• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Powered-Up Forms That Are More Weird Than Awesome

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TripleRach

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
The Saiyan giant monkey form has nothing to do with puberty, or any sort of comedy parallel to it (though the werewolf part is fairly accurate). Gokuu had a monkey tail from day 1, because he's a blatant parody of Sun Wukong, the Monkey King. And the story clearly states that he was born with the tail, and that he had transformed at least once before off-screen. Later we learn that it's a racial trait from his home planet, and his 4-year-old son transforms as well.

The tails only come and go because people actively cut them off, and they grow back with varying consistency. (And Toriyama seemingly grew tired of the concept after a while.) So they don't just "get tails" one day, and in the context of a super strong kid with a monkey tail, it's not even the weirdest transformation in the Dragon Ball franchise.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
I feel what should rate highly on the list is that one person from Shakugan no Shana (I forget the name) who powers up into... fat blue bear. The whole thing is a complete WTF. It manages to be silly and stupid at the same time.

As for the best SqueeNix franchise, anyone who doesn't vote for Xenogears is objectively wrong. Razz
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
For the Square Enix poll, I only included games that Square Enix developed (instead of simply published) so that may be why some games are not listed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Chopper's original heavy point wasn't as weird as the one seen in that pic. A lot of things about chopper were better in early one piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3