• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Bits of Sailor Moon Merchandise No One Really Needs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, popular franchises just get taken way too far. I think I liked it better when my limit for weird or unnecessary product placement was Tales characters appearing on curry packets.

In response to the best FF healer character poll, I'm sure a ton of people who are longtime fans will likely choose Rosa or Aerith, but my vote goes to Porom. She was rocking healing spells at a younger age than Rosa and became a master of White Magic before she even turned ten. That, and keeping her sometimes doofus brother in line when the situation called for it.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Still don't understand the problem with the maxi pads. Rather have something merchandised than boring designs/nothing, especially when I was younger and first time dealing with it all.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Still don't understand the problem with the maxi pads. Rather have something merchandised than boring designs/nothing, especially when I was younger and first time dealing with it all.

I just feel like its a weird direction to take with a magical girl series. Like, typically, with a magical girl series, you're trying to appeal to male audiences who like moe and female audiences who like the concept of magical girls (with a few exceptions). Usually this audience is comprised of viewers who are quite young and girls picture themselves as the magical girls. A lot of them grow out of it, and the series becomes just something of a childhood memory. There isn't really a particular reason for buying maxi pads specifically for a magical girl series, and I don't see the market for this nor the amount of ability to compete against others of its brand.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
And now with no creepy but hilarious sex toys dear mods as Lazarus- Form Recovery saved my post. But the rifle was fine... decency it is.
The Sailor Moon manga and my library copies have been doing crazy numbers thank to Crystal. Thank you TOEI for once as you sold millions on anime again or even helped to breed new generation! Crystal is the adaptation the original needed as the 90s hack-job (TOEI too) did Hearts in Ice right and not much else from a critical standpoint.
A "decent" it is and i look forward to the inevitable rest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I am very surprised that the phone wasn't on this list. Not surprised at all about the tiara, though. For $3,000, it should have actual jewels and gold on it. You really would be buying it just for the "brand name"/"name brand"/ "bragging rights" (if any, lol).

Alan45 wrote:
Concerning the mini doll food. The Japanese make a lot of this sort of miniature just for dedicated doll collectors. Most of it is about 1/6 scale or a bit smaller. I suspect that this is just an existing collection rebranded to show Sailor Moon. Anything for a few more sales.

This, pretty much.
I didn't find the mini doll food to be that weird, consider doll miniature foods have been around for a LONG time. Sanrio/Hello Kitty and even Disney have doll miniature foods. A ton of them.

But I am a bit biased since I do buy doll miniature foods every now and then, since I collect figmas/figuarts/nendoroids and do use them together.
And I have yet to lose any extra parts of my poseable anime figures, but that's because I put the pieces back in its box when I'm not using them. xD
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
@_Cyphon_:

Sailor Moon ran for years, so quite a few fans would've started getting visits from Aunt Flo if they kept up with it, which is more likely for stories with continuous arcs than yearly resets like Precure.

@Chips:

Sailor Moon was a 90s show. Mercury clearly would've been on a bag of Cooler Ranch.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
idk the maxi pads shouldn't rly be ont his list they're way more useful than the rest the stuff on the list.. i also kinda thought the contacts were cool but maybe im just weird lol. Also Celes isn't a healer type, she's more of a Rune Knight / Rune Fencer.. she tanks magic damage
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
Also, the tortilla chips were really good, but those products and flavors already existed. They weren't really Sailor Moon products, just endorsed by Sailor Moon. You see this all the time in Japan, but also in America. For example... Amazon Trail once did a collaboration with cereal. Was it an Amazon Trail cereal? No. Did it have a different flavor? No. It was just the same cereal endorsed by the Amazon Trail game, and it came with a little Amazon Trail bonus inside.

So these (and even the pads) can't really be called Sailor Moon products... The contacts, sure. But at least two of these are just endorsements, not actual products made for the anime.

Also, I would like to remind people that there is a difference between menstrual pads and Tampons.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Also, I would like to remind people that there is a difference between menstrual pads and Tampons.

Wait, there is? Sorry, I'm not very informed about this kind of stuff.
Violynne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
The most terrifying mental image this list gives me is the notion more males will buy the #1 product than females.

It's disappointing to see the anime industry throw images on anything it can. Tissue box covers is nice, but food? Overpriced plastic?

Disheartening, especially having read news this industry can't even support its own artists' housing without crowdsourcing assistance.

Pretty pathetic.
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
Some of those items are multi-purpose, so it doesn't surprise me and fans will buy anything related to the show. "They're collectibles."

On another note, the poll for next week is a bit odd, considering that it is trying to get people to vote for their favorite Final Fantasy healer...most of whom, I don't use to heal and don't learn healing unless you designate them to do so. Ashe from XII is my main attacker, not a healer, same goes with Edgar from VI, Celes from VI, and Lightning from XIII. I guess it is a matter of preference for the player on how a character is used. If I had to designate the "best," I would choose Mog from VI, since he becomes a tank with the right equipment- the best healer is able to heal others when needed and is hard to kill, not squishy.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
It's disappointing to see the anime industry throw images on anything it can. Tissue box covers is nice, but food? Overpriced plastic?

That happens with pretty much any notable franchise. Food and plastic items of various shapes are both trillion-dollar businesses.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
It happens in the US as well. Mostly aimed at kids. Even band aids have franchise images on them.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Yep. Some trash collector out there has all this nonsense and more in mint and unopened condition to "preserve the value"... of the maxi pads... Well done capitalism!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
See nothing wrong with a Hello Kitty assault rifle. Personally, I wouldn't mind having one with NERV alarm hexes all over it.

Gun owners too, can be fans of anime and Japanese pop culture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4