• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: California Senator Behind Violent Game Bill Arrested on Gun Trafficking Charges

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KongouDesu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Ah, I see ANN is reporting on it although this was already reported by the gaming media few days ago. But I found several article from Gamepolitics which might be of interest to all of you:

Poll: Will Leland Yee’s Arrest Negatively Affect the Viability of Anti-Video Game Arguments?

Leland Yee Accused of Buying Campaign Donations With Political Favors and Brokering an Arms Deal

Leland Yee: Rocket Launchers and the Chinese Mafia

I wouldn't be surprised if Leland Yee had ties with the Chinese Communist regime and secretly giving top-secret info on how US military operate to the Chinese government and also giving information on Chinese dissidents (that include the one that take part in the 1989 Tianammen Square uprisings) living in the US and their activities. I would love Leland Yee to be prosecuted for espionage.

Former Friends, Foes Comment on California Senator Leland Yee's Indictments

Well there you go, that's most of the useful info I can find on Leland Yee's criminal act.

I find your conclusion very far-fetched, sensationalist, and even a little bit ignorant. Yee's ties are with the Triads, not the Chinese government. The Triads left China for Hong Kong and SEA because of the communist crackdown on organized crime. There's no reason for the Triads to support the Chinese government, they're a crime organization. In fact they probably even have bad blood between each other. Do more research before you come to these kinds of conclusions. This isn't a movie or a video game.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Scapegoating to keep eyes off the real problem (namely, him?). Huh.

Twisted Evil
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Tip o' the iceberg re corruption: too bad the FBI can't round them ALL up.....who would be left to govern (theoretically speaking) the country?
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Ah, I see ANN is reporting on it although this was already reported by the gaming media few days ago.

I've first read about this on the CBLDF's website.
http://cbldf.org/2014/03/politician-who-sponsored-law-struck-down-by-brown-v-ema-arrested-on-public-corruption-charges/
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
KongouDesu wrote:

I find your conclusion very far-fetched, sensationalist, and even a little bit ignorant. Yee's ties are with the Triads, not the Chinese government. The Triads left China for Hong Kong and SEA because of the communist crackdown on organized crime. There's no reason for the Triads to support the Chinese government, they're a crime organization. In fact they probably even have bad blood between each other. Do more research before you come to these kinds of conclusions. This isn't a movie or a video game.

Unfortunately, some Triads have ties with the Mainland Chinese government, and this was brought up several times. how do you know this triads doesn't have tie with the regime?? If they do have ties, then Leland Yee could be in more trouble for possible espionage. But for now, no evidence yet, but it would be a double whammy if he was doing deal with the Chinese government.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Best news I've heard all day.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
How do you know this triads doesn't have tie with the regime?? If they do have ties, then Leland Yee could be in more trouble for possible espionage. But for now, no evidence yet, but it would be a double whammy if he was doing deal with the Chinese government.

It would also be a double whammy if he was running a secret brothel in his basement. Or a meth lab. Or a dog fighting ring. (And how do you know he wasn't?) But since there's no evidence yet of any of that, suspecting as much would be pretty ridiculous. If something comes out to actually indicate any of these things are even remotely true, okay. But for now, this whole line of speculation is absurd and actually comes off as being a wee bit prejudiced.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I do some game development and hadn't had any particular problem with the idea of minors being prevented from buying games (or films etc.) not rated for them. Let their parents buy them. Presumably Yee felt game-related restrictions were an extension of or step towards the gun control laws he and his criminal associates saw as good for business, though, so I guess any non-essential increase in government control should probably be considered skeptically.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I do some game development and hadn't had any particular problem with the idea of minors being prevented from buying games (or films etc.) not rated for them. Let their parents buy them. Presumably Yee felt game-related restrictions were an extension of or step towards the gun control laws he and his criminal associates saw as good for business, though, so I guess any non-essential increase in government control should probably be considered skeptically.

What shocks me is I'll be in my local Gamestop browsing and listening to the clerk explain to a mom with her elementary aged child present about the content of said M rated game, and the adult will then consent to buy the game. Not my choice to say how that parent should raise their kids but there is consequences to not addressing those issues.

Looks like Yee might have been trying to help create a bigger problem by what he is accused of at this point. If he hadn't been caught maybe he could have made a case to expand gun restriction even further. Which proves how big a hypocrite he was. Walk the walk if you are going to talk the talk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
It must've been them vidya games that made him do it! There's simply no other explanation...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Just as a rule of thumb, treat it like this: the higher the politician's position, the higher the probability of hidden corruption. Politicians have to do some unsavory acts over the years to get where they are - even the ones who support your video games or anime. Just something to keep in mind.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
If they want the job, they can't be trusted with it.

Once they have the job, they can't be trusted with anything.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Just as a rule of thumb, treat it like this: the higher the politician's position, the higher the probability of hidden corruption. Politicians have to do some unsavory acts over the years to get where they are - even the ones who support your video games or anime. Just something to keep in mind.

Exactly - you just need to watch Scandal Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Uh oh, looks like Leland Yee could be indicted with aiding terrorism because according to Gamepolitics, the gun deals he was involved with can end up supplying muslim extremists/rebels in the Phillipines, if any of those groups are linked to Al-Queda, Leland Yee could end up being charged for aiding Al-Queda indirectly.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Uh oh, looks like Leland Yee could be indicted with aiding terrorism because according to Gamepolitics, the gun deals he was involved with can end up supplying muslim extremists/rebels in the Phillipines, if any of those groups are linked to Al-Queda, Leland Yee could end up being charged for aiding Al-Queda indirectly.

I've read about that as well.
And as the nephew of a 9/11 survivor, this is an extremely despicable & unforgivable crime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4