• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Error report] Consolidated errors for doc-watson42

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
Regarding Galaxy Express 999 (manga): there are actually two, the second a sequel to the first; it was the second which was published in Animerica (which is why I am reporting it here). Proof:
For convenience, since I don't know for certain that they are proof:

Edit: I submitted the second manga for approval.

[Fixed]

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Kitty Films is not currently displayed on the Encyclopedia - Company - K page.

[Fixed]

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
FLCL OAV (#277) is listed twice on GAINAX's (#54) page, rather than having all of the credits combined. (Is this an above-the-line/below-the-line type of error?)

[Fixed]—see also below.

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:09 am; edited 3 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
You really discovered some of the weirdest errors. Unfortunately I don't know how they were created, let alone fixing them. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
Akio Watanabe (#2813) has his alias of "Poyoyon Rock" displayed in his entry, but not in Japanese characters ("ぽよよんろっく"; proof 1, proof 2). Apparently because the "Also known as" field is connected to the redirect from Poyoyon Rock, it is not subject to the use of the error report, so I am requesting that an editor add this information (please).

[Fixed]

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately the search engine does not allow searching people's names with kanji yet. Searching with 渡辺明夫, or even simply 渡辺 (a very common family name), return with zero result.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Unfortunately the search engine does not allow searching people's names with kanji yet. Searching with 渡辺明夫, or even simply 渡辺 (a very common family name), return with zero result.

Oh, foo. So that's why Inuko Inuyama's name did not not show up this afternoon. I guess it's back to Google.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
I just submitted several error reports for Domain of Murder (#136), but one of my principle forms of proof is an auction that ends in two and a half days, so I'm bumping this thread in order that they may get taken care of before the page disappears. I hope that you will forgive this request for special treatment. Anime smile + sweatdrop
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
I just submitted several error reports for Domain of Murder (#136), but one of my principle forms of proof is an auction that ends in two and a half days, so I'm bumping this thread in order that they may get taken care of before the page disappears. I hope that you will forgive this request for special treatment. ^_^'

I have looked at the proof and credited the information to the you. Just one thing I need to know - do the names as previously entered come from the R1 release? It's strange that they are so off (misreadings and misspellings are common, but that struck me as more off than usual)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
To doc-watson42 and EmperorBrandon: Hold it! There are two ways to romanize 河南: "Kannan" (A.C.E and this thread) and "Kawanami" (Allcimema). I'm more inclined to trust A.C.E for I've seen numerous romanization mistakes in Allcinema.

Furthermore, there's no "File 170" at anywhere of the video cover, so I'm taking it off.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
Just one thing I need to know - do the names as previously entered come from the R1 release? It's strange that they are so off (misreadings and misspellings are common, but that struck me as more off than usual)

Ahem. Wink
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
I just submitted several error reports for Domain of Murder (#136), but one of my principle forms of proof is an auction that ends in two and a half days, so I'm bumping this thread in order that they may get taken care of before the page disappears. I hope that you will forgive this request for special treatment. ^_^'

I have looked at the proof and credited the information to the you. Just one thing I need to know - do the names as previously entered come from the R1 release? It's strange that they are so off (misreadings and misspellings are common, but that struck me as more off than usual)

Yes, they do. Note that for my new entries I verified them directly against the name kanji in the Encyclopedia.

I also find it strange that so many names would be mistransl(iter)ated, as Neil Nadelman is credited as the translator, but I was alerted by The Anime Encyclopedia, Rev. & Exp. Ed. entry (page 155; which I had no part in writing):

Quote:
The production was ill-served in English (with a distributor who managed to mistranslate the names of the creator, writer, main cast, and director!) though the subtitled edition retained the excellent voice of Shigeru (Arion) Nakahara in the lead, and there's a wonderful cameo turn from Yo Inoue (Patlabor's Kanuka Clancy) as a bar-girl past her prime.

Edit: Oops—I forgot that double posting is not allowed here, so I've deleted my last post, and am including the content here:

dormcat wrote:
Furthermore, there's no "File 170" at anywhere of the video cover, so I'm taking it off.

<sigh> Okay—is this example good enough (subtitles by CPM)?:

The second title card for completeness's sake:

(Fortunately, the nasty upstream lag I was experiencing seems to have disappeared.)
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
I believe Sci-fi Harry (#1016) is a television show, not an OAV. Allcinema entry; Japanese Wikipedia article; video releases at CD Japan for reference (they postdate the stated vintage).

[Fixed]

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
<sigh> Okay—is this example good enough (subtitles by CPM)?:

Alright, alright. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Those oldies with different titles on jacket and title screen are quite bothersome.

doc-watson42 wrote:
(Fortunately, the nasty upstream lag I was experiencing seems to have disappeared.)

Still lagging here. Mad

doc-watson42 wrote:
I believe Sci-fi Harry (#1016) is a television show, not an OAV. Allcinema entry; Japanese Wikipedia article; video releases at CD Japan for reference (they postdate the stated vintage).

I concur, but I can't make such change. Only Chris or Dan can.

I wonder why the original submitter entered it as an OVA back then... no source info were given. Confused
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

Still lagging here. Mad

I was wrong—it passed only momentarily, though I'm not having a problem now.

As for the title—thanks; and this thread exists so that errors I find (that can not be reported elsewhere) are not lost in the clutter, but fixed eventually. If you can't fix something, Chris or Dan will sooner or later notice this thread has bounced up again.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
FLCL OAV (#277) is listed twice on GAINAX's (#54) page, rather than having all of the credits combined. (Is this an above-the-line/below-the-line type of error?)

Ditto Coyote Ragtime Show TV (#6451) and Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! TV (#6789) on ufotable's (#4362) page.

[Fixed] (both of them)

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10