• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Chaika The Coffin Princess, 7 Summer Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I was really hoping Funimation would've picked up Akame ga Kill and Chaika. Now we're guaranteed a crappy dub for both.
Youre implying Funimation doesn't have crappy dubs. They do. Best example is still how Misaka Mikoto's VA doesn't pronounce her character's name properly. Ruins the entire dub for me.

Who cares exactly? I'm Italian-American and I could list examples of words non-Italians get wrong, though it doesn't bother me, because I am aware that forcing one to pronounce Italian 100% like the Italians do as a non-Italian is unnatural.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Crusher X303 wrote:
My only concern with Sentai (and honestly I don't know if it is just my mind set or not) is that they don't really dub a whole lot of their stuff. I do believe they have gone back and dubbed other shows that were sub only which is cool that they do that.

Sentai does a lot of dubs (too many in my opinion). They do not dub 99% of their releases like Funimation, but Sentai, in my calculations, dubs about 60-65% of their releases.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Anther PA works for sentai and Chaika nice
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I was really hoping Funimation would've picked up Akame ga Kill and Chaika. Now we're guaranteed a crappy dub for both.
Youre implying Funimation doesn't have crappy dubs. They do. Best example is still how Misaka Mikoto's VA doesn't pronounce her character's name properly. Ruins the entire dub for me.

Who cares exactly? I'm Italian-American and I could list examples of words non-Italians get wrong, though it doesn't bother me, because I am aware that forcing one to pronounce Italian 100% like the Italians do as a non-Italian is unnatural.

Wow... I thought I was the only one. I am also Italian-American (I guess maybe American-Italian would be better for me), and I was thinking the same way. There are quite a bit of products and famous names that are not pronounced correctly.... but it just rolls of my back. I think that's why it probably doesn't bother me that there are Japanese names being pronounce wrong.

For me a dub just has to have a good script, and good voice quality.

I must say... I am 28. Last year I got my 65 yr old father into anime. The anime that got him hooked was Good Luck Girl. I honestly don't think that a few mispronounced names hindered his love for it. After that he has watch Railgun, Index, Black lagoon, Is the order Rabbit, Heavens Lost Property, Yuru Yuri and quite a few others along the same lines. He loves anime now... right now he is going threw K-On... But if it wasn't for dubs he would have never gotten into it. So a mispronounced name of a character (or similar type of thing) isn't a big deal.

As long as the script if funny, emotional, dramatic (or whatever tone they are going for) and the voice actors can portray the range of emotion needed, it is all good. I really appreciate these companies bringing these works to North America.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't the pronunciation of names in Good Luck Girl that were bad, those were fine. It was the treatment of jokes from the original Japanese that turned me off. Some of them were thrown out in replace for something entirely different, changing the moods in some scenes.

But I guess I nitpick.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Funimation clearly has an A-team and a B-team that work on their dubs, and Index and Railgun were both definitely done by the B-team. But even the B-team dubs sound better than the fan-dub quality that Sentai puts out with their dubs.

I mean, as annoying as it is that they mispronounce Misaka's name and she sounds like a freaking chain smoker in the dub, it at least comes off as feeling like some effort was put into the overall execution of it. You don't get that with Sentai.

Yeah, sometimes it's weird what they'll put their A-team on. Shoujos like Ouran and Kamisama Kiss get really good dubs, while stuff like Spice and Wolf and Index doesn't get the best. FUNi has also done absolutely outstanding jobs on stuff like Jormungand and ChaoS;HEAd (Jormungand deserved it but C;H didn't).

Last edited by Knight-Hart on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I look at dubs this way; every studio puts out good dubs and every studio puts out bad dubs. They've all also been responsible for a couple real stinkers during their existence. The thing is that everyone's tastes are different. Everyone of us is a fan of a dub that a lot of people hate, and I'm pretty sure all of us have those dubs that everyone else thinks is fantastic but we can't stand. You can't please everyone.

There really isn't any point in arguing over it. For instance, one of the dubs mentioned above a being an example of a good Funi dub, I actually find to be one of the most poorly cast and acted dubs of all time. It's all just a matter of personal taste

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping that Sentai would pick up Love Stage!! I only thought they would cause they picked up Sakura Trick so I thought they might license a yaoi, but eh.

Well, at least they got Ao Haru Ride. Might look into buying that.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
I was really hoping that Sentai would pick up Love Stage!! I only thought they would cause they picked up Sakura Trick so I thought they might license a yaoi, but eh.

There's still a chance for it.
As I doubt this is all of Sentai's titles, since it's only 7 and they've usually been announcing 10-11 per season lately.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
An interesting and impressive mix of good, potentially good and "what, did they get a discount?" shows.

I like the potential of PA's Glasslip {"Glass lip" or "glas slip"?} but I always get stuck at the phrase "aspiring glass blower". It's right up there for me as "aspiring violin crafter" of Whisper of the Heart. It's not a vocation you aspire to, it's something you do after years of honing your craft because no one else wants to put the necessary effort into it.

Rail Wars, guess I'll have to watch it now.

Chiaki, I've been wondering why no one had licensed it already.

Invaders of the Rokujyoma!?, my kind of show, my kind of director and production company.

Akame ga Kill... "The dark action fantasy manga follows the title character, Akame, a girl who was bought, and raised by the Empire as an assassin. After meeting Akame, a boy named Tatsumi vows to stand up to the evil of the corrupt Empire with the secret assassin group Night Raid and special weapons known as Teigu."

There's a problem here, a really big one too and that's just from the official description. See if you can spot it...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Can somebody please license Strike the blood, and maybe tokyo ravens.

Also was Dragonar licensed?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Can somebody please license Strike the blood, and maybe tokyo ravens.

Also was Dragonar licensed?

Funi has simulcast rights to Tokyo Ravens and Dragonar. so, we'll probably see home video licenses at some point
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I look at dubs this way; every studio puts out good dubs and every studio puts out bad dubs. They've all also been responsible for a couple real stinkers during their existence. The thing is that everyone's tastes are different. Everyone of us is a fan of a dub that a lot of people hate, and I'm pretty sure all of us have those dubs that everyone else thinks is fantastic but we can't stand. You can't please everyone.

There really isn't any point in arguing over it. For instance, one of the dubs mentioned above a being an example of a good Funi dub, I actually find to be one of the most poorly cast and acted dubs of all time. It's all just a matter of personal taste

Good point. But even though you speak a netural view, one has to take a side sometimes. Like with me jumping over to Sentai's dub boat. They pulled me from Funimations liberal dubs, frequent cast copy/paste, or terrible female actresses (that sometimes sound the same like Jamie Marchi, Colleen Clinkinbeard, or Caitlynn Glass) to Sentai's loose but loyal script writing in titles such as Ef and Majestic Prince, Similar cast copy/pasting but with them taking on different characters compared to previous titles like Greg voicing a buff man instead of a wimp, and small but incredibally unique/adorable female actresses that rarely sound alike ala. Emily, Maggie, Molly, Jessica, Nancey, etc.

Now I just gave my opinion with declarable and meaningful points. Unlike most users that don't indulge in there points and just state that, "Duh, funimation is #1 in dubs. Sentai got nothing!" or

Oneeyadjacks wrote:
1.But even the B-team dubs sound better than the 2.fan-dub quality that Sentai puts out with their dubs.

3.it at least comes off as feeling like some effort was put into the overall execution of it. You don't get that with Sentai.

1. In what way do they sound better? In there script liberalization in titles such as Jourmagund all for the case of making a plastic copy of Black Lagoon's english dub? Without even severe/MA cursing? Its not looking good to even Steven Fosters dub of Btoom! Giving small script changes but also bringing in Jovan Jakson. A black VA for the role a dark skinned character. Even Funimation could not have pulled that off for Panty and Stocking, and I loved that dub. But criticism is due.

2. Point out examples to how a slight few of Sentai Filmworks dubs sound like a fandub? Like Guin Saga's 7 min gag dub pieces or Medaka Box at the swimming episode in lip flap hell.

3. And what effort? In that Trina is following here voice more than her characters movements and facial expressions? That is mostly what a fandub is. Which the english dub of Attack on Titan SHOULD NOT HAVE, if Funi fans were anticipating this dub to be the next FMA.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I figured they had Chaika which is fine by me since its too good of a series to not be licensed. I am kind of worries about the quality of the dub. But I will deal!

They also picked up a lot of shows that I plan on watching this season. Although some of them I figured would be grabbed by Funi.

Still surprised that no one has grabbed Brynhildr yet. Sentai still has two Spring shows to announce though. So my fingers are still crossed.

Agreed, hopefully Chaika gets a really good dub, it deserves one (I really liked Bandai's dub of Scrapped Princess), the Majestic Prince dub seems really good so far, hopefully there'll be a good crew on it.

Cool to see Log Horizon getting a dub, wasn't sure but figured it had a good shot due to that type of show being hot right now.

I'm also potentially interested in Argevollen, Akame ga KILL, Rail Wars when we see this start up this summer/now.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
This 100% i wish Sentai films try more on there dubs that or at least get some new VA that have some skill in acting but that said. Funi is to lazy for there own good sure they grab some good shows but they take far to long to get them out that and other bugs they seem to have Rolling Eyes so i guess at least with Sentai the shows will come out. I'm still waiting / hoping funi will put out unbreakable machine doll but like i said there lazy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5