• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Oyaji-san Leaves A Gift

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Yaki-udon wrote:
As a Japanese who loves both Japan and America, I don't want to believe he is a 100 percent Japanese.

Don't worry dude. One individual does not represent an entire nation. Whatever egregious behavior this man displayed is attributable to him and him alone.

The thing that confused me most about this story was that it seemed to imply that voice actors are the more desirable convention guests ahead of key production members? Really?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:

The thing that confused me most about this story was that it seemed to imply that voice actors are the more desirable convention guests ahead of key production members? Really?

Yep. Go to a convention and wander in to a panel for a director, producer or screenwriter; it'll be half full, unless the panel name says it's specifically about a current hit show they worked on (Gen Urobuchi notwithstanding). Japanese voice actors will do a little better.

US voice actors will pack the panel rooms 90% of the time. It's just what the audience apparently wants.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yep. Go to a convention and wander in to a panel for a director, producer or screenwriter; it'll be half full, unless the panel name says it's specifically about a current hit show they worked on (Gen Urobuchi notwithstanding). Japanese voice actors will do a little better.

US voice actors will pack the panel rooms 90% of the time. It's just what the audience apparently wants.

I worked at Tekkoshocon and this question was brought up. The reason for the difference is the fact that since there's no language barrier with the English voice actors, the fans are able to connect with them better. With Japanese staff, you're pretty much reliant on an interpreter which causes some of the "moment" to be lost.

Not to mention that most casual fans will be watching dubbed anime over the hardcore ones that are strictly sub.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:

Ringggg! "Hello, is Bruce there?", she chimed for the umpteenth time. "OMG, didn't someone tell you......I hate to be the one to inform you about Bruce but I shall if you insist", I intoned in a somber voice. "What??" "Tell me!" she replied, voice lilting a full-note downward in anticipation of hearing news. "Bruce was involved in a traffic accident recently and is presently in the hospital recuperating. I'm not allowed to divulge any more info than this. He's likely going to be out for several days, in my opinion however."

After the crying stopped she hung up. That cheap shot was almost worth the 3 weeks of solitude. There we were, blissfully keying in coordinates onscreen as CAD professionals without psycho-social interruption. I informed my workstation co-worker that he was now officially dead. Expect no more calls from New York.

Of course there is no greater wrath than a woman scorned but that's a tale for another time. Factory clime......still do not miss it.

Can't believe you went that far! So...what happened when she figured it out?

Oyaji-san doesn't seem like such a bad guy. Sure, he's weird, can't keep a secret, a bit rude, and has low opinions of Americans, but he's nice to his fans, and that has to count for something, right? Right?
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Quote:

I worked at Tekkoshocon and this question was brought up. The reason for the difference is the fact that since there's no language barrier with the English voice actors, the fans are able to connect with them better. With Japanese staff, you're pretty much reliant on an interpreter which causes some of the "moment" to be lost.

Not to mention that most casual fans will be watching dubbed anime over the hardcore ones that are strictly sub.

Hmmm, that's really interesting. I mean the voice actors play an important part in bringing any story to life, but how much can they really say about it? Unless they go in depth on their acting method or something? I guess my interests just don't align with the majority of convention goers. As far as the language barrier goes, it's kind of surprising that it would pose any kind of serious impediment to who are essentially fans of foreign film.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

It's weird, though, because it seems like all I ever see is complaints that there aren't enough Japanese guests. Going by the likes on Fanime's guests page, the Japanese guests seem a lot more popular (Ai Nonaka has almost 3 times as many as the most popular American guest). I guess it's just that there's an overwhelming number of casual fans who either don't know who the Japanese guests even are, or are too impatient to sit through a translator-mediated panel, and don't talk about the con at all until the day it starts.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

“Did you know that in addition to being obsessed with model kits, he's a huge Japanese right-winger, who considers Japanese culture to be superior to all others? You should've heard the comments he was making downstairs!” I peered over my shoulder at him. He was an older dude, in his 50s or 60s, and I wondered if he was one of those extreme right-wing Japanese nationalists I'd heard about, the kind that drive down city streets with bullhorns telling people to dress more Japanese, and that they should've won the war.

Creator Yoshinobu Nishizaki of Space Battleship Yamato fame was also another self-avowed nationalist.

kotomikun wrote:

I guess it's just that there's an overwhelming number of casual fans who either don't know who the Japanese guests even are, or are too impatient to sit through a translator-mediated panel, and don't talk about the con at all until the day it starts.

Can't expect casual fans to behave like diehard fans - that's why they're casuals; otherwise they'd be diehards.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
It's weird, though, because it seems like all I ever see is complaints that there aren't enough Japanese guests.

Japanese guest fans are more insistent (generally), but are MUCH less numerous (unfortunately).

As for types of guests, the simple fact is that most fans don't know NAMES of guests (actors are generally better promoted/promoters, so therefore better known by name). Also, Shirobako not withstanding, many people frankly don't know what most of the staff of an anime DOES (and therefore why they should care what they have to say).

Cons can normally get a lot of excitement if they can announce mangaka (since they can draw AND answer questions about "random pairing X"). Voice actors are next (since they can answer "how do I get into the industry" and "please do X voice"). Anyone else, you're pretty much left with the vagaries of "what was it like to work on X title". Obvious exceptions are people like Miyazaki who would probably just get tons of "you're awesome" if he wasn't a notorious curmudgeon.

The other "benefit" for voice actors is they can cover MANY anime, so odds are if they're prolific you'll like SOMETHING they've done/worked on, vs. others might be more "narrow" in scope.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what was my favorite bit of this piece.

That sniping between the designer and his handler.

Our brave storyteller shining bright like a diamond.

Or the eccentric trolling of Oyaji-san.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Just chiming in to say this is my most favorite column ever, after AN-Nina went away. Crying or Very sad
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Maybe, just maybe, there should be a blacklist for guests who get too disruptive in a con, to ban them from all North American cons all together.

Word gets around. People who are too demanding, commit crimes (ie. There was a guest that embezzled some charity auction funds..) or are just too eccentric for their own good are often not asked to return, either to that convention or others.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
So, if a guest turns to their handler and says "I'm going to sign for two hours", they're going to do exactly that. If a guest says "I'm going to draw for everyone", they do exactly that. Yes, it is difficult on their handlers, convention staff and anyone else that has to modify that guest's schedule to deal with this request, however, upsetting the guest is the first and foremost thing that conventions want to avoid. They don't want to risk the potential fallout from that person returning to Japan and talking about their 'poor treatment' could have on their con. This is especially true when it concerns big name guests.

So, in response to your statement, it is very much ok for a guest to blow off their schedule. Short of a criminal action, they can do whatever they want.

Problem there is that if a guest's autograph session gets delayed because a guest insists on doing a particular thing, that's going to cut into another guest's autograph time. Anime Expo has a pretty packed autograph session schedule. If Oyaji-san was intentionally delaying himself, the next guest will have less time. So yes, it is important to get a guest to finish his or her autographs in time to avoid offending another guest.

By the way, the way autograph sessions work at Anime Expo (well, how it works now--I've never been to one until the 2014 one) is that you buy a numbered ticket in advance, then wait at the autograph area until that person's time begins. Then, people with tickets within a certain number range are admitted in bit by bit. They only sell a number of tickets based on the estimated amount of autographs that guest can do in the time they're given. Since a con-goer purchases something, he or she is legally guaranteed compensation. If the con-goer does not get his or her money back or given something of equivalent monetary value, he or she can sue over it.

Another thing is that these antics will annoy the attendees, which are the lifeblood of conventions. You can have a convention without guests, but you cannot have a convention without attendees. Celebrities are already under the media microscope, but a dissatisfied attendee who complains can have a ripple effect as that attendee tells friends and other acquaintances, even if they're unaware of who was causing the problem. Sometimes, it's the AX staff and volunteers, but sometimes it isn't, and AX will take the blame for that anyway.

Tempest_Wing wrote:
Maybe, just maybe, there should be a blacklist for guests who get too disruptive in a con, to ban them from all North American cons all together. It's obvious a guest of this caliber won't care in the end, but I think it's the most a con could do that is both possibly damaging for the guest in terms of reputation and not excessive like legal action. From what I've read so far, I think everybody would be happy in the end. Well, except the diehard fans of that guest.

To my knowledge, Anime Expo DOES have a blacklist, though it only extends to itself and affiliated conventions, and its contents are confidential, so I wouldn't know if Oyaji-san is on it. Stuff like the Comic-Cons are done by separate organizations and will have their own blacklists independent of anything else.

kotomikun wrote:
It's weird, though, because it seems like all I ever see is complaints that there aren't enough Japanese guests. Going by the likes on Fanime's guests page, the Japanese guests seem a lot more popular (Ai Nonaka has almost 3 times as many as the most popular American guest). I guess it's just that there's an overwhelming number of casual fans who either don't know who the Japanese guests even are, or are too impatient to sit through a translator-mediated panel, and don't talk about the con at all until the day it starts.

Dissatisfied people will be pretty likely to complain, but satisfied people will, by and large, keep quiet. When it comes to consumer reactions, no news is good news.

It also depends on the convention. Different conventions attract different people. Anime Expo, for instance, gets a high number of cosplayers, a greater proportion than most other anime conventions. Certainly though, if the sizes of crowds at various areas in the convention center are anything, people like Vic Mignogna, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Michelle Ruff will get packed rooms, even if you have to pay to get in, and then some.

The English-language voice actors tend to talk about their recent roles or personal anecdotes. They frequently go entirely off-topic (especially Kyle Hebert, but he's a blast no matter what he talks about) or say phrases in the voices of popular characters they've played. It is not much different than a celebrity guest panel at something more mainstream.

HeeroTX wrote:
As for types of guests, the simple fact is that most fans don't know NAMES of guests (actors are generally better promoted/promoters, so therefore better known by name). Also, Shirobako not withstanding, many people frankly don't know what most of the staff of an anime DOES (and therefore why they should care what they have to say).

That reminds me of how Shinichiro Watanabe came to Anime Expo. While he could probably get a pretty nicely-sized audience as he's well-known among anime fans, the crowd was even bigger when he hosted "The Space Dandy Panel" (albeit with QT's voice actor, whom I had never heard of prior to this, but it seems to be her first role.)
drscorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
By the way, the way autograph sessions work at Anime Expo (well, how it works now--I've never been to one until the 2014 one) is that you buy a numbered ticket in advance, then wait at the autograph area until that person's time begins. Then, people with tickets within a certain number range are admitted in bit by bit. They only sell a number of tickets based on the estimated amount of autographs that guest can do in the time they're given.

Wait what? AX does not sell numbered tickets.

Quote:

Since a con-goer purchases something, he or she is legally guaranteed compensation. If the con-goer does not get his or her money back or given something of equivalent monetary value, he or she can sue over it.

No. The con-goer gets a badge for their purchase. There is no "legally guaranteed compensation" (whatever the hell that is...unless you are specifically talking about the badge).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Really? I got to the Vic Mignogna line last year, and our tickets were definitely numbered. In fact, the person organizing the line sorted us into groups by a particular number range. I remember getting a ticket somewhere in the 160s (out of around 220).

I'm not sure if I had to pay for my ticket though. I was pretty sure I did when I typed it, but now I'm not sure.
drscorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Last year you got numbered tickets, but they are free. Basically the tickets are numbered and handed out in numerical order so its technically first come first serve when it gets down to it.

If someone charged you for the ticket, you need to report it immediately!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3