where he was told he had every diease known to man, but that they were all "stuck in the doorway" so to speak and were too numerous to fit into his body. Except...in Hyatt's case they've long since broken through. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Anime shops can be profitable (although I've never visited one that was making serious money; be prepared to exist on fairly small margins), but I've never seen one survive in a large shopping mall.

For all that's worth, AnimeFX has been doing quite fine for...the last five or so years, at Springfield Mall in the DC suburbs.

Do you know what their profit margins are, though? I called around to some of the various anime stores around where I live (there are a ton of them in Southern California) and asked about it and the managers generally agreed that they do exist on fairly small margins. They do well enough to survive and that's basically it. Heck, in my research, I found that one of the biggest and oldest stores in the area, Manga House at the Irvine Spectrum, recently shut down (although this is probably due to the ever-skyrocketing rent at the Spectrum than slow sales).

I mean, I'd characterize the stores as "successful" in that they don't shut down after a year but I'm curious to know if anyone's ever gotten rich opening an anime shop.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Aw, come on, what about Angelic Layer? That was cute and perfectly good (enough)...

Well, though I've not seen Angelic Layer myself, it is entirely possible for someone on the decline to pop out a good idea or two. It's still entirely possible for CLAMP to churn out a solid hit in this day and age, just as (and it certainly happened) they had a miss or two in their pre-1997 halcyon days. I'm just saying that the overall body of work, the majority, has been lacking (not even saying they're bad per se, just not up to the standards set by their predecessors) when you compare post-'97 to pre-'97.

I don't think it's fair to say CLAMP is in decline so much as it is to say they've peaked. They still do good work for the most part, but it's just not AS good as their mid-to-late-90's stuff, when they were consistantly turning out classics like CCS, X and Rayearth. They still do some fine work, but it's just not as consistantly good.

Nothing wrong with that though-every artist has a period that stands out as the time when they did their best work, but that doesn't mean their other stuff can't be good too. Most animation critics agree that Walt Disney's best films were his early stuff (from Snow White-Fantasia) but that doesn't mean Lady and the Tramp isn't a great flick, too.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It MIGHT be TB all the time but it seems like a hell of a lot of anime characters die from it and it's rarely ever mentioned as actually being TB. Usually the person is just "sick".

I always thought it was some sort of cancer or viral mono or something. I mean, how many incurable diseases can the Japanese possibly have?

And how can something be a rip-off when you're not paying for it? Somebody explain that to me.

I wish I could go to Hammergirl, but it's still a ways away from Pittsburgh. However, I have seen pictures and it looked like it was about the size of a FYE (that's probably an exaggeration, though). Does anyone know how much into the black it is?

Man I wish it had a working website.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Do you know what their profit margins are, though? I called around to some of the various anime stores around where I live (there are a ton of them in Southern California) and asked about it and the managers generally agreed that they do exist on fairly small margins. They do well enough to survive and that's basically it. Heck, in my research, I found that one of the biggest and oldest stores in the area, Manga House at the Irvine Spectrum, recently shut down (although this is probably due to the ever-skyrocketing rent at the Spectrum than slow sales).

I mean, I'd characterize the stores as "successful" in that they don't shut down after a year but I'm curious to know if anyone's ever gotten rich opening an anime shop.

Probably the same number of people who get rich making comics.

I know the Rising Sun Creations store in San Diego used to be in the actual Mission Valley Mall, but they recently moved to the strip mall across the boulevard. Economics claims another victim.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Meh, CLAMP peaked around 1997 anyway. When they started two potentially amazing series (Legend of Chun Hyang & Clover), didn't finish them, and then started doing stuff like Legal Drug and Chobits? Yeah, they just ain't what they used to be. The glory days of Tokyo Babylon and X and Card Captor Sakura and Magic Knights Rayearth are pretty much done.

I don't know, I liked Chobits but found Clover to be pretty much unreadable. I liked CCS, but I wasn't terribly fond of Rayearth.

ACDragonMaster wrote:
So fanfiction can be useful, just a lot of it is pretty bad. >_>

My all time favorite fanfic's description starts off with, and I quote:"Hideki is dying of Leukemia". I haven't actually read it, I just can't get past that description. Laughing
I've read some Love Hina fanfics that were better then most published books I've read. Wish I could remember where I saw them.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Ironically, most manga-ka (especially shoujo ones) are not 4-year college educated; many of whom are either high school graduates or 2-year junior college / professional school graduates. Anime staffs, however, are different stories.

Speaking of CLAMP, I'm going to interview Ageha Ohkawa this Sunday. Any suggestion on questions?

Are Tsubasa and xxxholic finishing anytime soon?

Will they ever finish x/1999? How close are they?

Do they have any plans for new series?

To this date, the only CLAMP manga I own is Chobits. I'm interested in X/1999, but I don't want to start a series that will never end.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

I wish I could go to Hammergirl, but it's still a ways away from Pittsburgh. However, I have seen pictures and it looked like it was about the size of a FYE (that's probably an exaggeration, though). Does anyone know how much into the black it is?

Man I wish it had a working website.

The store actually medium sized like those Asian marketplaces. And yeah, I don't know what's the hold up for the website, but I'll wait until Luke says something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6