• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Takeshi Kitano is Critical of the Japanese Film Industry and Miyazaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
kdmccaskill wrote:
I agree with this man 100% about Miyazaki, I don't like his animation or stories, Miyazaki gets all the praise from the west, when all he is doing is
a Japanese version of Disney, while creators of animation like Gundam, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Attack on Titan, Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun, Elfien Lied

never get any praise form the american film industry,
why because Mizayaki is partners with Disney, they even have a deal for Disney to distribute their films

Mizazaki makes Animation for 5-10 year olds, because his former company is a Disney Clone, I don't consider Studio Ghibli an anime company, in my eyes Bones, madhouse, production ig are way better,
and Ghibi is a Disney company

Disney gave up on 2d animation, the Japanese are masters of 2d animation making details that Disney can only compete with by going 3d, Anime and Manga are the greatest art forms that we have on the planet, and I thank god for creating the Japanese

Ick. "Japanese version of Disney." What do you think supports that. Oh yeah, Princess Mononoke and Porco Rosso are EXACTLY like Disney movies. You just seem like another one of those people that hate Miyazaki because his films are universally loved and that it's his fault that all of your precious anime doesn't get the attention you want it to. And so you compare it to Disney. Why? Because most of his films cross the age boundary? Oh gee, what a crime.

Forget about Miyazaki. Without him those anime would still be just as niche as ever. Miyazaki's movies generally have a mass appeal. That's why they're popular. It's as simple as that. And what do you mean by those other anime not getting American recognition? Akira and Ghost in the Shell get cited as inspirations for filmmakers ALL THE TIME. And I don't really see why anybody could dislike the animation in his films. It's of undisputed high quality. And in the realm of anime, what more do they have to go up against anyway? Talking heads and reused animation cuts? I never understood arguments like this. It's like, if you don't like the animation in some of the most expensive anime films, then how could anything else possibly match up? Character designs disregarded.

Disney is hardly chummy with everything the studio does. They don't release half of the stuff that is deemed to inappropriate for younger audiences, and the movies they DO bother to release they just kind of throw out there under the radar. If Disney had such a hard on for Ghibli they would have gave it a stronger Oscar campaign for The Wind Rises. They stopped truly caring after Spirited Away. And that was only made a reality because John Lasseter begged them to release them.

Studio Ghibli make Japanese animated films. Therefore they are an anime company. Don't argue with me over pathetic visual differences or other trivial stuff. There was never a law that said all anime had to look exactly the same. But most studios follow this imaginary law anyway.

"Disney gave up on 2d animation, the Japanese are masters of 2d animation making details that Disney can only compete with by going 3d, Anime and Manga are the greatest art forms that we have on the planet, and I thank god for creating the Japanese" I honestly don't know if you're trolling or not with this though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

There's no anti-gay discrimination law; that's why it was a big deal when the Prime Minister's wife:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/04/27/national/first-lady-akie-abe-joins-tokyo-rainbow-pride-parade/

Actually Japan doesn't have any form of anti-discrimination bill. That's why discrimination against foreigner is very rampart from what I've read and heard.

But back on topic: I understand Takeshi Kitano is a respected man and his comment well I agree and don't agree with it.

ANN wrote:
During his speech, Kitano criticized the Japanese film industry, saying, "the bad thing about the Japanese industry is that the production companies have relationships with cinemas... If you look at the Academy Awards in Japan, it's mostly TOHO, Toei, Shochiku, and maybe Nikkatsu."

Well, I can understand where's he coming from on this and he's correct and Enurtsol is correct it looks like the case of big film companies monopolizing the film market. This isn't a case in Japan, this is also an issue in South Korea too.

Quote:
He added, "I don't think any have been nominated [for the Academy Awards] that are not from these companies. And the newspapers don't mention this either, because they get ads, and that would be bad."

I'm not sure what and how to comment on this.

Quote:
Kitano also talked about studios' reluctances to tackle original material, saying "the movie companies don't have the courage to pay some unknown screenwriter, so they just have a lack of original screenwriters, and we have a lack of those resources."

This I really agreed with him, I've been observing films coming out of Asia. From what I've seen both South Korea and Mainland China are making films that can hold candle against Hollywood in term of good storylines, and production value. I've been watching Japanese films recently and they really lag behind not only Hollywood, but also Korean and Chinese films too. There are some exceptions like the Rurouni Kenshin, and some others. But Japanese films can't really hold candle against Korean and Chinese films. I agreed with him about the lack of original screenwriters in Japanese films too.

Quote:
"I don't like animation... I really don't like Hayao Miyazaki, but it is important to recognize other opinions."

This is the only I don't agreed with him. Hayao Miyazaki deserve a lot of honor for his work.

That's all I have to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The translation is a little off... In regards to both animation and Miyazaki, Kitano said "Dai kirai," (hate) a term that is VERY strong, and I think people at the festival weren't expecting it. It's a very VERY negative term, even more so than "kirai" (dislike).
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I've been watching Japanese films recently and they really lag behind not only Hollywood, but also Korean and Chinese films too.

Japanese cinema lags behind Japanese cinema of fifty years ago. If you look at the Japanese films released in the Criterion Collection -- and not just Kurosawa, but Onibaba, Kwaidan, Sword of Doom, or anything by Ozu -- it's hard to believe they're from the same country whose modern film industry seems to be a welfare system for pop idols.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
CoreSignal wrote:
danilo7 wrote:
Kitano is far-rightist, while Miyazaki is a leftist though. So they both hate modern Japan ( I am pretty sure that Miyazaki also hates "old" Japan ), but for different reasons.

I was about to say, Kitano and Miyazaki are polar opposites when it comes to politics (and film), so I'm not surprised at all with what Kitano said.

Horseshoe theory: Two extremes on a spectrum have more in common with each other than they would care to admit.

They're definitely both cranky old men
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I've been watching Japanese films recently and they really lag behind not only Hollywood, but also Korean and Chinese films too.

Japanese cinema lags behind Japanese cinema of fifty years ago. If you look at the Japanese films released in the Criterion Collection -- and not just Kurosawa, but Onibaba, Kwaidan, Sword of Doom, or anything by Ozu -- it's hard to believe they're from the same country whose modern film industry seems to be a welfare system for pop idols.

Well not really, the Japanese films back in early 2000's and any classic Japanese sci-fi films (despite how cheesy it may look today) did look way better in my opinion then the film that is coming out today. I mean I don't think you can find any recent Japanese films that can hold candle against:

Roaring Currents

The Fatal Encounter

Drug War

As I said, I watched a lot of Asian films from Japan, South Korea, and Mainland China and Japan really lag behind. I mean I don't know which recent Japanese films can hold candle against Roaring Currents in term of production values and special effects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
kdmccaskill wrote:
I agree with this man 100% about Miyazaki, I don't like his animation or stories, Miyazaki gets all the praise from the west, when all he is doing is
a Japanese version of Disney,
while creators of animation like Gundam, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Attack on Titan, Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun, Elfien Lied

never get any praise form the american film industry,
why because Mizayaki is partners with Disney, they even have a deal for Disney to distribute their films

Mizazaki makes Animation for 5-10 year olds, because his former company is a Disney Clone, I don't consider Studio Ghibli an anime company, in my eyes Bones, madhouse, production ig are way better,

Disney gave up on 2d animation, the Japanese are masters of 2d animation making details that Disney can only compete with by going 3d, Anime and Manga are the greatest art forms that we have on the planet, and I thank god for creating the Japanese

kdmccaskill, your post was hilarious. I highlighted all my favorite parts.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
kdmccaskill wrote:
in my eyes Bones, madhouse, production ig are way better,

Guess who owns a controlling stake in Madhouse? Back when Madhouse was on the verge of bankruptcy in 2005, Disney came in and more or less bought them. At the time, there was a lot of panic at the studio and they were selling all the artwork they had locked up, not only in an attempt to bail themselves out, but because they knew that once Disney came in, nothing was going to get out anymore.

Not like that should be a news flash to anyone, though. There's a reason why Madhouse has been behind every Marvel/Disney property for years.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well not really, the Japanese films back in early 2000's and any classic Japanese sci-fi films (despite how cheesy it may look today) did look way better in my opinion then the film that is coming out today.

There just isn't many Japanese films released to theatres any more. The last one I recall was "13 Assassins" in 2010, before that, "Departures" a year prior (and a very limited release at that). International film distributors don't seem to be interested in them. Compare with the amount of anime features which have had theatrical or limited releases in the same period.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:

There just isn't many Japanese films released to theatres any more. The last one I recall was "13 Assassins" in 2010, before that, "Departures" a year prior (and a very limited release at that). International film distributors don't seem to be interested in them. Compare with the amount of anime features which have had theatrical or limited releases in the same period.

I agree a bit... the last live action Japanese film that I saw at a cinema in Australia not during a film festival was "Norwegian Wood". Last live action Japanese movie on video that I saw was Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

We've just had http://japanesefilmfestival.net/ and I saw both Thermae Romae movies.

Usually I just watch live action Japanese movies on the plane to and from Japan.

Anime movies get shown here at events like http://www.reelanime.com/ and http://www.studioghibli.com.au/
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
gloverrandal wrote:
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
You could even argue they're more anti-gay than they are here in the US.

Until Japan has lynch mobs for homosexuals like we do, I don't see how. And that problem only seems to be increasing every year here, sadly.

I can't fully support my statements since I have no real intensive study of Japanese culture but I do believe that they are slightly more comfortable with homosexuality than the States

Yeah, umm.... no. Japan is not at all more accepting of homosexuality than the United States. Source

You can't extrapolate from anime/manga (itself an extremely niche part of society). Yaoi's there for fangirls and yuri for the fanboys, so it doesn't follow that they're ok with it in the real world. We have same sex marriage in 32 states now. Japan hasn't even considered same sex marriage... or even civil unions . The aging population is primarily the culprit here though. If you look at that study a very high percentage of 18-29 y/o japanese are in favor of homosexuality.

I've researched this stuff before as I'm a lesbian whose partner/girlfriend/future wife has been offered jobs in East Asia. She turned them down as it meant I couldn't stay with her since they wouldn't recognize our marriage (once we're married).

For the user who made the lynch mob comment... where do you live??? Shocked
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
Every single talk about doom of modern day Japanese is heavily exaggerated. It is still a cinema that is home to Sion Sono, Katsuhito Ishii, Naomi Kawase and many others who make great films quite regularly. But seeing how people here mostly talked about epic action movies with good special effects, I think that our definition of what constitutes a great movie greatly differs.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
I can't fully support my statements since I have no real intensive study of Japanese culture but I do believe that they are slightly more comfortable with homosexuality than the States

Google "Hard Gay" and enjoy the plethora of Youtube videos.

It's not so much the actor that portrays this character, it's the reaction of the Japanese public.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
So Kitano is upset that award shows are all politics? I always assumed that was common knowledge, and why I don't care about awards and roll my eyes at people who try to use awards as some barometer to a movie's quality.

Lili-Hime wrote:
For the user who made the lynch mob comment... where do you live???

I dunno about lunch mobs, but apparently assaults are a thing in the bigger cities. It mostly affects men than women though. After all, lesbians are hot, and guys don't get that privilege. All the stuff like that I read really makes me scratch my head at people who try to say Japan is a less tolerant of gay people. Japan in general is a lot safer to live than the US is. Though I guess some states acknowledging gay marriage doesn't mean you won't be assaulted afterwards by some jerks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:

All the stuff like that I read really makes me scratch my head at people who try to say Japan is a less tolerant of gay people. Japan in general is a lot safer to live than the US is.

Tolerance extends beyond just violence. It also covers discriminatory exclusion and denial of rights. They may not physically hurt you, but they don't have to acknowledge your existence or stand up for your dignity, treated like a non-person. (Now ya understand the phenomena of hikikomori and workplace bullying.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5