• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell: Arise Blu-Ray 1-2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Sentire wrote:
Personally, I don't mind "cold and impersonal" in a cyberized world or character. I have always liked Kusanagi's temperament. It seemed necessary and believable. Her personality was harmonious to the story and just fit. In fact, I'm a little worried I may find the new (younger) Kusanagi a bit.... annoying.

I have watched everything else, so there is no way I'm going to skip "Arise".

Completely agree. I think the cold and detached personalities are part of the appeal of GITS. It's fits the setting, and the characters are stone-cold professionals who rarely panic or have any hesitations. It's a different approach to storytelling that some people will like and some people won't. Anyway, I recommend checking out Arise, Sentire. I didn't find younger Kusanagi to be annoying. If anything, I think they "softened" her personality a bit, so she's not as detached. She's a little more expressive than before. You see her get angry and even a little worried in a couple scenes.

Thanks for the feedback, CoreSignal. I will withhold judgement until I actually watch it, which I still plan to. I imagine that it must be tricky to portray Kusanagi younger, making her more expressive, without losing the sense or "essence" of her.
treatment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
I had high hopes for Arise but it wasn't until I watched it that it fell into place that it wasn't a prequel to the Movie or SAC but a whole new reboot to the franchise. Something they don't really spell out unless you pay good attention and have seen the previous works of the franchise.

Really tried to give it a chance but in the end I thought it was alright but not worth owning it had a lot of techno bable and all the deep meaning crap the Movie had, that for me bored me at times.

What techno babble?

Arise is pretty straight forward. It actually had even less techno babble than SAC, imo.

Quote:
SAC and 2nd GIG etc, was the closest thing to the Manga series with a cohesive enough story that had a mix of all the things necessary to be great series.

And I don't know why but that red outfit of Motoko just rubbed me the wrong way it's color to be exact, that and she only uses her trusty Seburo M-5 pistol in the opening sequence and not the show lame.

She wore other clothing in this series.

She didn't even wear any, sometimes...

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Maybe it was just the color but that Red leather outfit just got old real fast for me personally.

When I watched part 4 and she wore the grey combat outfit with optical camo I said it's about dam time she wore something badass when it's a action scene. Her Military Uniform was pretty close to all the other versions so it plain/normal.

After watching part 1 I really didn't want to watch the rest right away like I did with SAC.

Arise just didn't excite me enough, this was suppose to be the new GITS project and this is what we got I hope if their is a next one that it's much better.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
The only part of this series I liked was the third part. Overall, Arise was a competent but mediocre series to me. I was very disappointed.

Quote:
Masamune Shirow, the creator of Ghost in the Shell, has no peer in anime and manga when it comes to imagining a future with cybertechnology...
I'll agree with that.
Quote:
One of the few who comes close is Tow Ubukata...
Not even close in my opinion. Arise is just a shell of what the franchise used to be, Mardock Scramble has a lot of shock jock going on, Fafner is so-so and Psycho-pass 2 is so far feeling mediocre too.

Quote:
The soundtrack...is a decidedly mixed bag. It relies heavily on electronica themes and sounds, many of which are underwhelming and sometimes feel like a drag on the story content...
Well, I'll agree with this too. If I recall I didn't like the Ex Machina soundtrack either.

I'm really interested in hearing the dub. Its understandable to me that they needed to change the dub cast since its a different company (Funi) and its possible that some new voices might make it sound fresh to newcomers. I don't know why they had McGlynn in it since I would expect her voice to be distracting. Personally GITS:SAC is one of my favorite dubs, so either use the original cast or don't use them. Throwing someone in there from the original cast playing a different character could be problematic. I also don't buy that they needed to change the Japanese cast because the characters were younger. What ridiculous nonsense was that. Its not like they were teenagers in the new show. Plus come on, Kusanagi could have any cyber body she wanted with any voice. She could have been in a loli body with the voice of a chain smoking old man. Just say you wanted to change the cast. No need for silly excuses.
Ghostless

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't completely agree with One Eye but there it is. (Some)People complain about techno babble & philosophical introspections meanwhile the "problem" of Arise is that it does'nt delve into the themes tackled by the franchise. 20 years after the movie theater release, there are still YT videos and pieces analyzing & researching this unmatched & unreachable masterpiece. #BringMamoruBack or Kamiyama.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Maybe it was just the color but that Red leather outfit just got old real fast for me personally.

When I watched part 4 and she wore the grey combat outfit with optical camo I said it's about dam time she wore something badass when it's a action scene. Her Military Uniform was pretty close to all the other versions so it plain/normal.

Don't forget that the Major is still a civilian in Arise, so she doesn't have access to all her gear. Besides, this is a prequel so she's not a complete badass yet.

One-Eye wrote:
Not even close in my opinion. Arise is just a shell of what the franchise used to be,

I think it's a little early to declare GITS a bad series now, just because of one mediocre entry (two, if you count Innocence, Smile )

One-Eye wrote:
Personally GITS:SAC is one of my favorite dubs, so either use the original cast or don't use them.

There are probably a lot of reasons why they didn't use the original cast. I'm sure location had a lot to do with it, since it would've been a hassle for the recording sessions to go back and forth from California to Texas.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Ghostless wrote:
I don't completely agree with One Eye but there it is. (Some)People complain about techno babble & philosophical introspections meanwhile the "problem" of Arise is that it does'nt delve into the themes tackled by the franchise.

I agree. I think Arise is a fine effort, but it's nowhere close to the movies or SAC. That said, I think that was point. Arise is supposed to be a different approach from previous entries in the franchise. I'm guessing that's partly why they did a prequel/reboot instead of a straight sequel.

Ghostless wrote:
20 years after the movie theater release, there are still YT videos and pieces analyzing & researching this unmatched & unreachable masterpiece. #BringMamoruBack or Kamiyama.

I disagree a bit here. The original movie is a classic and it's visually stunning, but I personally think the SAC series and even the manga, explores the same themes in better detail and in a more interesting way.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Not even close in my opinion. Arise is just a shell of what the franchise used to be,
I think it's a little early to declare GITS a bad series now, just because of one mediocre entry (two, if you count Innocence, Smile )

Well, I didn't "declare" that GITS as a whole is now bad, but that I found Arise to be mediocre. I'm not one of those fans that wants only more of the same. I'm ok with changes. I'm ok that there's a new dub cast. I'm ok that its not exactly SAC. However, what are they bringing to the table to make it interesting and stand out on its own? In that regard there wasn't much that caught my eye.

Quote:
One-Eye wrote:
Personally GITS:SAC is one of my favorite dubs, so either use the original cast or don't use them.
There are probably a lot of reasons why they didn't use the original cast. I'm sure location had a lot to do with it, since it would've been a hassle for the recording sessions to go back and forth from California to Texas.

Which is why I said "Its understandable to me that they needed to change the dub cast since its a different company (Funi)..." My whole point was that they should do one or the other not a half measure approach by having one of the original cast in it.

Ghostless wrote:
(Some)People complain about techno babble & philosophical introspections meanwhile the "problem" of Arise is that it does'nt delve into the themes tackled by the franchise.
Yea, to a certain extent I felt this way too. Arise felt like an ordinary cybercop drama to me and it didn't really stand out in that sense. I thought the third episode was decent because it helped flesh out Kusanagi's background more and even humanize her. I think going forward (if they decide to do so) this will make her more appealing to newcomers of the franchise.

I still plan to buy Arise as I'm a fan of the franchise (its a shame that it doesn't have a proper artbox) and I hope they continue the franchise. I just would like to see them do something a little different than what they did here.
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I knew they wouldn't get crispin back and mcglynn wouldn't voice kusanagi but I can't deal with not having knight as aramaki and epcar as batou.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Well, I didn't "declare" that GITS as a whole is now bad, but that I found Arise to be mediocre. I'm not one of those fans that wants only more of the same. I'm ok with changes. I'm ok that there's a new dub cast. I'm ok that its not exactly SAC. However, what are they bringing to the table to make it interesting and stand out on its own? In that regard there wasn't much that caught my eye.

I picked up the boxset a couple days ago and the liner notes/booklets have great interviews with the staff. Here's a quote from Ubukata:

"Chief Director Kise told me he wanted to make this new Ghost in the Shell series something that women could identify with. And you see, to do that, we needed to start by bringing Motoko Kusanagi to life as an individual woman. We needed to really bring out emotional ups and downs, a whole range of human feeling. That was extremely challenging work because a Motoko with similar sensiblities to ours was something I'd never seen before.

Whether Ubukata did a good job or not is a whole 'nother story.

One-Eye wrote:
Which is why I said "Its understandable to me that they needed to change the dub cast since its a different company (Funi)..." My whole point was that they should do one or the other not a half measure approach by having one of the original cast in it.

I meant to say reasons why they didn't use all of the original cast. Also, why do you feel it has to be all or nothing? do you want a clean break from the original cast or something?

One-Eye wrote:
Yea, to a certain extent I felt this way too. Arise felt like an ordinary cybercop drama to me and it didn't really stand out in that sense. I thought the third episode was decent because it helped flesh out Kusanagi's background more and even humanize her. I think going forward (if they decide to do so) this will make her more appealing to newcomers of the franchise.

I can't comment on parts three and four because I haven't seen them yet. But here's a quote from Kise:

"we managed to start the series off with a look at "where Motoko's been", so it's probably an intro that's easy to understand even for people who aren't familiar with Ghost in the Shell.

and from Takeuchi, the part two director:

"When it came to directing border:2, I didn't want to make it a "fans-only, general public not welcome" sort of thing. So I wanted to broaden it a little bit to have it be fun for all kinds of different people.

Based on these comments, this is probably why they don't touch on the themes from the movies and SAC as much. So yeah, it does look like the Arise staff are going for a more "mainstream" GITS. This can good or bad depending on how you look at it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
"Chief Director Kise told me he wanted to make this new Ghost in the Shell series something that women could identify with. And you see, to do that, we needed to start by bringing Motoko Kusanagi to life as an individual woman. We needed to really bring out emotional ups and downs, a whole range of human feeling. That was extremely challenging work because a Motoko with similar sensiblities to ours was something I'd never seen before.

Whether Ubukata did a good job or not is a whole 'nother story.

Which goes along with what I said that the only part I liked was the third episode as it fleshed Kusanagi out more and humanized her. I also said it would make it more appealing to newcomers. I liked the old cool and collected Kusanagi, but I can accept them tweaking her character. Making a character a little more emotional, by itself though does not make the show standout which again goes back to my point that there was little that caught my eye or stood out of Arise.

Also the quote comes off as a little sexist. Women can only identify with Kusanagi if she has emotional ups and downs? Huh? How about she's a role model for strong women as she leads a team of men, is a genius hacker, dealt with a challenging childhood and is cool and collected under fire? He really should have said that they wanted to make her more accessible to everyone. Stating it as he did doesn't come off too well.

Quote:
One-Eye wrote:

I meant to say reasons why they didn't use all of the original cast. Also, why do you feel it has to be all or nothing? do you want a clean break from the original cast or something?

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude here but am I not being clear enough? I said right afterwards "Throwing someone in there from the original cast playing a different character could be problematic." This is supported by the review where Theron states:
Theron wrote:
Interestingly, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, the voice of Kusanagi for all other franchise installments except the first movie, is back but in a supporting role, which is a bit jolting when first heard.
I also said "I don't know why they had McGlynn in it since I would expect her voice to be distracting." So yea, either use the whole cast or don't. Do you see where I'm coming from? I also think that some people who are die hard fans of the dub, might actually get annoyed at hearing McGlynn not in Kusanagi's role but in a different one.

Quote:
Based on these comments, this is probably why they don't touch on the themes from the movies and SAC as much. So yeah, it does look like the Arise staff are going for a more "mainstream" GITS. This can good or bad depending on how you look at it.
I think that any long time fan who has seen Arise will notice that they are trying to change things up and you are correct depending on the viewer its either a positive or negative thing. I wasn't thrilled, because it felt a little shallow. However, maybe on a second viewing I will be more accepting (not going to say like, because that's not going to happen).
treatment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude here but am I not being clear enough? I said right afterwards "Throwing someone in there from the original cast playing a different character could be problematic." This is supported by the review where Theron states:
Theron wrote:
Interestingly, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, the voice of Kusanagi for all other franchise installments except the first movie, is back but in a supporting role, which is a bit jolting when first heard.
I also said "I don't know why they had McGlynn in it since I would expect her voice to be distracting." So yea, either use the whole cast or don't. Do you see where I'm coming from? I also think that some people who are die hard fans of the dub, might actually get annoyed at hearing McGlynn not in Kusanagi's role but in a different one.

Guess I can say I'm die-hard fan of the SAC-dubs (both Animaze's (yeah, even Crispin's stoic take on Togusa) and Ocean Group's), but I think McGlynn as not-Motoko is really not problematic, not distracting, not annoying and really not that big of a deal. In fact, her vocals actually matches the character-design she's voicing in Arise. She's just damn perfect for her. The only other female english vocal that can really pull a perfect Kurutsu is most definitely Janyse Jaud. Imho, of course.

I'm not really sure how Theron thought it was a bit jolting to him unless he's really just not used to english-vocals as much. Especially GITS' english varieties.

However, what really is more distracting to me are the new english vocals of Future Section-9 members. Especially Aramaki's. Sad

Interestingly, Sabat's Batou sounded kinda ok to me. At least, he's doing an ok job of aping Epcar's vocals to a certain degree. Honestly, tho, he still sound like Piccolo, but it's all good.

The new Motoko is not that bad. Quite good actually, despite some halting performance at times.

Very Happy
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Which goes along with what I said that the only part I liked was the third episode as it fleshed Kusanagi out more and humanized her. I also said it would make it more appealing to newcomers. I liked the old cool and collected Kusanagi, but I can accept them tweaking her character. Making a character a little more emotional, by itself though does not make the show standout which again goes back to my point that there was little that caught my eye or stood out of Arise.

That's why I put up the quote. Ubukata's way of distinguishing Arise from the previous GITS adaptations is by making Motoko more emotional. But if don't you think making a character more emotional makes a show stand out, then I see why you think Arise is mediocre.

One-Eye wrote:
Also the quote comes off as a little sexist. Women can only identify with Kusanagi if she has emotional ups and downs?

I can't believe he said this either, lol

One-Eye wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude here but am I not being clear enough? I said right afterwards [i]"Throwing someone in there from the original cast playing a different character could be problematic."

You're perfectly clear, you just didn't answer my question. Why is it problematic if they don't use all of the cast? if Funimation was only able to get one or two people to return, why is this such a problem?

One-Eye wrote:
So yea, either use the whole cast or don't. Do you see where I'm coming from? I also think that some people who are die hard fans of the dub, might actually get annoyed at hearing McGlynn not in Kusanagi's role but in a different one.

Well, never mind then. I guess some people have issues with voice actors switching roles in a series and some people don't.

One-Eye wrote:
I think that any long time fan who has seen Arise will notice that they are trying to change things up and you are correct depending on the viewer its either a positive or negative thing. I wasn't thrilled, because it felt a little shallow. However, maybe on a second viewing I will be more accepting (not going to say like, because that's not going to happen).

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the show. If you didn't like it, then you didn't like it. I posted those quotes because they give good insight into what the directors and writer wanted to do with Arise. Obviously, whether you think it worked or not is a separate issue.

treatment wrote:
I think McGlynn as not-Motoko is really not problematic, not distracting, not annoying and really not that big of a deal. In fact, her vocals actually matches the character-design she's voicing in Arise.

Same here. I also thought she was great as Kurutsu.

treatment wrote:
However, what really is more distracting to me are the new english vocals of Future Section-9 members. Especially Aramaki's. Sad

Interestingly, Sabat's Batou sounded kinda ok to me. At least, he's doing an ok job of aping Epcar's vocals to a certain degree. Honestly, tho, he still sound like Piccolo, but it's all good.

The new Motoko is not that bad. Quite good actually, despite some halting performance at times.

Yeah, I thought Sabat as Batou, and the new Motoko were ok for the most part. They'll probably settle into their roles better when they dub parts three and four.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I blind bought this and ended up watching it on Netflix after they came. I thought they were good. I don't really like any of the GitS films (the original or the SAC one) but I love both series with 2nd Gig being my favorite, kinda by a long shot due to the political thriller aspects of it and the awesome stand-alone episodes.

Anyways, Arise was good. I watched it in Japanese because I thought it'd be easier to take them throwing out the voice acting baby with the bathwater if I watched in a foreign language rather than the English that I'd fallen in love with. It seemed fine to me and wasn't jarring so I think I made a good choice. Anyways, good stories. I was glad they were more SAC than movie 1 style GitS. I hope we can one day get a SAC season 3.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:41 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Dessa wrote:
They are, but if you ignore the crap that is 2nd Gig, Arise fits pretty well in with SAC.

2nd Gig can't be crap, because it's got Sakakibara Yoshiko providing one of the voices. As far as story ... , I can't say because I haven't finished it. I don't even remember how many 2nd Gig episodes I watched long, long ago. I bought the Manga/Bandai DTS DVDs while they were being released, and I'll rebuy a nice Blu-ray set that includes English subtitles. Maybe I'm waiting for Blu-ray to finish watching the series? Hmm...

I have been buying the Arise import BDs via Funi/TRSI as they've been released, but I still haven't watched the second and third OVAs.

well i liked 2nd gig. the ending of the 1st season is what i didn't liked.

regardless i like this OVA. Unfortunately the casting definitely left something to be desired. sure the voices are fine excluding aramaki but to be frank, it would have been better off for the series had used the SAC cast for the OVA or if by some luck they are able to get mimi woods to reprise her role as kusanagi if she sill doing voicework
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4