• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ga-Rei Zero DVD/Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
The first episode wasn't really that clever for being such a simple idea, but it was effective. I have a problem with it, though;spoiler[the characters who die are boring; dour hero, heroine with no character who's in love with him, annoying geek, a dude who's actually like 30 years old or something, a little girl techie, and a somewhat ominous chief. It's a real cliche "super action team" line-up (I was especially reminded of the forgettable Burn Up Excess) and a significant part of my emotional response once the massacre started was relief that I wasn't being asked to watch a whole series starring these people.]

Actually I think that may have been more or less intentional by the creators. I mean think about it, [spoiler]if they actually created characters you'd care about, it would piss you off twice as much that they died so quickly

Fronzel wrote:
Never read it? Don't. It's awful. It's the perfect stereotype of an bland action manga; boring protagonist who gets thrown into violent circumstances and is constantly comically out of his depth but is somehow special and able to overcome all obstacles and he sees the heroine's panties in the first chapter.

Even the brief flashbacks to the period elaborated on in Zero are different and lack the latter's quality. spoiler[They all but say that Yomi was only pretending to be Kagura's friend and deliberately turned into an evil magical warrior just because she's a bad person.]

I have no idea how this was tapped to be animated in any form and find it curious that so little of the (dreadful) substance of the original was used. Why bother? Unless someone was dared to make something good out of it, like growing roses from manure.

The fact does bad things to the ending, though. spoiler[Despite the fact that this story is a tragedy, for some reason some characters tell us that there's some kind of hope for Kagura.]

Wow, that's too bad because I've wanted to read that for some time myself. That bit you mentioned about Yomi, if true, is especially troubling. But who knows, maybe the guys who did the Ga-rei Zero anime might be able to adapt the manga someday. But in a more Zero-esque style. I know I'd watch that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Seeing that they practicly used two names from Azumanga Daioh as the main protagonists.

That's an extremely weird thing to say. Yomi and Kagura are just Japanese girl's names.

I don't nessassary think so. While it can be just a conincidence, Yomi and Kagura are not very common female given names in Japan. I can think of 12 of the most common girl given names in Japan:

Noriko
Natsume
Sakura
Satomi
Ayane
Katsumi
Reiko
Sayura
Rika
Miyuki
Megumi
Yuri

I think its more than just sheer conincidence that the two main characters names are Kagura and Yomi.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Great show, HORRIBLE packaging.

I don't mind the G1 sized cases/art box, but the lack of effort that went into the Blu-ray is a disappointment. There is not one BD logo anywhere on the box. The set was clearly intended for DVD, but they slapped the combo together last minute. Boo on FUNimation. Great show though...

The reason the combo pack were in DVD cases was so retailers in brick and mortar stores would put this in the anime DVD section instead of getting "lost" in the shuffle of blu-rays.

As I said, I don't mind the G1's. It's the lack of the logo that peevs me. I've got a couple of those Bandai Visual combo sets from a while back. They have logos for both formats on the packaging. FUNimation should have taken their example.

Megiddo wrote:
Eh? I love the packaging myself. But I guess people will complain about anything. The reversible cover art is gorgeous in particular ^^

And contain a HUGE spoiler on the second wrap. Even with the minor imperfections, I still didn't send it back (the crappy upscale almost did though) This is totally an experimental release. I'm far from one of those AoD snobs that cancelled their King of Eden preorders because it wasn't packaged in a Blu-ray amaray...Rolling Eyes

Just giving it some constructive criticism. They want us to voice our opinion so there it is. I emailed FUNi and they got back to me on it a while back. Their future combo set stock photos look great BTW.
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I have also been hiding in the weeds looking for a review on this series. From what I am reading here, I may just have to give it a shot. Thanks for the honesty everyone!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3