• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Monster Cast, Theme Singers Return for tri. Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MysticMew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I think I wasn't even quite aware how bad you had it in that regard until the movie came out here. Because THAT was "dub-dubbed" from the American version, including the music. Really put a big bummer on that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
I think I wasn't even quite aware how bad you had it in that regard until the movie came out here. Because THAT was "dub-dubbed" from the American version, including the music. Really put a big bummer on that one.

I was impressed at them trying to fuse 3 completely unrelated movies together, but it ended up being filled with plotholes and bad writing. Digimon is one of my most disliked dub that isn't a straight up parody dub or a 4Kids dub, because the dialog and jokes every other line make it feel like a parody dub but the way it's executed gives you the impression they want you to take it as a straight dub. The voice acting and stock music also really ruin the atmosphere as well. Tri will either not be dubbed or it will get another similar dub for Nickelodeon. I'm hoping with the Blu-Ray release of Digimon we would get something of a re-dub and proper release like Viz did with Sailor Moon, but Saban is a really bad company given their work on Super Sentai and seem to be fine ignoring fans of the original.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Conko wrote:
With Digimon Adventure Tri next season what order should the Digimon series be watched in?Do I need to watch anything before watching Tri?

Well, Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02 would be a good start...

That said, since Digimon is a kids show and the first two seasons are 15 years old, I'm guessing they'll make it pretty accessible to new viewers.

Yeah, I'm curious how they are going to handle that too since it's been so long.

The only one that would be most beneficial to watch prior to this is Digimon Adventure, the first series, since this show is supposedly not adhering to the events of Digimon Adventure 02.

I've enjoyed the ones that came after Adventure 02 though so I think they are worth watching if you end up enjoying any of them and have the time.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Tamers is a definite must.

Frontier and Savers were so-so. I enjoyed them in parts but they never had quite the spark as the first two.

Xros Wars/Fusion... well, that was the only one I saw in Original Japanese with subs. It's quite a bit different. The first two parts were actually fairly good after you got used to the difference. If it hadn't been for the third part, I may have liked this more.

As for watching... Yes, Adventures 01 is probably a good place to start. If they were not to follow 02 though, I wonder how they would pull that off even if the original crew didn't have that great a part in things, they still did. Is it going to be divergence? Are they just going to ignore 02? I find that rather hard to believe, especially since the Tri thing in the title would also be confusing then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I wouldnt mind too much if the 02 cast was there, as long as they didn't get too much focus? But at the same time I wouldn't want them to just be "there", unless it was a cameo/surprise/"hey that looks just like ______!" appearance.

And I do admit, and am a bit ashamed/embarrased about it, that after all these years, there is one thing about that 02 epilogue that I (or my inner/past 11-year old self) am still bitter about.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

I'm hoping with the Blu-Ray release of Digimon we would get something of a re-dub and proper release like Viz did with Sailor Moon, but Saban is a really bad company given their work on Super Sentai and seem to be fine ignoring fans of the original.

One of my biggest issues with the Digimon dub is the script. For when it aired, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Looking back, it was a kids show dub to a T. It hasn't aged well. There's a lot of pop culture references that really don't make sense anymore in the actual script due to when it was written.

I do think if it were to get a redub, I'd strongly prefer if they could grab the original cast and staff back because I thought the cast they had were nice. The problem mainly lied with the script. It got better with Tamers, Frontier and Savers but the first two seasons were hit really bad with the early 2000s kids anime dub. It does feel like Xros Wars/Fusion is being hit by the same issue as the original two seasons now that it's back in Saban's hands.

Considering Zyuranger's original run was released by Shout, I think if people support that, it might show them that there is an audience for the uncut Sentai releases.

I'd totally buy a subbed Digimon set as well as the dub if they were done in a format like Discotek's Samurai Pizza Cats/Teyandee release.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
MysticMew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
And I do admit, and am a bit ashamed/embarrased about it, that after all these years, there is one thing about that 02 epilogue that I (or my inner/past 11-year old self) am still bitter about.

Don't be ashamed, there were a lot of things I did not agree with concerning the epilogue, mostly the pairings *cough*. Anime smile I am curious though what that one thing is? I probably have more...

All that discussion has actually made me realize it has been quite awhile since I last rewatched Adventures... maybe I should before Tri to get in the mood but it might be a little short on time for that. Smile
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

One of my biggest issues with the Digimon dub is the script. For when it aired, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Looking back, it was a kids show dub to a T. It hasn't aged well. There's a lot of pop culture references that really don't make sense anymore in the actual script due to when it was written.

Considering Zyuranger's original run was released by Shout, I think if people support that, it might show them that there is an audience for the uncut Sentai releases.

As dated as the dub is/was, I gotta give them props for at least somewhat acknowledging that the kids didn't live in the U.S? Hard to explain, but I appreciated they didn't just use U.S- related names for where they lived (like if they mentioned the kids lived in NYC/Los Angeles/ect.). Sure they did the same with a few of their actual names, but it did make sense and weren't too different from their JPN names (Matt /Yamato, Izzy/Izumi [last name, iirc], ect.) Granted, I am not sure why they changed Tai and Kari's last name in the dub, IIRC.

...and Zyuranger is already out?! How did I not know this?

MysticMew wrote:

Don't be ashamed, there were a lot of things I did not agree with concerning the epilogue, mostly the pairings *cough*. Anime smile I am curious though what that one thing is? I probably have more...

Haha, basically it was spoiler[ the standard "Sora's with Matt?! She's supposed to be with Tai!! D: *dramatically cries* " fault I had with the epilogue, especially considering, in comparison, Kari didn't end up with T.K. or Davis (or basically we had no idea who she ended up with). Granted, I am full aware that the dub did some shipping/pairing stuff that the original didn't have.
I will say that I did kinda like how/that the dub did that semi-infamous Tai and Sora conversation (concerning Matt) in 02. When I rewatched that scene a few years back, I know I actually felt bad for Tai and it was painful to watch.

Honorable "issue I had with 02 epilogue" mention goes to : "Noodle Cart." ]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
Don't be ashamed, there were a lot of things I did not agree with concerning the epilogue, mostly the pairings *cough*. Anime smile

Maybe if Toei Animation is nice, they will do a retcon/new ending where Taiora is realized.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
AHHHHHHHHHH! How can you not be hyped for this? Only turn off is the character designs, but I will get use to it of course. Im going to rewatch Digimon 01, Our War Game, in Japanese, skip everything 02 related, and head into Tri(Tri should be on its last 2 episodes when I finish).

Radrappy wrote:
does it freak anyone else out how they all have the same proportions and hair now? The original show had such fun and cartoony proportions that made it always easy to tell who was who:

Its called create a character. lol
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:

As dated as the dub is/was, I gotta give them props for at least somewhat acknowledging that the kids didn't live in the U.S? Hard to explain, but I appreciated they didn't just use U.S- related names for where they lived (like if they mentioned the kids lived in NYC/Los Angeles/ect.). Sure they did the same with a few of their actual names, but it did make sense and weren't too different from their JPN names (Matt /Yamato, Izzy/Izumi [last name, iirc], ect.) Granted, I am not sure why they changed Tai and Kari's last name in the dub, IIRC.

iirc, most of the characters got the dub names as nicknames in the first episode. They kept the original names but used the nicknames as the primary names, if that makes sense. There was a few name changes though, like Tai's last name, changed Jo's name to Joe but that just might be a local thing, shortened Takeru to TK and Hikari to Kari.

02 got the most changes with Daisuke becoming Davis (but keeping the last name), Miyako becoming Yolei (again keeping the last name) and Iori becoming Cody (keeping the last name.) For the most part, they kept the last names the same outside of Yagami.
Umeko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Shinraisei wrote:
Umeko wrote:
The image says that both Butter-Fly and brave heart will be new recordings. The version of Butter-Fly on the re-fly mini album is the original recording, though.

Oh? I had been looking for a tracklist but hadn't seen one up yet (nor mention on Wada Kouji's twitter--though I'm speaking to one of the Re-fly tweets). Is there a tracklist up yet then? Surprised

EDIT: And I knew the two songs were new recordings, I was using the wrong word when I was writing that post

Here you go! I'm personally really excited for the title song re-fly, it really seems like it's meant to be a "sequel" to Butter-Fly Very Happy (and until this announcement I was strongly suspecting re-fly would be the OP).

Lynx Amali wrote:
Freyanne wrote:

iirc, most of the characters got the dub names as nicknames in the first episode. They kept the original names but used the nicknames as the primary names, if that makes sense. There was a few name changes though, like Tai's last name, changed Jo's name to Joe but that just might be a local thing, shortened Takeru to TK and Hikari to Kari.

02 got the most changes with Daisuke becoming Davis (but keeping the last name), Miyako becoming Yolei (again keeping the last name) and Iori becoming Cody (keeping the last name.) For the most part, they kept the last names the same outside of Yagami.

Jou's Japanese name is actually officially, well, Joe. It's spelled that way on all the official merchandise (at least all of the merch coming out now), and I'm pretty sure it's also spelled that way in the second ending "keep on" (EDIT: yup). (Doesn't stop me from spelling it "Jou" out of habit/personal preference though, haha.)

And yeah, in the dub the Americanized names were all nicknames (in the beginning of the first episode when you see their names, they're all in the form of "Taichi 'Tai' Kamiya" etc.). iirc the Tokyopop translation of the (pretty damn awful) manga (manhua?) threw in the Japanese names on rare occasions when the kids were being referred to formally or whatnot.

As for Yagami->Kamiya, I'm not sure there was ever an official reason given for that one, but back in the day the main theories were it was because of what the name spelled backwards (unlikely imo, it seems far too silly), or because "Yagami" means "eight gods" and polytheism would be offensive to Americans or something (also unlikely imo...).
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

Digimon is one of my most disliked dub that isn't a straight up parody dub or a 4Kids dub, because the dialog and jokes every other line make it feel like a parody dub...

How many people did you survey to come up with that conclusion? I'm sure there are many people who understand the dub not being the greatest, but many people grew with it and accept it for what it is, not for what it could have been based on its' source material.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I actually like 02 a lot, though I'm still not sure why Davis was the leader and not TK (who took that role quite often anyway).

Emerje

Dem goggles, man.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Nostalgia is at 100%!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5