• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Recalls Manga That Tokyo Designated as 'Unhealthy'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
I just had a thought: comparing homosexuality with incest means implying that there's something inherently wrong with homosexuality. Stay classy, buddy.

That's depending on how you are raised/your social views. I personally think homosexuality is inherently wrong but don't call me a homophobe.

... That's the very definition of homophobia, dude. Neutral

This has me wondering if yaoi & yuri are banned in Russia.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

The only part that makes some sense is the higher chance of birth defects should such relationship result in offspring. However that is tangential and can be avoided.

After all these posts I've read, you, Zac, everyone, still have given me zilch reason to understand the 'Why'...

Well, birth defects (in this case particularly potent damage to the immune system through incestuous reproduction, aside from other maladies) are the reason incestuous relationships have both a societal taboo and a bias against them in nature. But generally if you look at any study about incestuous relationships there's sexual abuse involved in a statistically very high number of cases. Claiming there is no power dynamic between siblings, one that could be exploited by one of the two people in the relationship leading to sexual abuse, is ignoring the reality of sibling relationships. Even if the two siblings involved are the same age, there is a natural power structure involved (determined often by factors such as which child is treated more favorably by their parents, etc) and so abuse is likely, as has been observed.

It grosses people out for a reason - one that's instinctual by nature and a societal conditioning that rejects the concept of incestuous relationships. Nature itself has placed a big "WARNING - HIGH VOLTAGE" sign on incest, and society has taken it seriously.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
I just had a thought: comparing homosexuality with incest means implying that there's something inherently wrong with homosexuality. Stay classy, buddy.

That's depending on how you are raised/your social views. I personally think homosexuality is inherently wrong but don't call me a homophobe.

... That's the very definition of homophobia, dude. Neutral

The literal definition of "homophobe" is FEAR of homosexuals, so if you think its inherently wrong, but aren't afraid of gays, maybe that's only being a culturally backward gender orientation chauvinist.

The point about power and abusive relationships does point out a massive difference between the two ... an incestuous relationship intrinsically involves a very few potential partners, while consensual homosexual relationship involves a prospective population of the hundreds of millions of gay people on the planet.

Obviously, people who are in denial that there are (at the very least) hundreds of millions of gay people on the planet, that denialism would point to being afraid of gay people, and then homophobia would clearly be a literally accurate term, and not just a shorthand for culturally backward gender orientation chauvinists.
daveriley

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It grosses people out for a reason - one that's instinctual by nature and a societal conditioning that rejects the concept of incestuous relationships. Nature itself has placed a big "WARNING - HIGH VOLTAGE" sign on incest, and society has taken it seriously.
There is also some scientific basis behind the "icky" feeling. I know the anecdotal numbers on people who create/enjoy this kind of fiction is that they're most often an only child.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This whole talk has reminded me of the Brady Bunch movie where the older brother and sister fell for each other and because they were siblings even only through marriage it was a taboo, yet when they found out the marriage might not have been valid they were all excited.

Remember, incest isn't necessarily through direct blood relation such as siblings and child-parent - it can also include step-siblings, cousins, aunts, nephews, uncles, nieces etc. I brought this up in the first thread regarding this, but even in the US there are discrepancies in laws. In California first cousins can marry, while in Texas it's a criminal offence. In several of the states if it's an adoptive sibling or even an adopted cousin it's seen as incest.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Trying to draw comparisons between homosexuality and incest...

...I just...can barely contain how personally offended I am

Just...you don't know. You don't know. You don't know what it's like to be a gay person, and you just don't have any kind of personal stake in such an argument. That's the only way someone could make such a terrible, heartless, disgusting comparison.

Quote:
But by that logic homosexuality is worse because there is zero chance at proper, natural procreation. If you view sex as purely a procreational process rather than one that can be either about pleasure or love, then incest would be more favorable as there is still a high chance at having a normal child.

Yes, because in vitro fertilization and other such methods for gay people to have children just don't exist.

Seriously Jave, shut up and get the hell out. You're just a contrarion clown who likes to laugh at anything that doesn't fit you're nationalistic, feteshy, world view in the most dismissive way possible. Why someone like you who has zero ability to contribute anything positive to a discussion is still here completely baffles me

Last edited by Shenl742 on Sat May 17, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
STOP

Okay, this is the kind of intolerance I'm not going to put up with here.

Comparing homosexuality to incest or any other form of "deviant" sexuality is close enough to hate speech or at the very least outright ignorant bigotry that it will not be tolerated, period. I don't care what sort of awful moon logic you're trying to twist yourself into in order to defend your incest fetish, we're done with that kind of language.

This community is welcoming and open to persons who identify as LGBT and this kind of language is exclusionary at best and at worst, outright hateful. It is not welcome here, period.

Jave is being placed on moderation for his comments. I suggest anyone else looking to make the same "arguments" learn from this example.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Jave is being placed on moderation for his comments. I suggest anyone else looking to make the same "arguments" learn from this example.

Well I hope it doesn't get out of control to the point where you lock the thread. Anytime an issue like homosexuality is brought up, it turns into a soapboxing, inflammatory free for all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Comparing homosexuality to incest or any other form of "deviant" sexuality is close enough to hate speech or at the very least outright ignorant bigotry that it will not be tolerated, period. I don't care what sort of awful moon logic you're trying to twist yourself into in order to defend your incest fetish, we're done with that kind of language.

This community is welcoming and open to persons who identify as LGBT and this kind of language is exclusionary at best and at worst, outright hateful. It is not welcome here, period.

Does this mean people who identify as other things are not welcome? People who identify as other non-conforming individuals that you personally do not support are kindly shown the door? That seems to be the growing case in these threads as of late.

You say you don't get why people accuse you of being draconian and shutting down discussions that don't go your way, and these kinds of instances don't really help. If people aren't even going to be allowed to post on these things anymore that makes for a pretty one-sided discussion.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Zac wrote:

Does this mean people who identify as other things are not welcome?

I do not understand why you ask that.
Zac said that hate speech and bigotry will not be tolerated.
What are these "other things" that you ask about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Does this mean people who identify as other things are not welcome? People who identify as other non-conforming individuals that you personally do not support are kindly shown the door? That seems to be the growing case in these threads as of late.

Umn, tell me, just what are thse "non-conforming things" that people "identify" as? Don't give me vague nonsense, be specific about just what sort of identities are being oppressed by Zac's decision to stop unpleasant comparisons and comments about homosexuality.

Quote:
You say you don't get why people accuse you of being draconian and shutting down discussions that don't go your way, and these kinds of instances don't really help. If people aren't even going to be allowed to post on these things anymore that makes for a pretty one-sided discussion.

And he also gets accused of not being harsh enough on people who post gross/hateful/inflammatory things, resulting in the forums becoming a hostile and horrible environment for some people. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

But I imagine it's actually probably hard to figure out just where to draw the line on things like hateful/disgusting opinions. This is a private forum so "free speech" doesn't apply, but just because Zac can ban pretty much anything doesn't mean he should. In the past I've seen people make the "homosexuality is the same as incest" argument and it hasn't gotten as harsh a response, but I guess Zac's decided to crack down on it, probably because of the whole "it creates a hostile and hateful environment for LBGT people" thing I mentioned.

Which is fine by me. After all, is there really any good reason why this forum needs to allow people to make "homosexuality is just like incest" comments? Even if you're trying to justify an incest fetish, there is zero need to make that comparison, and the comparison itself is flawed and stupid and just hurts any argument you make because it makes you seem like an idiot at best.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote

Here is how surprised I am by you specifically being the guy to try and make a case for allowing straight up bigotry or racism or any other kind of hate speech or borderline hate speech, on a scale of 1 to 10:

negative a billion

Go ahead, try the "be tolerant of my intolerance or you're the real intolerant one" argument next.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Trying to draw comparisons between homosexuality and incest...

...I just...can barely contain how personally offended I am

Just...you don't know. You don't know. You don't know what it's like to be a gay person, and you just don't have any kind of personal stake in such an argument. That's the only way someone could make such a terrible, heartless, disgusting comparison.
Do you, or have you ever, used the idea consenting adults should be allowed to do what they will in defense of homosexual marriage? Because that argument does in fact justify (some cases of)incest, polygamy and a whole bunch of things currently way off topic. Just thought you oughtta know.
Mad Scientist wrote:
Which is fine by me. After all, is there really any good reason why this forum needs to allow people to make "homosexuality is just like incest" comments? Even if you're trying to justify an incest fetish, there is zero need to make that comparison, and the comparison itself is flawed and stupid and just hurts any argument you make because it makes you seem like an idiot at best.
I wouldn't say they're the same, just happen to share some of the same arguments(as I mentioned, "consenting adults" can be used for just about everything). Feel free to prosecute the abusive relationships, but do so under laws that specifically target the abusive side rather than the shared-blood side(though you can leave that as an aggravating factor). Even if you don't accept there can ever be a nonabusive case, the crime is still the abuse itself.

An incest fetish, on the other hand, has little to do with actual incest.
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm glad of that,TarsTarkas. That manga is too creepy for my tastes.
You don't have to worry much about the manga, but I'd say there's a decent chance of the game coming out, given MangaGamer is currently beta testing the first one and if that goes well...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Do you, or have you ever, used the idea consenting adults should be allowed to do what they will in defense of homosexual marriage? Because that argument does in fact justify (some cases of)incest, polygamy and a whole bunch of things currently way off topic. Just thought you oughtta know.

Self-awareness is often a lacking virtue in these discussions. When one's arguments can be turned against them, it's best to rethink one's position perhaps.

If two consenting individuals want to do something, that is their business, in the end. However there always seems to be those little asterix marks next to the ideal which denote exceptions. Exceptions which, oddly enough, seem to always involve someone's personal views.

mdo7 wrote:
Zac, just put the dude on moderation. Mister Ryan Andrews comments on other topic seem to not stick in reality from time to time, I mean look at this one.

You should be less obvious in your self-servicing agenda by using a post where someone disagree with you as your reference point for a cry for moderation. Admitted, that's what the report button is mostly used for, when someone has the audacity to disagree with someone else, but at least be less obvious about it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
Zac, just put the dude on moderation. Mister Ryan Andrews comments on other topic seem to not stick in reality from time to time, I mean look at this one.

You should be less obvious in your self-servicing agenda by using a post where someone disagree with you as your reference point for a cry for moderation. Admitted, that's what the report button is mostly used for, when someone has the audacity to disagree with someone else, but at least be less obvious about it.

Report him for what, he didn't say anything offensive when he commented about stalking in Japan, however that same comment he made seem to show he's not sticking in reality. That's not something that would be called for to have ban or moderated, but defending a person's homophobia/hate speech that's a whole new level for that user, that's why I wanted that guy to put on moderation. But I'm not going to derail the topic over this.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat May 17, 2014 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5