• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Suspicious Behavior

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It kind of sickens me that Funimation is even in the same business as Rick "let's compare condemning social welfare programs to fighting apartheid" Santorum, let alone so close to each other. People of his dominionist ilk are destroying the country with their civil rights blocking and anti-science thought process, and if I thought I was contributing to him by buying Funimation releases, I'd not only stop buying their products, I'd sell the ones I already have.

Yeah, this really needs to be said. Rick Santorum is an openly bigoted sack of shit. And I honestly don't think it is an exaggeration to call him a borderline fascist given his explicitly stated rejection of the idea that the government shouldn't get involved in the bedroom and strong support for the enforcement of so called obscenity laws. I have no problem coexisting with Christians even if I think their belief is rather dubious myself. I actually think the majority of them are pretty okay people (or at least, no worse than the average person in general). And I can also respect people of different political views in regards to the vast majority of issues (ie. So long as the don't involve bigotry or denying people their basic freedoms). But Rick Santorum can go fornicate with a horse. The guy is about as big a shitbird as they come. And having a massive problem with supporting him should not for a second be equated with having a problem supporting people of a different religion/political stance than you in general.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It kind of sickens me that Funimation is even in the same business as Rick "let's compare condemning social welfare programs to fighting apartheid" Santorum, let alone so close to each other. People of his dominionist ilk are destroying the country with their civil rights blocking and anti-science thought process, and if I thought I was contributing to him by buying Funimation releases, I'd not only stop buying their products, I'd sell the ones I already have.

Yeah, this really needs to be said. Rick Santorum is an openly bigoted sack of shit. And I honestly don't think it is an exaggeration to call him a borderline fascist given his explicitly stated rejection of the idea that the government shouldn't get involved in the bedroom and strong support for the enforcement of so called obscenity laws. I have no problem coexisting with Christians even if I think their belief is rather dubious myself. I actually think the majority of them are pretty okay people (or at least, no worse than the average person in general). And I can also respect people of different political views in regards to the vast majority of issues (ie. So long as the don't involve bigotry or denying people their basic freedoms). But Rick Santorum can go fornicate with a horse. The guy is about as big a shitbird as they come. And having a massive problem with supporting him should not for a second be equated with having a problem supporting people of a different religion/political stance than you in general.

This times infinity. If Rick Santorum actually won the election, he'd be even worse than Mitt Romney.

Oh, and I was the one who originally asked The Wind Rises question. I'm glad that another one of my questions got published. As another user previously stated, I can imagine Miyazaki taking home a Lifetime Achievement Award. Him retiring after 35 years of filmmaking is huge news, and I think that the Academy will at least sympathize with him in that regard. The real question is whether or not he'll actually be present at the Oscars this time. We all know how much disdain he has for America.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Is there anywhere you can see the shorts legally online right now? I know they're getting a brief theater run, but I doubt they'll make it to where I live. I'm so behind on movies because I'm waiting for them to come to the cheap theater, I'd like to have an informed opinion on at least one of them.

Not rooting for The Wind Rises at all. I've said my opinion enough times on other threads, but it is by far the weakest Miyazaki film I've ever seen. I may rewatch it when it hits DVD to see if a dub improve it somewhat (JGL > Hideaki Anno in the acting department), but I know I'll be grimacing through the maudlin, made-up plot.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
^
I think I know what you're getting at, but aren't the vast majority of plots made up?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Is there anywhere you can see the shorts legally online right now? I know they're getting a brief theater run, but I doubt they'll make it to where I live.

I know you can rent and buy the short "Feral" and view the trailer here:
http://vimeo.com/ondemand/feral

Renting is 1 USD, buying is 2. I haven't watched it yet, but the trailer is interesting.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I think I know what you're getting at, but aren't the vast majority of plots made up?

This is based on the life of a real person. His real life - an engineer who wasn't much of a war supporter but found himself designing one of Japan's chief war planes - is fascinating.

The bulk of the movie, however, follows his relationship with his wife, who is dying of tuberculosis.

Three problems with that. First, it's cliched back to the time of Puccini.

Second, it makes Miyazaki's final (apparently) heroine a sick woman whose life revolves around a man.

Third, it never happened. It comes from another short story.

Miyazaki basically ignores the issue of the war as much as possible in favor of a cloying little love story that's fabricated whole-cloth. It's a very frustrating movie as a result.

(Though I will admit it might work better with someone other than Hideaki Anno, who was incredibly wooden and couldn't pull off "grieving husband", playing the lead. I've heard this criticism from Japanese friends as well; it's hard to connect to a guy who sounds bored as his wife is dying.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
^
Ah, so you meant it in a revisionist sense. Okay, that seems like a fair criticism.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Technically, you are. In the end you are supporting the parent company, which in turn supports EchoLight. So start unloading your Funimation products.

But nowadays, with stocks, buyouts, and company diversifications that answer is no longer black and white. Are you really sending a message by destroying the company you love, to supposedly punish the parent company, or another company under the same umbrella.

If CBN or another controversial company bought out Funimation, I would still buy Funimation products. In the scheme of things, it will matter little what we do at that business level.

As a side note, you never hear of boycotts or backlash of stars and celebrities who party and celebrate with despots and dictators, unless it is with Kim Jong Il.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Key:
Quote:
Not an equivalent comparison, since B&B was competing in the "big boy" category, and not the Animated category (which didn't exist at the time).

Yes, but the fact that it got that far means it was just as popular as Silence of the Lambs. And everyone knows it was mostly politics that hurt B+B, not the competition. [Live-action filmmaking a-holes didn't like the idea of a cartoon winning BP, so they stopped it in its tracks then and there.] But if you wanna go there, Lilo & Stitch didn't make it in the "right" category, either.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
As another user previously stated, I can imagine Miyazaki taking home a Lifetime Achievement Award. Him retiring after 35 years of filmmaking is huge news,

It would be, if this wasn't his 10th time retiring. You can't take a retirement announcement from him seriously.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Can people not named Woody Allen get away with ditching award shows? I thought the committees take that stuff personally.

Well, Miyazaki did get away with ditching the Japanese emperor's invitation for tea just last year. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
Entertainment companies splitting genres with a branch is nothing new. Disney does it with Touchstone and Maramax as a way of getting some of the otherside of the "passion money" Laughing

Justin wrote:
I don't put The Wind Rises' chances at zero,
No pun intended I presume. Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While publishers are often frustrated by getting unexpectedly poor quality masters from Japanese licensors, I think situations like that can usually (but not always) be explained to something other than malice.
That depends; is it inherently malicious to deliberately sabotage the quality of overseas releases to discourage reverse importation, or is that just the Japanese side making legitimate (if disliked) business decisions to protect themselves?

dtm42 wrote:
The first question reminds me of all the hooplah when FUNi used fansubs for their dub recording sessions. Sure, the fansubs were not released to the public in the official release; they remained in-house. But one can't help wonder if FUNi's dub script was just taken straight from the fansubs themselves, which would certainly be pretty dodgy.
That wasn't a fansub though; that was a HorribleSubs CR rip. And as Sentai's "convert to imagesub and replicate" disc releases of CR's subs seem to indicate, home video licensors have authorized access to simulcast subtitle translations. I haven't checked any Funimation releases to see if they re-use CR subs directly, but it certainly wouldn't be out of line for them to do so.
extatix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The first question reminds me of all the hooplah when FUNi used fansubs for their dub recording sessions. Sure, the fansubs were not released to the public in the official release; they remained in-house. But one can't help wonder if FUNi's dub script was just taken straight from the fansubs themselves, which would certainly be pretty dodgy.
Except that those fansubs you mention were a straight rip of a legal stream.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote
so I assume Gen Fukunaga himself is a Christian and it's a purely business motivated venture? one does have to wonder then how he justifies releasing violent or sexual anime with a sometimes explicitly anti-Christian bent like Hellsing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6